The Fat Club

XxxBFGxxX
XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
edited October 2019 in Health, fitness & training
Right guys a little bit of fun to help us big guys feed of each other when things get hard andwe need spurring on.

My name is john but every one calls me geordie. 32 years of age

I am 22 stone at present and i ride a marin quad link 120 susser. love it to bits and it works realy well with my weight.

I used to be about 25 stone nine month ago. Started riding on a british eagle lmfao moved onto a GT then bought my marin frame and built the bike from there. my weight being a problem every thing is over built. some ppl i.e. the small chaps would say it was over kill. but it works for me.

Idearly i wanna get down to 20 stone then i will be happy but in the longer run of things i wanna get down to 18 stone ish.

I eat almost what i want. just cut out sugar and alot of fatty stuff. I ride 20 ish mile aday to and from work 10 mile each way takes me about 35 min intotal. tHAT IS on my road bike.

My job is very demanding as well in a wharhouse thats helps with my weight loss aswell.

Right come on big guys post a bit about ya self. then we can hopfully share our own tips that helped us to lose weight.

PLEAASE GUYS DONT POST ALL YOUR MEDICAL PROFESIONAL STUFF coz to be honest being a big guy we dont always liek to here it.

the idea behind this is so we can share our own personal tips that worked for us.

The Fat club FAQ.

Comments

• matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    Right guys a little bit of fun to help us big guys feed of each other

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Seriously though, good effort. Sounds like your doing plenty of work to help you reach your target weight. Good luck
  • XxxBFGxxX
    ok mattt ya got me there didnt even realise what ya ment till i read it a few times lmfao.

yer mate it was ahrd at first but t got easy as i went on. i aint a medical person or sporty person but if i can pass tips to other ppl trying to lose alot of weight then this thread is worth it.

i am doing the london to brighton in a few weeks would never of thought a year ago i would be doing it. cant wate it will be one of my biggest achefments to date if i finish it. wich i will i wont let nothing stop me completting it.
  • TimesLikeThese
    TimesLikeThese Posts: 304
    edited June 2009
    lol - missed the pun for the typo. ;)

Good Luck on the London-Brighton BFG!

Right ... peaked @ 21.1st and lost 10lb in the last 4weeks and 5.5% bodyfat

After lots of things getting to me like not being able to walk for 5 min before needing a break I had a single thought that spurned me into action.
    Time is going to pass whatever you do.
    May as well make it a better you.

Diet totally transformed at that point. No more junk food with the exception of a chicken kebab @ 290cal twice in the last month.

I started walking for the first 2 weeks. Just walked through the blisters and swollen ankles and applied the icepacks overnight. Then started the bike.

I've found that a healthy diet is good for 1-2lb a week but after that its all down to working out. 2 weeks ago I cycled 60 miles and lost 3lb. Last week I cycled almost 80miles for 4lb loss.

One key thing I've learned is to log every days cals and every days weight - just dont get obsessed or stressed about numbers. If you see your weight going up then dont use the excuse 'but I've done so well over the last month so 1 week is ok' Instead realise you've fluffed it and do something about it. Otherwise you end up worse than before.
    Easier said than done - I know!!!

Other than that, have fun doing the stuff you enjoy ... like the better quality of sex!
  • XxxBFGxxX
    fair play chap. i relay need to start cuting out more crap so will see what this thread thros up and may even try some other big lads methods my self.

well done on the weight loss.

And welcome to FAT CLUB. lmfao

2 members on the first day lmfao
  • Dude - you should have called it the THIN club because in a year or twos time we'll be afraid of being expelled for being too thin and have to comfort eat donner kebabs, curries and chips to stay with our buddies! ;)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    yer but chap by then we may be thin but we will still be big guys at heart. lol and our ultermit wisdom of losing weight will never see us get expelled lol as we will have the knowlage to help others like us .

another thing to add aswell my weight always goes up and down. this is down to how much bloody water i drink took me a while to work it out tho lol
  • I was (untli about 6 weeks ago) just under 20st (I am now at 120 kilos or 18st 13 lbs). I am 54 years of age and have a sedentary job - train driving. I love a beer, curry and am a bit of a chocoholic. So I decided to do something about it:
    Stop eating junk food and sweets
    Get about on a bike more
    Get to the gym

So far so good, I have three bikes of which the folder gets the most use as it goes on the train to work and is useful for around town and the shops. My single-speed road bike is there just for fun/fitness rides to Worthing or Brighton along the seafront cycle route (great in this weather) and the mtb for rides over the Downs.
    I have a periodical medical in September and would like to be down to 17st by then, that's 108 kilos which means I now have 12 kilos to lose in just over three months, or just under 2 stones. From there I would like to lose 2-3 more stones but I haven't set a timetable for that.....if I can achieve it by next summer all well and good but I don't intend to become too much a slave to weight loss in that i will get disheartened and lose interest if I set too strict a goal. I just look forward to the day that I am doing all this just to maintain my weight and not lose it.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • 1 stone in 6 weeks is pretty good going RockyHopperShow. How many miles have you been putting in per week?

@bfg - 10 miles in 35min is pretty impressive.
    I've been riding an 18mile circuit the last 2 weeks and gone from 3 hours to 2hours 20.
    So I've still got a hell of a way to go to get up to that sort of speed!

Oh and I'm 34, just using any old mtb - I'll treat myself to a decent basic bike when I'm down to under 15 stone.
    I dont like chocolate, not fussed about currys, crisps or sweets, had about 1 pint of beer in total in the last 2 years. My downfall is specifically Pizza, Kebabs and KFC and being a couch pot.
    So just by stopping all that its got to be about a 2000-5000cal a day difference!!!

Ok touchy subject this but... what do you do for seats?
    I've had to take a rest day today - not because of my legs but because of my arse!!! :oops:
  • MAXlMUS
    MAXlMUS Posts: 39
    Since I feel Im partly to blame for the Fat Club I thought It would be fitting If I said few words.

"hello....My name Is Max....and I am fat"...

Im 42 and Weighing in at 19st 5.......lost a stone since cycling in a month with no change in diet yet.

Greetz Max

I Ride a Kona Hoss for fat bastards and am loving every minute!
  • rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    Hello geezers, couldn't not write in this thread because since october last year I have been changing my lifestyle quite dramatically, I was 21 stone and 29 years when I started and thought it was about time I did something because I struggled to do basic things like put my shoes, I had to hold my breath to do it. Damn stomach.

Anyhow, after a complete diet change and different a little excersize I started to lose a bit, and it felt awesome, 7 months down the line I am now 16 stone flat, my target is 14 stone, I have a big frame so anything less is out of the question, I would look dead. Anyone who succeeds in losing even a little bit of weight needs congratulating, it's hard work, but very worth it.

I am a custody officer so my job isn't always active and this was my biggest downfall, I used to do a bit of mountain biking in my late teens but passed my driving test so my interest shifted. I am returning to mountain biking now and the weight is still coming off, I love it and have a real buzz for it, even my mrs is getting into it.

I am riding a custom Kona blast with various bits and pieces but hoping to have myself a proper smart bike.

Cheers

Rob
  • XxxBFGxxX
    we need to set some rules of FAT CLUB

rule one everyone can jion fat club they just want to be a person tha needs to lose a few pounds but not want to listen to the mundane way the medical ppl tell us to lose it

rule 2 enjoy losing weight and rever to rule one

IF all fat club members agree to these rules then these are the rules.

LMFAO

keep it up new members we may end up with a sticky. it is worth it
  • XxxBFGxxX
    edited June 2009

:

personal best is 30 min flat but can do 35 all day long

mate its took time to get like that. And belive its very possible for big lads to do...... i put skinny ppl to shame with how fit i actualy am

Being fat dont mean unfit. to me it means a hell of alot of power when trained.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Rob Mafia wrote:
    Hello geezers, couldn't not write in this thread because since october last year I have been changing my lifestyle quite dramatically, I was 21 stone and 29 years when I started and thought it was about time I did something because I struggled to do basic things like put my shoes, I had to hold my breath to do it. Damn stomach.

Anyhow, after a complete diet change and different a little excersize I started to lose a bit, and it felt awesome, 7 months down the line I am now 16 stone flat, my target is 14 stone, I have a big frame so anything less is out of the question, I would look dead. Anyone who succeeds in losing even a little bit of weight needs congratulating, it's hard work, but very worth it.

I am a custody officer so my job isn't always active and this was my biggest downfall, I used to do a bit of mountain biking in my late teens but passed my driving test so my interest shifted. I am returning to mountain biking now and the weight is still coming off, I love it and have a real buzz for it, even my mrs is getting into it.

I am riding a custom Kona blast with various bits and pieces but hoping to have myself a proper smart bike.

Cheers

Rob

that is very good work chap.

and i know what ya mean about getting a buzz from it...... it get s adictive
  • XxxBFGxxX
    1 stone in 6 weeks is pretty good going RockyHopperShow. How many miles have you been putting in per week?

I've been riding an 18mile circuit the last 2 weeks and gone from 3 hours to 2hours 20.
    So I've still got a hell of a way to go to get up to that sort of speed!
    yes but hese speeds are on a road bike mate. marin piont reyes with slicks.

@ rocky - dont get caught up with the gym rat race mate take each day as it comes. i actualy left a gym coz of the riding and to be honest it was boring me..... riding aint just for fitness chap it becomes a way of live
  • MAXlMUS
    As long as you do at least 40 mins and get a good sweat on its doing you good guys......times and distances are not that important for losing weight.

Get out there and have fun!!

Max

On a side note...can anyone recommend a good pair of spd shoes.....TIA
  • rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    Just thought I'd post a pic of proof, i'm not blowing my own trumpet or gloating but I am some what proud of my achievement

100_1666-1.jpg

Sept '08 21 stone

100_0425.jpg

May '09 16 stone

Notice the copy of MBUK on the cooker, solidarity to the end lol
  • MAXlMUS
    Nice one m8!!....I hope I will be catching up with you soon.

btw...I have the same kettle as you....spooky.

Max
  • I was 20 stone at 1 point then i got down to 14.5 stone big achievement trained to become a personal trainer - did a mtb race then had an accident split my head and helmet open and dislocated both shoulders now im back up to 18 stone :( not happy but loosing it bit by bit

Keep up the good work to everyone

work hard - train hard - play harder!
    Ride it like you Stole it !

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1117150/
  • @rob - bleeding hell ... what a difference mate.

@reckless.... OUCH! Fair play to you for getting back on the bike after that. Good luck!

@BFG "Being fat dont mean unfit" I agree with you there dude. several months ago I was a fit 20stone and stronger than anyone I knew. Then I got ill and lost 3 stone in 3 months because I was living off about 400cals of bread or rice a day. By the end of it I was as weak as a kitten and for my curls had lost 3/4 of my strength. I rapidly put 4 stone on but it was fat rather than muscle so by the end of it all I'd gained 1 stone, was (and am) weak as a kitten and have put on 20% bodyfat according to those tanita scales.

So yeah -if anyone is thinking about dropping their cals too low - dont! Burning them off on the bike is so much better!
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Rob Mafia wrote:
    Just thought I'd post a pic of proof, i'm not blowing my own trumpet or gloating but I am some what proud of my achievement

100_1666-1.jpg

Sept '08 21 stone

100_0425.jpg

May '09 16 stone

Notice the copy of MBUK on the cooker, solidarity to the end lol

A BIG WELDONE i think is due here chap. Bet you feel so much better for it aswell. And loving the Tshirt in the second pic mate. FFS.

@MAXlMUS - spd,s cant help on that one i am afraid am looking for some my self. need a wide fittng 13.
  • 1 stone in 6 weeks is pretty good going RockyHopperShow. How many miles have you been putting in per week?

Funnily enough not all that many miles on the bike really. I know some folk get loads of miles under their belt every week but I have been doing a bit of excercise every day, say bike twice a week = 30-40 miles, and the gym three times a week with a day set aside for rest. Add this to a much better diet and it seems to be doing the trick.
    If you are interested my daily food intake would go something like this:
    Breakfast -Cereal (eg 2xShredded Wheat or, if i'm in a rush out of the door, an oaty breakfast bar
    Midday meal - M&S Melon Medley or fruit platter and a low-fat yoghurt with sparkiling spring water
    Dinner - Chicken (not too strict on this, maybe a red meat sometimes- maybe not) with rice & veg and then a healthy-ish sweet like MullerLight or similar .

According to how I feel during the day I may or may not have a banana or a low-fat snack at some point during the day too, but always plenty of water.

When excercising I usually have an SIS energy drink and at the end of my workout I have one of those excellent ForGooodnessShakes recovery drinks. On a reasonably long ride I will take a Go bar too.

All told, I don't think I am leaving myself short on nutrition and am still well short of my Kcal recommended daily allowance.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    1 stone in 6 weeks is pretty good going RockyHopperShow. How many miles have you been putting in per week?

Funnily enough not all that many miles on the bike really. I know some folk get loads of miles under their belt every week but I have been doing a bit of excercise every day, say bike twice a week = 30-40 miles, and the gym three times a week with a day set aside for rest. Add this to a much better diet and it seems to be doing the trick.
    If you are interested my daily food intake would go something like this:
    Breakfast -Cereal (eg 2xShredded Wheat or, if i'm in a rush out of the door, an oaty breakfast bar
    Midday meal - M&S Melon Medley or fruit platter and a low-fat yoghurt with sparkiling spring water
    Dinner - Chicken (not too strict on this, maybe a red meat sometimes- maybe not) with rice & veg and then a healthy-ish sweet like MullerLight or similar .

According to how I feel during the day I may or may not have a banana or a low-fat snack at some point during the day too, but always plenty of water.

When excercising I usually have an SIS energy drink and at the end of my workout I have one of those excellent ForGooodnessShakes recovery drinks. On a reasonably long ride I will take a Go bar too.

All told, I don't think I am leaving myself short on nutrition and am still well short of my Kcal recommended daily allowance.
    not bad diet chap but i dont think i could survive on that wityh the 20 mile riding a day and the job i do. some days i realy can feel it if i dont eat enough. i get tieard realy bad
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I'll join, if I may :)

I'm 5'11" and currently weight 14st12.

I've always been thin but over the years the weight just crept on. I was in a very unhealthy relationship for many years and found that I went to the gym 6 or more times a week just to get out of the house, but after a while I think I was drinking too much and turning to food for comfort. Then he and I split and the weight start coming off again. I got down to 12st2.Then I met my future husband got all loved up and the weight started going on again up to my highest of 16st 5. I managed to kid myself that my clothes were shrinking until I saw myself in some photos and realized that enough was enough.

It's been slow to come off, even though I know what I should do as being overweight is really a new thing for me, I sort of struggled to get motivated.

But now my much injured husband to be is fighting fit again, we're out on the bikes a lot and the weight is really coming off.

Food diaries really work for me as it keeps me honest!

Edit: oh, I want to get down to 11st 7 :)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • XxxBFGxxX
    DW welcome to our club. Any one is welcome to jion DW they just want to lost weigth and share there exeriance with others.

Do these food diarys realy work? and do yalitrely right everything in the,. Do they sort of shame ya self into not eating the chocolate and stuff like that. Very interesting piont as a few ppl have mentioned them
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I'll join as well...
    Few weeks ago I was 18 1/2St now down to 18 (just weighed myself after 30 mile ride) so am quite chuffed with that TBH!
    Targets weight is 15St fo my 40th birthday in late March next year, should be achievable if I stick to a training routine and healthy(er)eating habits.
    Lots of fruit, beans on toast for breakky (or scrambled egg and mushrooms) Soup for lunch with some fruit, and then a sensible tea...
    Might post future weigh ins as a record of what I am achieving... And might shame myself if I have a bad week! :)
    Got a trip booked to the Lakes in September for 3 days of riding and getting pissed if I'm honest... So need to be much fitter for then! :)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • XxxBFGxxX
    ratty2k wrote:
    I.
    Might post future weigh ins as a record of what I am achieving... And might shame myself if I have a bad week! :)
    ! :)

feel free to post any updates mate thats what this threa is about. post ya weight if ya feeling down we wont scorn we will spur you on. I hope our toher members will do the same.
  • MAXlMUS
    We have quite a following.....maybe a good idea would be to put our before and after weights in signatures just to keep us motivated?

I ve just come off a 14 mile grueller....and feel great!!

Max
  • XxxBFGxxX
    not a bad idea max i need to see my medical records for exact weights and dates but will work out a rough one in a little bt and get it in my sig
  • XxxBFGxxX
    Lets up the anti abit. this is a pic of me when i was my biggest. prob the heveast i have ever been. this is one of the pics i hate the most and spurs me on to lose weight

DSCF1085.jpg
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Fosters! Bleugh! :) Bitter for me ta very much! And in the Peak district there's LOADS to choose from!
    Not got many pics of me- bit camera shy, but this is pretty recent 18 1/2St in this one...
    3169531901_7b3aebe066_b.jpg
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....