53-17

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm currently commuting on a standard road bike but stay in 53-17 at all times. Does this make me hardcore or run of the mill?

It's a London commute through Richmond Park, so has a couple of hills - although Galibier they aren't...

Comments

• dialforclown
    dialforclown Posts: 470
    You live somewhere flat.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    That's about what Jash rides, slightly lower than what I ride... do-able in London!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    London-Red wrote:
    I'm currently commuting on a standard road bike but stay in 53-17 at all times. Does this make me hardcore or run of the mill?

It's a London commute through Richmond Park, so has a couple of hills - although Galibier they aren't...

Ahm..aren't you just combining the disadvantages of both (geared and single speed) without the benefit of either?
    You still have the weight and lots of bits to mind and maintain from the gears, yet you're not using them to make your cycling more efficient.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I roll in London on 53x16 at all times.

So that makes you just the slightest bit like a little girl :wink:

With braids. :wink:

And a basket. :P :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    ...took me a second to realise you were talking about teeth. :oops:
  • london-red
    Nice. What's Jash?

As for efficiencies, pah. The more weight the better. It makes the weekend riding seem like you're floating. And I use my commuter as my winter weekend bike as well...

So, if 53-17 is a tad run of the mill - what's hardcore? And should I wear a hat rather than a helmet?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    London-Red wrote:
    Nice. What's Jash?

As for efficiencies, pah. The more weight the better. It makes the weekend riding seem like you're floating. And I use my commuter as my winter weekend bike as well...

So, if 53-17 is a tad run of the mill - what's hardcore? And should I wear a hat rather than a helmet?

Jash is one of our regulars, here on the forum. :)

I thought 55-12 might be pretty mad, LOL! Never been on an adult SS or fixie myslef
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    So are you seriously saying you cycle around on a 20 speed road bike without changing gear?

Choice of gear ratio aside, that's just a little strange.
  • london-red
    18-speed, actually. And yes, but only when I commute. At weekends I go wild for gear changing.

Why is that strange? Seems to make complete sense to me - I get the benefits of a SS (which I see as impriving fitness and strength, by the way) without having to buy a new bike.
  • always_tyred
    edited June 2009
    London-Red wrote:
    18-speed, actually. And yes, but only when I commute. At weekends I go wild for gear changing.

Why is that strange? Seems to make complete sense to me - I get the benefits of a SS (which I see as impriving fitness and strength, by the way) without having to buy a new bike.

Why can't you tread hard on the pedals in, say, a 39x15? And then carry on treading really hard in a 53x19, and so on? Does your chain skip on those rings now?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    London-Red wrote:

Why can't you tread hard on the pedals in, say, a 39x15? And then carry on treading really hard in a 52x19, and so on? Does your chain skip on those rings now?
    Well, he has a 53 outside ring, so that one might be a bit difficult unless he's running a really strange triple.
  • london-red
    Okay, well here goes.

The idea is to benefit from the high cadence when on the flat/going downhill and build up strength when climbing.

Beat that.
  • always_tyred
    whyamihere wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Why can't you tread hard on the pedals in, say, a 39x15? And then carry on treading really hard in a 52x19, and so on? Does your chain skip on those rings now?
    Well, he has a 53 outside ring, so that one might be a bit difficult unless he's running a really strange triple.
    Got to love the edit function.
  • always_tyred
    London-Red wrote:
    Okay, well here goes.

The idea is to benefit from the high cadence when on the flat/going downhill and build up strength when climbing.

Beat that.
    I am familiar with the concept. Much over stated (if not entirely) but if it works for you, go nuts.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    So are you seriously saying you cycle around on a 20 speed road bike without changing gear?

But central London is pretty much pancake flat. Yes, you could use your gears for pulling away from lights, but frankly, why bother? The lights are often sufficiently frequent that you'd be all over the cassette like, um, an inappropriate analogy.

What fcuks me off about this is having to get a new cassette when 9/10s of the old one is just fine.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Perhaps the 16 speed singlespeed is what you seek

this cyclocross rig has 2*39 up front and 8*16 at the rear

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natearm/3023113649/

geared%2Bsinglespeed.jpg
    <a>road</a>
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    You can also get a single sprocket and a bunch of spacers to fill up the freewheel hub. You can get the chainline straight regardless of which sprocket you want so chain etc. will last a bit longer too.

DSCN3989.JPG

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Greg66 wrote:

But central London is pretty much pancake flat. Yes, you could use your gears for pulling away from lights, but frankly, why bother? The lights are often sufficiently frequent that you'd be all over the cassette like, um, an inappropriate analogy.

What fcuks me off about this is having to get a new cassette when 9/10s of the old one is just fine.

indeed i find i end up changing very rarely gears once into central or even north london. I can see the attraction for single speed for commute.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:

Why did you need a new cassette?

Yeah, I ride 46/14 (usually) and I'm a girl. And I have panniers.

So that makes you even more of a girl.
  • london-red
    Hmmm.

In my defence, I carry a full change of clothes, a laptop, homemade butties and a can of diet coke (most days).

I figure that adds an extra few lbs, meaning my effective ratio is more likely 53/16.

The defence stands.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg66 wrote:

Why did you need a new cassette?

Yeah, I ride 46/14 (usually) and I'm a girl. And I have panniers.

So that makes you even more of a girl.

46x14 is easier than 53x16. :P

Panniers = choice of dumbass. :P :P

You're no girl. I've seen you. More than once. :P :P :P

[I only need a new cassette when the 16 wears out and starts skipping. It's then that 9/10s of the cassette is pretty much pristine].

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A