Cycling Venice to London Via Stelvio Pass by Cycletouringjoe

JoeLonghair
JoeLonghair Posts: 99
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hello all,
Cycled 1058 miles, approx 6900 meters climbs in total, Ride time 102.50 hrs, Avg 10.49.
This was from Venice to London which took 15 days.

Slidshow is on the link below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cycletouringjoe
this link is better as the pics are bigger
Choose Album
click on " slideshow"
Press F11.
When the show is over press F11 to resume toolbars.
also available on
http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l140/cycletouringjoe/

From Bassano del Grappa, Vicenza Province, Veneto near Venice to Stelivo pass there is a162 miles tarmac cycle route with no traffic on it going to Spondigna. Which is at the base of the big climb to Stelivo pass. Here there is a campsite so you can try and attempt Stelivo pass without the extra gear and return for the night. This route makes it ideal for family rides and then return back towards Venice.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Fabulous - I enjoyed the slideshow! Well done.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Fabulous - I enjoyed the slideshow! Well done.

Thanks alfablue, I enjoyed taking the pictures and appreciate your viewing and comments. :D
  • I've just found your post. I really enjoyed the slideshow. Venice has always been my favourite city and the idea that I could cycle there has given me something to dream about.

Once again, thanks.

I know I'm alright, the voices tell me so.

Am thinking of doing a London to Athens trip and have often wondered how long it would take me to get to Venice.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Stelvio was featured on TopGear this week as Europe’s ultimate driving road, so every bloody chav with a sports car will be heading there next summer. It was bad enough with all the flippin motorcyclists.
  • Yeah I saw that top gear thing, the way they showed it in the car, well I can tell you the corners they took they could not have done it more that 10mph on each bend and there are 48 of them, still the chavs will have to get there before they realise that one.. thanks Jerremy, glad I did it last year :x
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Well done. Think you are a little modest, guess you did one hell of a lot more than 6900m climbing.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • thanks for that, I was just counting the main climbs, well after Stelvio they all seemed small really, France was tough as it was all up and down all the way, infact that pattern continued all into London really.
  • Bryonie
    Bryonie Posts: 1
    Hi,

I see your post is a little old but I'm looking for some advice. A friend & I are going to cycle from London to Venice May 2010 to raise money for charity. Can you tell me a bit about your route, how you worked it out, any general advice?

We're both relatively fit but haven't attempted anything like this before!

Thank you! :D
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    This is incredible, i'm thinking of doing St Malo to Venice this summer myself!
    I've just lost my job and now seems as good a time as any, especially as my girlfriend will be in Venice in a couple of months.

What sort of prep time is required for a ride like this?
    Am i in a complete pot dream to think i can prep for this in around a month?

Very very interested in this!!
  • Hi, I'm leaving in July to do Bristol to Venice. Just quit my job and need an adventure. Basically, I'm going to cycle to Porstmouth, then get the ferry to Le Havre. You can then join eurovelo route 4, cut across France in a SE direction, then join the eurovelo route 6 that goes to Basel. Once you get to Basel, Switz, join eurovelo 5 which goes all the way to Milan!

Now, that sounds easy, I've found these eurovelo routes on wikipedia. There are some links at the bottom of the page. Good thing about these routes, apparently, is that they have to meet certain conditions:

a) a minimum amount of traffic
    b) good road surfaces
    c) and nothing steeper than 10 % (which is fine for a fatty like me)

Also, obviously, these routes listed are not one long continuous road. You might want to advise me on nutrition, good cheap panniers etc. I've never done a tour before, but I aim to do 100 miles a day, at a minimum.

be in touch!
    Ollie
  • Hi JoeLongHair,

I'm very interested in you Venice to London expedition. I have been plotting a Garmin route myself (Venice to Bristol) over the last few weeks and would love to see the route that you took. Garmin's popularity routing does not work for most of the route so I'm not confident that I'll be taking the best route. Would you be happy to share the route you took? None of the links you posted work for me. I'm happy to share with you what I have plotted.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Last active 14 years ago. Don't hold your breath waiting for a response.