Tube strike's on - this Wed and Thurs

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
This affects everyone, right? Not just those in London. :D:D

Anyhoo. Tube strike is currently on, commencing midnight Tues and finishing midnight Thurs.

So, cue ... Attack Of The Numpties!!!

Starting on a London commute near you, first thing Wednesday morning.

Eeekkkk!
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    From 7pm Tue to 7pm Thurs (although it normally affects services several hours each side).

Be a gent, join in one of the led rides so the "numpties" can find out how great it is to cycle to work.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Greg66 wrote:
    This affects everyone, right? Not just those in London. :D:D

Anyhoo. Tube strike is currently on, commencing midnight Tues and finishing midnight Thurs.

So, cue ... Attack Of The Numpties!!!

Starting on a London commute near you, first thing Wednesday morning.

Eeekkkk!

though i live in london (greater) i'm out of range of tube, the closest being richmound.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    prj45 wrote:
    Be a gent, join in one of the led rides so the "numpties" can find out how great it is to cycle to work.

[Strokes white cat, then steeples fingers]

Hmm, guiding large groups of cyclists.

Through traffic.

At speed.

Bawahahahaha!!!

Where do I sign up? :twisted: :twisted:

"C'mon, just grab my wheel and stay close" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I still have horrid memories of last time this happened, Kennington Road was a nightmare! Littered with people on BSO's that hadn't seen been ridden since Xmas or the test ride around the car park at their local Halfords.........that along with an increased number of cars on the road meant my journey was rather "delayed" that day. It was however rather satisfying overtaking 20 or 30 cyclist when I'd usually have 5 or 6 to pick off from the lights :evil:

I'm just glad I'm not working up in town those days!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Here's the details:
    http://www.biketube.org.uk/

You can win a Brompton too, write a story about your commute:
    http://www.biketube.org.uk/index.asp?Pageid=24
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I saw that Brompton page - there's no actual form to enter your story into though.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Last time I recall witnessing several brawls on Oxford street as people tried to board buses... it really was attack of the numpties... and unbearably smug Olivia.

I'll lead a ride! Who's playing?

My ride will totally kick your ride's @ss... :twisted:
  • Aidy
    I'm happy to lead a ride too!

I'm miles out mind, people should have fun with that ;)

Oh, and my ride would *completely* be the best.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    BBC website is showing light rain on Wednesday and heavy rain on Thursday - should add to the melée...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Bet the survivors from my group would be the most exhausted and dejected by the time we arrived! Bet ya! Bet ya!

Competitive? Me? :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    On a somewhat mundane rainy morning, I was surprised by the amount of cyclists this morning, I am dreading the cycle home, so I plan to leave early! I'm more upset that the rain has messed up my hair...

On another note, last night on my commute home, I saw a motorcyclist hit by a car doing a U turn, i.e. the driver didn't look before he done it.This was around 7:45pm at Victoria Gate near Hyde Park. Luckily the motorcyclist was alright.
  • lost_in_thought
    Greg66 wrote:
    Bet the survivors from my group would be the most exhausted and dejected by the time we arrived! Bet ya! Bet ya!

:lol:

The others would be strewn on the pavements of west london...

EDIT: B*GGER. I have to go to paris tomorrow. I'm going to miss a whole day of being unbearably smug.
  • Aidy
    EDIT: B*GGER. I have to go to paris tomorrow. I'm going to miss a whole day of being unbearably smug.

Damn, bet you're completely gutted. :p
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

Damn, bet you're completely gutted. :p

I am actually. I like a good tube strike.
  • Aidy
    conversation with a co-worker this morning went:

Me: Oh good, a tube strike - I get to be unbearably smug tomorrow and Thursday
    Co-worker: Business as usual then
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Baah, typical, Bike Tubes has completely ignored the entire south east corner of London. The nearest one to me is Brixton which is almost as far away as central London/work. Stuff 'em then. Although I guess the main reason is that we haven't got any tubes down our way, soooo....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Anyone cycling from Ealing area at around 6:30am?
  • lost_in_thought
    Anyone cycling from Ealing area at around 6:30am?

2 hours later I'll be going from south ealing on Thursday...

I think Christophe3967 leaves ealing at around that time
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    From LCC:
    "Bike the strike to avoid stress" says LCC

LCC will be organising 5 ‘Bike tubes' bicycle rides into central London, to support Londoners commuting into work on the first morning of the tube strike Wednesday 10th June.

We are calling for all LCC members and cyclists to join one of these led rides in central London or even lead their own! The more of a cycling presence we can create the more we can show how easy it is to get on your bike. Here's how you can help.

If you are available to join one of the following Bike tubes, or set up one of your own, please email matthew@lcc.org.uk to see how you can get involved

Meeting points

7:45 am @ Brixton - Oval - Elephant and Castle - Blackfriars - Holborn
    7:45am @ Finsbury Park main gate route - Arsenal - Highbury and Islington - Angel - Moorgate - Mansion House - London Bridge - City Hall
    7:45am @ Mile End Green Bridge route - Stepney Green - Cable Street - Tower Hill - Bank
    7:45am @ Ravens Court Park route - Hammersmith - High Street Kensington - Hyde Park Corner - Charing Cross - Trafalgar Square
    7:45am @ Swiss Cottage route - Hampstead - Belsize Park - Chalk Farm - Mornington Crescent - Euston - Gower Street - Tavistock Place - Grays Inn Road - Clerkenwell - Farringdon - Moorgate

You can also;

Let your colleagues and friends know by forwarding this email, so that we can create a movement throughout London to bike the strike.

Download the poster at www.biketube.org.uk and put it up on the notice board at work or on your intranet sites

We are providing all the information Londoners need to bike the strike at www.biketube.org.uk. We've got information on bike buddies, routes and bike hire. We've even got maintenance tips for people whose bikes have been sitting in the shed for far too long.

We think that this is the ideal opportunity to prove to people that cycling to work is a great alternative to public transport or the car. It's healthy, cheap, quicker than you might think and above all FUN!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:

:lol:

The others would be strewn on the pavements of west london...

I wonder how many laps of RP my group would manage before one of them queried the validity of my chosen route?

I'm thinking of extending my commute tomorrow - purely to increase "SMUG" time.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm actually worried. Around Clapham it gets busy on a sunny day, with a train strike its just going to be carnage.

With the increase of cyclists and possible delays I'm gonna be on red alert constantly for peeved motorists and gun-ho cyclists.

Kharma is going in mothballs just in case.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    It's going to be fairweather cyclist hell, isn't it?

Ah well. I suppose we ought to encourage them. God I'm selfish.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I was looking forward to smugly arriving on time to work in a near empty office.

then the front cones went and I'm buggered till Thursday. :cry:

Therefore I will be busing to Woolwich, DLRing to Bank, and walking the last bit to the office.

At least I'll be able to watch the numpties on their BSO's with detached amusement. :D
  • Aidy
    I sorta like it when there are more bikes on the road, a more visibile cycling presene should hopefully raise drivers' awareness.

Having them wobble all over the road unpredictably can get a bit frustrating, but I try to bear in mind that I'd rather be hit by another cyclist than a car...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm gonna really tempted to leave the house at 8.30 for once to witness the carnage. Can't pass up such a good opportunity to feel so completely superior to everyone else.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Do I ride the carbon steed to show my real superiority?? :twisted:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Well, the numpties were out in force tonight ... in their cars.

I lost count of the number of people I saw driving along whilst looking at a map.

I think these are the numpties we need to worry about.

Be careful out there (not that it'll matter if you're rear ended by somebody trying to find Bank station whilst looking down at their map).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i will be riding my nice bike instead of my fixie tomorrow as i feel like ive got greater control over it... will probably change my mind by 7am when i leave
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Please try and play nicely tomorrow :) I know it goes against the grain...

Loads of people could have their lives changed you know :)