DT Swiss Freehub Body

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Does my freehub need a professional overhaul?

I have removed the freehub body from my (specialized stumpjumper) DT Swiss rear hub, given it a clean and re-grease, but when I go to re-build it after I secure the cassette (XT) back onto the freehub body there is quite a bit of play in it. I've then taken the cassette back off and there is definite play in the freehub outer casing. I can move the outer casing along the line of the axle and there is also play perpendicular to the line of the axle.

Is this one for the local bike shop boys to build me a new rear wheel as the freehub has gone or is this expected and I just haven't noticed it before?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Its probably the same(crap,cheapo)DTSwiss onyx(370) that's on my Enduro.Mines packed up,but the freehub can at least be rebuilt.Spesh are great at putting "custom"(ie:cheap)alternatives on high end bikes.How old is it?Phone spesh uk and try to get free parts under warranty...its worked for me and mines 14 months old 8)
  • steelo
    It is almost 2 years old, but was supplied by Specialized as a warranty replacement for my original rear wheel. I'll take it into my LBS who are Specialized dealers and they can take a look at it.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • subjude101
    subjude101 Posts: 20
    What was the outcome of the freehub problem. I have an Enduro Expert 08 with same hub I believe & have been told I need a new one, bike is just over a year old. Was it covered by Dt swiss 2yr warranty? Bike shop was going to charge me for new one.
    What hub did you go with if you changed.
  • sniper68
    Bike shop are rebuilding it as we speak.Its an Onyx(370)and the inards are fully replacable.Its usually the ratchet(pawls)that break.My bike shop tried the "need to buy a new hub"angle until i mentioned that Specialized UK had informed me that its rebuildable and Madison stock all the parts 8)
  • subjude101
    subjude101 Posts: 20
    This is why we love forums. Thanks for the info buddy, starting to get the impression the bike shop thinks I've got bottomless pockets.
  • i am having all the same problems, what is the best solution for play on the cassette?
  • sniper68
    without actually seeing it i'd guess that its either worn cassette body or the free hub slines(where the cassette sits are worn.If you remove the cassette you'll see if the freehub splines are worn
  • steelo
    My LBS have said the bearings need replacing as the axle moves as well as the freehub body. They said it shouldn't be more than about £10 for the bearings so i'll be dropping my wheel in later this week after i've given it another ragging on tuesday night :twisted:

The only thing that concerned me was that the guy said he would need to strip the wheel down, so i'm hoping that doesn't mean unlacing and relacing the spokes - hopefully just stripping the freehub apart for obvious reasons!

And they never once mentioned me needing to buy a new hub.

I'll let you know how good it is and what the cost was when I get it back.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09