Anyone wear a medic alert bracelet?

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Where is the cheapest place to get a strong one?

I keep having near misses on my commute (not always my fault) i feel that i should wear some kind of Medic Alert bracelet because im almost deathly allergic to Penicillin...

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Road ID

Had mine (the velcro wrist version) for a while now. Forgot it was there after a day or two. Hard wearing too.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • GrumpyBear
    GrumpyBear Posts: 45
    When I looked into buying one they seemed quite expensive £25-30, I compromised and got a dog tag made up costing about £5, With bright yellow rubber edging I hope it would be found if the **** hit the fan.

Just 'google' dog tag for the current deals.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You guys not carry wallets or phones around with you?
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    biondino wrote:

That would be extra weight!
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    no but now you've said it I want ONE.....!

no reason :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    +1 for Road ID

I'm allergic to Penicillin too so have my name, dob, NO PENICILLIN, blood type and two contact numbers on mine.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    biondino wrote:

When I'm travelling to/from work, obviously yes. But my wallet doesn't have ICE numbers in it, and you'd need to know to look in favourites in the iphone, then take an educated guess as to which number to ring.

At the w/end, if I'm out, I'll take £20 & a cc & a phone.

The Road ID (a) provides quicker access to ICE info; and (b) has my approx RHR and BP in it, as I don't want someone thinking I'm in shock when I'm not. Longshot maybe, but seemed a better use of the space than a motto.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Greg66 wrote:
    you'd need to know to look in favourites in the iphone, then take an educated guess as to which number to ring.

Greg

I think the standard advice is to have an entry in phone contacts which either just reads 'ICE' or 'ICE - Contact Name' . Paramedics & A&E staff are mostly aware of this usage.

In your case, it seems you've already covered the requirement but it costs nothing to create an extra entry in your phone.

Mike
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    +1 for the dog tag method, used to have a medic alert thing but I lost it. It was pretty ugly, cost a lot and you had to pay an annual subscription. The information I need people to have access to is pretty simple - name, ICE number, diabetic. I reckon it looks quite cool in a medallion man sort of way as well!

http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/vie ... id=9553384
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Greg66 wrote:
    has my approx RHR and BP in it, as I want people to be impressed how fit I am .
    <a>road</a>
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    having an ICE number in your mobile is all very well, but lets face it when a paramedic is trying to do their job and your unconscious the last thing they are going to be doing is going through your mobile or wallet for any information on allergies, so dog tags or medic alert braclets are spot on for them because it will have everything they need in one swoop.

Both my father and my grandfather who are both diabetics use Medic Alert (http://www.medicalert.org.uk/index.php) they do a range of sport band braclets as well as the more traditional ranges
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg66 wrote:
    has my approx RHR and BP in it, as I want people to be impressed how fit I am .

Don't be silly.

I'm relying on them ripping off my clothing (the women paramedics will be unable to control themselves at this point) and going "Phwoar!" at my sculpted tones in order to assess my fitness. :wink::D

And that's before they realise that my skin is so dense that they can't get a needle into it.

Then when they see Jor-El and Lois's phone numbers on my ID, they won't be at all surprised. :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Also, surely phones get smashed when the rider does?

I might get one, I have one pupil larger than the other, I've seen people switched off on Casualty for less. :shock:
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    Greg66 wrote:
    has my approx RHR, BP and penile length in it.

That's better.
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    AllTheGear wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    has my approx RHR, BP and penile length in it.

That's better.

Now that would really drive the female paramedics deranged with lust...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    think im going to go for a road ID, not too expensive and can get a decent amount of info i have:
    Line 1: Name, DOB
    Line 2: House number and postcode
    Line 3: ALLERGIC TO PENICILLIN
    Line 4: Home No
    Line 5: Mothers no
    Line 6: fathers no
  • get it tatooed on hows that for light weight
  • Life is not a spectator sport
  • The RoadID isn't as expensive as some folks think - it is $19.95 plus a couple of bucks shipping which these days comes in at about £15 or so. Barely more than a good bottle of wine.

Yes there are cheaper alternatives, but the RoadID is good, looks good and is practically indestructible. Mobile phones can get broken and like wallets, can be stolen from the accident scene.

On my RoadID, I managed to fit my name, date of birth, city of residence (which is all the Police need to get your real address), home phone, the fact that I have no known allergies or drug allergies, no medical history, my blood group, my organ donor status and the fact that I have a disabled wife dependant.

Not bad for the cost of a bottle of wine!

RoadID are also introducing a new model of strap for those who want a more "office-suitable" ID band.
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    get it tatooed on hows that for light weight

I guess you were joking but I have seriously considered getting my passport number tatooed on. Just do not know where. Also I would actually prefer a barcode as least that does not look as daft as my passport number etc.

I currently carry my mobile, cash, a credit + ATM card if going very long distance and a hospital card. Problem is that there is a good chance the phone, cash and cards might get nicked if I get run over. In fact they might nick the bike as well and just throw me in the ditch!!

I kid (sort of) but it would still be good to get some id like dog tags that I could get written in different languages etc. Road ID could be another good alternative.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I wear a medicalert medallion(8" dia.) along with the chest wig and special jersey with the zip that doesn't do up all the way :lol:

Seriously though I do wear the above for the reason of being a diabetic. The last time I had cause for attention from a paramedic I had the pleasure of a young St. Johns cadet running her hands all over my chest which got the blood pumping but did nothing for the glucose levels. :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    Boots sell them,you send it away and they stamp the info on them for you then send it back, also get the same service on ebay.