Routes in The Pyrennees

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm jetting off (with my CO2!) to Pau next Tuesday and am riding La Pyrenneenne on sat 13th and the Hautacam hill climb on the 14th... However, I 'm looking for some decent rides of about 60-100km and a couple of long rides of 140km+ to do on the other days I'm there... Staying in Lezingnan just outside Lourdes.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• From Lourdes there is a great cyclepath (the old railway line) which will take you to the foothills of the Pyrenees, from where you can choose a number a cols.
    I love the Col du Portalet, that's my favourite place to cross the Pyrenees, and you get to see the Spanish side as well, quite different from the French side as it tends to be a lot drier.
    I have 'one or two' pictures of my rides in that area if you want a sneak preview.
    Cycling South West France
    Cycling in the Western Pyrenees
    Cycling to the Col du Tourmalet
    Cycling over the Pyrenees
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I'm going out on Friday 12th - I think I may be staying at the same place as you, Chez Passet? :lol: I'm doing the medium route on the pyreneene as it'll be my first day of a weeks stay. (That's my excuse anyway)
    There is a good route that goes via back roads over a nice 300m climb to Bagnere de Bigorre and then up to Campan and over the Tourmalet. On the way back to Argeles Gazost you can nip up the Hautacam!
    The railway route mentioned is really nice and you can then take the climb up to Cautarets which is a nice smooth climb about 5% or so from memory. Plenty of cafes etc at Cautarets, so you can have a break before descending back home
  • disgruntledgoat
    APIII wrote:
    I'm going out on Friday 12th - I think I may be staying at the same place as you, Chez Passet? :lol: I'm doing the medium route on the pyreneene as it'll be my first day of a weeks stay. (That's my excuse anyway)
    There is a good route that goes via back roads over a nice 300m climb to Bagnere de Bigorre and then up to Campan and over the Tourmalet. On the way back to Argeles Gazost you can nip up the Hautacam!
    The railway route mentioned is really nice and you can then take the climb up to Cautarets which is a nice smooth climb about 5% or so from memory. Plenty of cafes etc at Cautarets, so you can have a break before descending back home

You are indeed staying at the same place as me! Look forward to seeing you there! Fancy a trip out one day?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Yes, but not the time trial up Hautacam thanks :D
  • disgruntledgoat
    APIII wrote:
    Yes, but not the time trial up Hautacam thanks :D

Not sure I'm looking forward to that one the day after the 175km version of La Pyreneenne.

@gietvangent
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Surely you have to do the aubisque and marvel at the cornice. Classic photo of peleton passing by it by Graham Watson.
    Peter