Base layer

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Wiggle have got a sale on the Helly Hansen long sleeve base layer

I'd been thinking about getting a base layer for the winter and am pretty sure that HH is well-reviewed. Is this one any good?

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    edited May 2009
    Its good, very good but not as good as this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Craft ... 360042768/

If you can stretch the budget slightly I would go for craft. Having had many HH base layers I can honestly say that Craft are far superior.
    Brian B.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If you're anything like me, you'll need merino wool - anything else and I stink after an hour or so. Lots of brands do them these days.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I bought a HH baselayer a while ago, really like it. Seen this offer and bought one again. For this price it's a pretty good bargain. They're warmer than my other baselayers when it's cold but no hotter when the weather's good.
    I bought a medium recently but other was small i think. My size is apparently medium and it fits ok but is kind of like a tight long sleeved t-shirt. The small is an all round tighter fit and think i prefer this.
    I'm 5'11"-6', waist 32-33"
  • Another vote for merino - wore one on a trips for 5 days in a row and still OK to wear to the pub! Look for SportWool - good combo of manmade and wool and very comfy.
    Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Im a big Under armour fan too. Wear them for football, golf, mtbing. The cold gear stuff is amazing, the hot gear works well too. Not overly priced neither
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • SparkyP
    SparkyP Posts: 259
    I agree with BrianB that the Craft base layer is far superior.

Got a HH LS Base Layer at Christmas and I feel it does not wick very well.

Cheers Mark.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Been using HH long sleeved vests for years and years (though with some washing :) ) and found them very effective. We never went on any long tours, especially camping ones, without a HH even in Summer because they're light and good if it turns cold and wet.

There may well be better these days but the HH works for me.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Merino > smelly helly's
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Thanks for all these replies - following this I'm thinking of taking the advice and going for a merino base layer such as this Endura one reviewed in Bikeradar. I can see that it is warm in the winter, but anyone confirm for me whether this will be also use-able in the summer to help keep me cool?
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I recently got an Icebreaker one. I also tried on the Endura one but I found the Icebreaker one had a much better feel to it. I went for the Atlas 150 short sleeve one for the summer. I am also tempted to get a long sleeve one for the winter either the Atlas 150 or the slightly thicker Oasis Crew.

Highly recommended.

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/ ... gender=Man
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    A slight highjack here........A quick question about washing - ive noticed as with alot of cycle clothing (the above icebreaker too) that you shouldnt use fabric conditioner, why is this ?
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    topcattim wrote:
    Thanks for all these replies - following this I'm thinking of taking the advice and going for a merino base layer such as this Endura one reviewed in Bikeradar. I can see that it is warm in the winter, but anyone confirm for me whether this will be also use-able in the summer to help keep me cool?

Got that Endura Baa Baa one myself and it lasted 3 months so wasn't overly impressed with it though I can vouch for the fact it didn't stink like my synthetic base layers. Have the Helly Hansen and would have to agree with whoever said to buy small. Mine is a bit looser than I would like. A base layer for me should be tight to the skin. This wasn't however I found it performed fine and has lasted 3 years now and still not showing any signs of wear so good from that point of view.

Will be interested to see what other say on here as I'm in the market for another base layer too.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    teulk wrote:
    A slight highjack here........A quick question about washing - ive noticed as with alot of cycle clothing (the above icebreaker too) that you shouldnt use fabric conditioner, why is this ?

I think you shouldn't use conditioner on anything with waterproofing (if you want it to remain waterproof), but I certainly use it on everything else.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    topcattim wrote:
    Wiggle have got a sale on the Helly Hansen long sleeve base layer

I'd been thinking about getting a base layer for the winter and am pretty sure that HH is well-reviewed. Is this one any good?

Yes, they are good. I have 3 of these and 2 of the short sleeve ones. Get the size that is a snug fit.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I am a big fan of my HH base layer (long sleeved).

It's also nice to wear just around when it's cold, given that it's so light.

Has kept me warm on many a winter night when the GF was elsewhere... :cry:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Another vote for Craft. Best money I have spent on cycling kit in ages.
  • Have used HH for years cant fault them, but have not used anything else so may be a bit biased. :)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Craft do make some great summer base layers
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    teulk wrote:

Fabric softeners use oil-like chemicals to 'lubricate' textiles to make them feel softer. These oils can clog up pores, reducing the breathability of the material. They are also hygrophobic, which reduces the water absorbency of textiles. So for various reasons they should not be used with most microfibres, breathable or waterproof fabrics. If you accidentally use it, its not a big problem, just put them through another wash.
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I have used quite a few base layers, and Helly maybe more smelly than Merino and not as warm in the winter, but I have found that when thin and close fitting they wick better than most, including wool with possible exception of some of the very lightweight 'string vest' type things.

I would not use fabric softener on any cycling clothes for reasons as stated by other above - or on anything else as I am allergic to it.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere