Pontcysyllte Aquaduct Challenge

pdstsp
pdstsp Posts: 1,264
What a great day this was - the weather was superb and the route was absolutely beautiful. Thanks to Stan and team for the organisation. This deserves to be better supported in future years as it really is a test but without the 20/25% ramps associated with many other events (apart for that Methodist Hill monster right after the start), the longer and steadier climbs were great for me.

Met up with pugwash of this parish at the second feed and rode the last 40 miles with him and another Paul which, as we were last on the road, certainly helped maintain the motivation. Thanks for the company.

Food was great and plentiful, lots of water, electronic timing all for a tenner - great day.

Have to do it again next year as I missed the Panorama climb as the spirit and body were both knackered - so its a dnf , still the 103 miles felt a very long ride indeed.

Comments

• dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Yeah, a great day out, those roads were real hidden gems, the scenery was absolutely breathtaking - probably the most scenic ride I've ever done.
    Started to get very tired over the last 30 or so miles but finished under 8 hrs so fairly happy. Absolutely brilliant vfm, everything you wanted for a tenner makes you wonder why other events charge £29 (Dragon rip off ahem)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fantastic event - and was even better because the roads werent heaving with cyclists - enough people to make it possible to catch other riders without it turning into a road race.

Some great lanes to explore - but I wouldnt have liked to get up that first 20% in the wet !

Great experience and I'll be looking out for it again next year.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Times and some pics are up now.
  • pdstsp
    Seen my pic - diet time!!!
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Have to agree. It was a good day in the saddle.

Didn't manage the whole route after turning up an hour late for the start but if what I rode was any indication then it's a belter. If anything the weather was just a little too hot for my liking and in hindsight I think my decision to take a short cut from Clocaenog to the second feed was the right one. Wouldn't have fancied being up on the moors under that sun on my own. Once I'd stuffed some goodies down my neck and topped up the bottle I was mightily relieved to hook up with Paul and Paul for the run in to the finish. Good company, good roads and good weather.....doesn't get much better on a sunday afternoon. Cheers boys.

I think I'll be back next year for a crack at the full route.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • pdstsp
    Hi pugwash - good to hook up on Sunday - us dnfs are in good company - certainly going back next year to nail the last climb. The other Paul has also signed up for the White Rose (medium) - fancy it?
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    aaaargh!

reading this thread and looking at the map again have just realised i took wrong route! (as well as cycling to wrong community centre at the end! and wasting 5 mins asking directions)

came down the main road from llangollen and probably missed out c. 3K

sorry all!