Time RXS pedal gripes/rant

lfcquin
lfcquin Posts: 470
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Well, what a week. On Tuesday while racing I manage to snap one of my Time RXS pedals right down the middle of the pedal axle. They are about 14 months old, so I was a bit gutted as they are JUST out of warranty.

With another race on Sunday I was keen to get a replacement pair quickly, however being a tight sod means that I have to try and get the cheapest possible and this is probably where my problem started.... (should have paid the extra £25 and got them from Wiggle)

I managed to find a nice deal on some RXS Carbon pedals (hoping that carbon will be stronger than the last pair) with All Terrain cycles. Placed the order Tuesday night and then sit back in confidence that I was sorted. On Wednesday I started to worry a little. I don't know why, but I thought I would drop them an email to find out when they would be delivered. On Thursday afternoon I get a call from them saying there are none in stock and it will be at least Tuesday (next week) before I get anything. :(

So, order cancelled I remember seeing some in Cycling Weekly at Merlin Cycles, so I jump straight on the phone to them and ask if they have stock. Yes is the answer, but no guarantee of delivery by Sunday, so I say to the guy, I'll come into the shop on Saturday and pick them up (a 70 mile round trip), Sure, he says....

So, looking on the Merlin website on Friday for the directions and I notice that the opening hours state that they only open the first Saturday of every month, which today isn't... Another phone call confirms they are closed, although why I was told the day before that a Saturday visit was cool was not explained. :x

So a frantic ring around and internet check of every bike shop in the North West that I could think of finds that there is no stock anywhere....except... Ribble :D

So a quick internet order and set for pick up at the warehouse and I am all sorted. I head over there today, pick pedals up no problems and sit back thinking problem over. So back home and fitting the pedals and for some reason the right one won't screw on. I spend about 20 minutes trying to figure it out and then a close look confirms that the thread on the pedal runs the wrong way. A quick read of the instructions and a compare against the old pedals confirms it. Unbelieveable! :x

So here I am Saturday evening with no pedals for the race tomorrow. :cry:

Then... :idea: The old pedals are red, the new pedals are grey. The broken one is the opposite one to the incorrectly threaded one. So I COULD use one old red pedal and one new grey pedal in the race tomorrow. Might look a bit silly, but at least I can race!

The question is, when it rolls around to Tuesday morning and I want to return the iffy pedals will I get away with sending back one unused pedal and one used one and should I tell them what I did :?: ... After all its not my fault and I need to race tomorrow.

Anyway thanks for listening to my rant and any comforting words that I am doing the right thing (and that Ribble will understand) would be much appreciated...

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    So you've been given two left hand pedals? I say run the one that works, then take them in on Tuesday and explain the problem, they seem like nice guys and have given me great service (I've only ordered from them once, and the day I got the parts I returned them because I didn't need them, and they were fine with it!)

If you keep the pedal in good condition, will they ever know ;)
  • lfcquin
    Yep, two different pedals, but both threaded like they were lefties. Im hoping you are right and they will look kindly on my predicament, unless I finish with the pedal looking like new!

The way I see it, I only need a new right one, they can replace that and send two new pedals back to Time.

If I win the race though, should I carry on running one pedal of each colour? COuld be lucky... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good Luck Chris!
  • lfcquin
    There might be something in this different coloured pedals thing... I managed a 2nd place in the race today. :D

Maybe I'll just keep them....

Ok, that would stupid. Will be on the phone to Ribble on Tuesday. WIll have to come clean as the used pedal looks used even after 2hrs and one race.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    lfcquin wrote:
    Well, what a week. On Tuesday while racing I manage to snap one of my Time RXS pedals right down the middle of the pedal axle. They are about 14 months old, so I was a bit gutted as they are JUST out of warranty.

Did you know that under EU rules we are actually entitled to a statutory 2 year guarantee?? Also the UK Sales of Goods Act (SOGA) says we get 6 years.

There is an article in the Money section of The Guardian (Saturday) that explains it.
    M.Rushton
  • lfcquin
    mrushton wrote:
    Did you know that under EU rules we are actually entitled to a statutory 2 year guarantee?? Also the UK Sales of Goods Act (SOGA) says we get 6 years.

There is an article in the Money section of The Guardian (Saturday) that explains it.

Thanks Mate. Will be taking a quick look at that! :D

Cheers.
  • lfcquin
    Well worded email sent to Wiggle now with a link to the article (plus another I found on the Daily Mail website) - Thanks mrushton! I found the confirmation email from when I bought the pedals and I have had them 12 months and 17 days! Hopefully Wiggle will come through for me.

Latest faulty pedals will be winging their way back to Ribble tomorrow.

Could be a fun week! :wink:
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    I've broken 2 sets of time pedals in the past 3 years. 1 pair of RXE's and a pair of RXS carbons. in both cases it was the pedal body that gave way.

I've recently bought a pair of speedplay zero's, hoping they'll last a bit longer.
  • lfcquin
    aarw wrote:
    I've broken 2 sets of time pedals in the past 3 years. 1 pair of RXE's and a pair of RXS carbons. in both cases it was the pedal body that gave way.

I've recently bought a pair of speedplay zero's, hoping they'll last a bit longer.

Pretty much the same as mine then. How do the speedplay compare? Are they good racing pedals?
  • aarw
    so far so good. the float is a lot more...floaty! The time's kind of guide your foot into the center position where the speedplays have no restriction at all.

Setup of the cleats takes a little longer - adjusting float, etc. Stepping into the pedal was, at first, hard to get used to but it seems to come more naturally now.

I've raced on them once since buying them. Once your racing you really don't think about it. They feel very secure once engaged.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I broke an RXS through the body out of warranty, and got a free replacement through my LBS returning them to distributor. I didn't buy them at the LBS either so I was well pleased. Find out who your local Time dealer is and ask them to send the original pedals back, you might get another free pair.

The distributors should do this for anyone whose pedals fail like this regardless of the age of the pedals, as long as they've been used properly. It's a "fit for purpose" thing under Sale of Goods Act, I believe.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    I've broken 2 RXS left pedals in the last 3 weeks! Both times the front hook snapped. It does look very weak with loads of stress raising moulding marks
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • lfcquin
    Looks like I have finally sorted out my pedal issues, although it has taken a few weeks.

Ribble finally replaced the wrongly threaded pedal two weeks after I sent it back to them. They didn't refund my postage which is a bit annoying considering it was not my fault, but at least I now have two working pedals.

Wiggle came out smelling of roses though. Although the pedal that I snapped was 12 months and 17 days old they have given me a complete refund on them after I sent them back AND they have refunded my postage. There is only one place I will be buying from next time and it ain't Ribble.
  • ronthechef
    ronthechef Posts: 943
    Has anybody got a spare time rxs carbon left pedal???? I have broke mine, it came on a bike i bought 2nd hand, so i cant send it back
  • aarw
    I do. PM me your email address.