training advice please - trying to create a programme

arc123chief
arc123chief Posts: 28
Hi There

I have been cycling for for about 2 years now, but have always used cycling as a bit of extra training around the other sports I play. However, I have been suffering from a few injuries that are preventing me from doing my other sports at the moment, so was hoping to keep the weight off (well, reduce weight if I can) by doing a cycling (and swimming) programme.

My aims are as follows:

- Lose fat (I am currently around 16.5% bf) and weigh about 86kgs
- Get fitter - both in terms of sprint type fitness and endurance
- remain injury free
- Enjoy my sports :-)

Can anybody provide me with a sample programme?? How many days a week should I cycle? For how far/long? I am happy to get up in the morning and cycle, and would probably rotate this with swimming too. Any hints/tips/guidance or pointing in the right direction would be great......

Oh, also. I have seen may people mentioning computers (HRMs/cadence etc) - How do these help with training?? As you can tell, a bit of a novice when it comes to these things......

Many Thanks

Andy 8)

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    How long is your piece of string?

The best thing you can do right now is ride as often as you can, for as far as you can. Keep going further and further every week, then come back in a year and ask about intervals.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have a look at a book such as 'The Cyclist's Training Bible' by Joe Friel for some ideas on routines...

Yes it does go in depth with periodization (american sp) and building for particular goals but it is a good reference...
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Have a look at a book such as 'The Cyclist's Training Bible' by Joe Friel for some ideas on routines...

Yes it does go in depth with periodization (american sp) and building for particular goals but it is a good reference...

4th edition just out so get that rather than the older versions :wink:
  • I wouldn't recommend the Friel book for anyone starting out. It is more aimed at those that have a couple of years of solid riding under their belts.

Starting out the best thing to do is to ride a little more over time and make sure you are enjoying it. As time goes on, start trying to push a little harder on some days. Introduce hiller routes. Set yourself a riding goal. Ride regularly and consistently. At least 4 days/week.

If you are really interested, you can look at our training plans, just click the link below.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Have a look at a book such as 'The Cyclist's Training Bible' by Joe Friel for some ideas on routines.....
    It's a great guide for self-training if you are road racing, but probably a bit heavy otherwise.

I'd go with Infamous's suggestion - just get out and ride as much as you can and have some fun.
    - Fit a bike computer to monitor your average speeds over a regular training loop and see how much you can improve.
    - Avoid increasing your weekly mileage / riding time too much too quickly - the rule of thumb is by no more than 10% per week. (keep a log or diary if you are a stats lover)
    - When you feel ready, have a go at an evening time trial if you feel competitive
    - If competition isn't for you, try riding with a local club or CTC group for a bit of social company and exploring new horizons
    - don't worry about heart rate or cadence, at least to start with - you can explore these more when you get the bug (and I'm sure you will)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sorry, I thought he said he had been riding a couple of years...
  • Hi All and thanks for your input.

I have been cycling for a couple of years, but as I said, I have always used it as a bit of a side-training to my other sports (tennis & kickboxing). I have also done a number of novice-level triathlons in the last 12 months, which again, I have always used just as part of my training.

I am now 31, so accept that I will never be the greatest cyclist in the world, but I have played reasonably high-level competitive sports since I was young, so I am used to setting goals and training towards them. I tend to struggle for motivation if I just say I want to go and cycle as much as possible, without knowing what I am trying to achieve. So, in some form or other, I think a programme will suit me better. However, I do understand that I need to just go out and cycle and get some miles in.

I think what I'm going to do is start with 3, 1 hour long rides per week to get some basic conditioning, and do this for a few weeks. I presume I should be aiming to to improve av. speeds/distance covered? After this, I would probably want to throw in some different types of training - maybe add a long ride once a week, or throw in some high intensity sprint/interval/hill training??

Another reason why I like programmes is that I sometimes get into the habit of 'overtraining' if i'm not careful - so I want to build in good rest days/periods to avoid this. I always try to 'listen to my body' to determine if rest is required, but at the same time, don't like to wimp out just because I might be a bit stiff/tired.

Anyway - enough wittering from me! Thanks all very much for the advice, hints and tips. Any further feedback will be welcomed, and i'm sure i'll be back in the coming weeks with more novice questions!!

Many Thanks

Andy 8)
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    You'll need more than 3 hours a week to see much improvement.