Michelin Pro Race 3's - any special fitting tips?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,610
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

just recently took delivery of a new pair of 3's to replace the 2's tha came on my bike, one of the sidewalls gave up the ghost, and I decided innertube bulging out wasn't a god look :shock:

Going to fit them tomorrow, and I assume it will be a bog standard "fit a new tyre" situation, but just wondered if there was any black magic or voodoo I might need to do to get them to fit.......?

What do other people make of them who have them fitted, happy with them?

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Easy fitted on my wheels. I found them harder to fit than the Pro2 race as I need levers for these tyres but if you've got the levers (and I'm sure you have them) it isn't a problem at all.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The ProRaces are all easy to fit onto most wheels imo. Great tyres.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Agreed, they go on easier than other tyres.
    Shazam !!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    only the very tightest of tyres should require levers to fit. If your technique is good you shouldn't need them. The PR3 should be fine although some rims are easier than others.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    A drop of washing up liquid if in trouble...
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Thankyou all, and for the reviews,

I can get the pro race 2's off and on with hands only, but yes I do have levers if need be, I expect perhaps they will be tight the first time to get on, and then will loosen up a bit over time.

Will get stuck in tonight,

Dumb ass question, but there isn't a bedding in period with bike tyres is there, like it won't have proper grip for a few hundred miles or something?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andydale
    andydale Posts: 12
    I had to use levers to get them on my Campag Neutron Ultras, but once on they roll really smoothly.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    DomPro wrote:
    Agreed, they go on easier than other tyres.

+1
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Not hand only with Kysriums but level only needed right at the end.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    On Fulcrum and Campag wheels I require levers.

On other rims I've tried they're easy.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    edited June 2009
    Put some talc in with the tube, the talc will spill out on the rim/tyre interface and act like a dry lube. I was able to get mine on without levers this way. When you've finished just wipe off the excess talc from the rim using baby wipes :P
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    another vote for the talc. Didn't have trouble with pro 3s (they seem fine) but with some Open Paves and pinch punctures between thet tyre and the rim, and a dollop of talc sorted things nicely. In fact it made things so easy getting the tyre on and off (as dodgy says, acting as dry lub) that I've put my spare tubes in teeny sandwich bags with a bit of talc in each. Anything to make life that bit easier when you get a puncture ...

but pro 3s, fine
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon