new fork for carrera vulcan v'spec

thomasrook
thomasrook Posts: 21
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
i bought this bike from my local halfords store a year ago now and the suspension seemed to cope with most of the off roading i used to do. however i have started to do a lot more jumps and i dont think the suspension is handling this very well as i am pretty sure i have broken it or at least weakened it. i was wandering if anyone could give me some advice about what fork would be best to upgrade to, and to make sure that the fork will actually fit on my bike, or if it would be better to upgrade the whole bike?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    the Vulcan isn't really designed for jumping, ok a few small drops & jumps will be ok, but deffo not major airtime.

If you're getting into proper dirt jumping you would be best saving for a new bike that can handle dirt jumping.

If not, What is your budget for new forks?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • thomasrook
    yeah i wasnt too sure about the whole jumping thing but being me :D i did them anyway. i wouldn't like to spend more than £200 as going past that price would mean that the forks would be more expensive than the whole bike. although i can stretch to more than that. it depends on whether there is more point in buying a new bike once i start spending more money than the bike is worth
  • Andy B
    Rockshox Tora's are very good value forks, the 318 was the top of the pile now it's the Race version, but any of them are decent upgrades. make sure that the forks you buy have V brake mounts as well as disc mounts, as some are disc only.

you can swap the forks onto another bike, provided the steerer tube is long enough for the new frame.
  • thomasrook
    ok. thanks for the help :D
  • thomasrook
    marzocchi seem to appear a lot at the same price range. any opinion on marzocchi?
  • Andy B
    not as good as RS, reliability is not as good.
  • thomasrook
    ah ok thanks :)
  • thomasrook
    ok i now have a new problem. the rest of the bike seems to be falling apart. the back rim is buckled slightly, so the brake only just doesnt hit the tyre :S and gear changes seem to be becoming sloppier and more general creaking here and there but i think that could be the front fork :S. is the frame good enough to just upgrade the rest or should i just get a new bike?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Needs a good service - but if you are riding harder and bigger jumps, go for a new bike.
  • thomasrook
    well, i am guessing that a service will cost quite a lot considering the faults do to things that the manual said not to do :s and i am pretty certain i am not experienced enough to carry out the repairs my self so i am guessing i should put the money the service would cost towards a new bike?
  • thomasrook
    right ok. i have been looking at some bikes and the specialized hardrock pro disc seems to get good reviews and is the sort of price i would like to spend. any other bikes at this sort of price range/ a little more expensive if need be that would be worth a look?
  • supersonic
    Same sort of bike as you have. If you want to jump, ride harder and don't mind a bit more weight, have a look at the Saracen Mantra.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    How about to upgrade part by part. Frame, fork, wheels and sell the old ones.
    If you're after a sort of DJ bike, then for £500 you can get a decent frame, Argyle for
    example and a 20mm axle front wheel. With a bit more cash later you'll end up with a
    cracking bike. The hardrock won't be a big upgrade over the existing one. It's better but still...
  • thomasrook
    hmmmm..... i might just do that. although i will most probably upgrade the forks first then the frame as that is whats broken. what frames are good then?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
  • thomasrook
    ah ok thanks. i am not entirely sure about changing to purely dirt jumps though. is it a lot more difficult to ride with a dj on trails/roads? if so are there frames that can handle the jumps but are more trial frames things? (terrible with the xc etc definitions by the way...sorry)
  • supersonic
    Yep, the Saracen Mantra.
  • thomasrook
    haha ok thanks
  • thomasrook
    not trying to be annoying or seem really stupid or anything but does anywhere sell just the saracen mantra frame? :?