mudguards for boardman comp

andrewjoseph
andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello peeps,

I'm not sure what slimline mudguards to get for my boardman comp and for my wifes Spesh dolce.

I think the sks raceblades will fit, but can I use a 'proper' set on these bikes?

thanks
--
Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails

Comments

• DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    I didn't think the comp took mudguards.
    Shazam !!
  • andrewjoseph
    DomPro wrote:
    I didn't think the comp took mudguards.

this is why I'm asking. Not even the raceblades?
    --
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    IME mudguards on a slick-tyred race bike do very little.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I used SKS raceblades all Winter on my Scott CR1 and they worked a charm :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Raceblades or others of that ilk are better than no guards but IMHO they are significantly less effective than full-length ones.
    The relatively small portion of the wheel that the 'Blades don't cover seems to result in a fair amount of road muck getting thrown at the bike and rider : this past winter I used a bike without the ability to take proper guards and the brake calipers get far more crud in them and the front doesn't extend towards the rear as far so feet get more of a soaking. Also the forward section of the rear wheel is unshielded and muck from there ends up getting thrown too.
    Not sure about your specific bikes but without the 'eyes for them I reckon it will be struggle.
  • andrewjoseph
    I'm not too worried about eyelets, there are several 'clip on' type that would work, but only if there is clearance between tyre and brake arms.

So I think I'd be better off getting raceblades for those wet sportives, such as the 'fens' ride coming up.

thanks for the info, keep it coming.
    --