Campag chorus 11 speed question

Yorkman
Yorkman Posts: 290
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I've just taken delivery of my shiny new frame 8)

I doubt I can, but is it possible to use the 2009 chorus 10 speed Ultra Toque chainset with the new 11 speed chain, cassette & shifters?

I'd rather not shell out a small fortune on another chainset but use the ones I have for my other bike, whilst building my new one.

I assume the 'old' 10 speed chainset has too wide teeth to bite properly on the chain?

Many thanks.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yorkman
    phips wrote:
    Campag' won't honour the warranty even if it does work (which I'd guess it won't, or at least not very well, as the chain size is .4mm narrower for 11 speed).

Thought as much.

Damn those Italians....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It'll work.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yorkman
    It'll work.

Will the teeth size not be a problemw ith the narrow chain though?

I'd like it to be true, but I'm wary of shelling out on it all, only to have to shell out another 300 notes for new chainsets.
  • redddraggon
    Yorkman wrote:
    It'll work.

I'd like it to be true, but I'm wary of shelling out on it all, only to have to shell out another 300 notes for new chainsets.

It's fine, plenty of people on weightweenies have run 11speed on 10speed chainsets.

DaveS, if you look at his posts on weightweenies you should find everything you need/want to know on 11speed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Yorkman wrote:
    It'll work.

It's fine, plenty of people on weightweenies have run 11speed on 10speed chainsets.

DaveS, if you look at his posts on weightweenies you should find everything you need/want to know on 11speed.

Wait a minute. Somethings wrong here. Why would weightweenies want an extra cog
    and all that extra weight that goes along with it? :wink::wink:
  • redddraggon
    phips wrote:

Ahh, but, again I say - Campag' won't honour the warranty if you mix and match components. So imagine your chain snaps, throwing you over the bars and trashing a few other components. You ain't getting Campag' to shell out and replace them for you.

But, meh, what's the chance of that happening? :)

A lot of things invalidate Campag's warranties though. Like, You are only supposed to ride on track or smooth road surfaces.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    It will work fine... Stop worrying! :-)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Have a look at the tech section on www.velonews.com

The only 11 speed components you need are cassette/shifters and chain. All the other bits work fine if they are 10 speed. You could even get 11 speed rings from TA to fit a 10speed c/set if you are worried about width
    M.Rushton