Does frame matter for beginner?

kvct
kvct Posts: 4
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Does frame matters for beginners?
does it really matter if it is aluminium frame with carbon fork or has to be fully carbon fork?

i mean, a road bike for a beginner to cycle and to sustain help. does beginner need to consider all these?

thanks for advice.

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    No, what matters is fit. A carbon fork is nice and a carbon frame even nicer but the most expensive bike will be horrible to ride if it doesn't fit you properly.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    How much of a beginner? I have ridden commuter bikes for years and was amazed by an alloy Specialized Allez (though I bought an alloy/carbon fork Trek1.7). I consider myself a beginner, but I have since bought and put together two 1980s/1990s very high end Italian steel bikes since. They are stunning, very fast.

I must try carbon, but I doubt I would buy. They just dont appeal that much, and I am not interested in anything competitive on a bike.

Of course, they ought to be far cheaper than a hand-made light weight steel Italian job, made by a skilled individual over many hours. But they're not, yet.

If you are a compete beginner I would go down the standard alloy frame carbon fork, big brand route for the guarantees and support.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    kvct wrote:
    does it really matter if it is aluminium frame with carbon fork or has to be fully carbon fork?

i mean, a road bike for a beginner to cycle and to sustain help. does beginner need to consider all these?

thanks for advice.

Yes the frame is the most important part for a beginner(or anyone else for that matter) but it doesn't matter what material its made out of. What you have to consider is what are you using it for(racing,TT's, touring, commuting etc) and talk to a good LBS about what you want. If they are any good they should point you in the right direction. The conbination of frame materials, angles and fit is mind boggling so you should get this sorted out first before worrying about gears, wheels etc.
  • kvct
    kvct Posts: 4
    Thanks all for sharing & advice..

Mister W:: Thanks for sharing. will find out if it is the right frame.

bice: i was cycling alot during younger years(like 15 years ago) on those made in china bicycle ( black in colour, heavy, without gear--nothing like shimano 105, no 10 speed thingy , with a big metal basket installed at the front). would like to pick up cycling once again, mainly as means of exercise. would prefer road biking over MTB bcause of its speed. However, locally, alot of the bikes offered at LBS are of high end level, mostly priced around 1 thousand euro or even 1 thousand GBP minimum. i get the impression that 1 of the LBS i visited,is promoting, the more expensive, the more extravagant it is = better bicycle (i.e. if it is carbon or fully titanium, that's the bike one should purchase coz everyone would go envy..) i was abit unsure, for a newbie to road biking , solely for exercise + retrieve the joy of cycling would need to engage that much of financial commitment into a bicycle. hence raising this entire thread :)

markos1963: thanks for sharing. mind elaborate abit more on the "angles" bit?

thanks all!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Welcome to the forum :D

There is a lot of good advice on the link below, might clear a few things up for you :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12577960
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Not a problem KVCT. Frame angles determine the responsivness and ride qualities of a bike. A frame with steep head and seat tube angles in GENERAL will handle much more quickly than the opposite, the trade off though in GENERAL is a harsher ride quality. This can be offset by frame material, carbon fibre can be tuned to give a smoother ride whilst still using steep angles(titanium and high quality steel are also good) The bike maker or builder will take this into account when designing a bike depending on its purpose. A tourer for instance will use slacker angles for comfort and to give more room for equipment. A racer or TT bike will use steeper angles for better handling and more response to pedal input, comfort isn't so much of a consideration.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    kvct wrote:
    does it really matter if it is aluminium frame with carbon fork or has to be fully carbon fork?.

Hi - and welcome to the forum.

You don't have to have fully-carbon forks - many new riders opt for an Aluminium frame with carbon bladed forks (but with an alloy steerer tube).
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    I have encountered too many riders who went for an expensive fully specced bike and then failed to do ANY maintenance on it at all. Cruddy chains, dirty cogs, squeaking every turn of the pedals ....... makes me whince

Get the best bike you can afford and look after it as well as you can