Getting headaches

trip
trip Posts: 64
I've recently started getting bad headaches an hour or two after a ride. Theyre like a dull throbbing ache, a bit like a hangover headache. At first i thought it was dehydration but i'm not sure now. I'llI drink a pint of water before leaving and always take a 2L pack with a couple of elecrtolyte tablets in it and have few mouthfulls every 10 minutes, whatever i dont drink on the bike, i'll usually finish in the car on the way home.

Anyone else had similar problems or got any suggestions?

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Hmm could be sunstroke seeing it's been rather sunny of late, do you slap on sunblock at all?

Overdoing it can give me headaches as well, or your bars could be too low forcing you to pull your head up higher when looking up.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Marct40
    Marct40 Posts: 8
    i had the same problem when pushing it, however i found if you eat a light meal pasta and tuna for example and have a recovery drink(high 5) within 30- 40mins of finishing the ride that cured it for me
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    Sunblock will absolutely not stop heatstroke.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    what actually is heatstroke?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Overheating.

Helmet too tight?, new glasses pinching?, may not be that noticeable. Does sound like a food / drink deficit.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • trip
    Definitely not sunstroke, its been happening for a few months now on cooler cloudy days too.

I think i can rule out my riding position too, i get the same symptoms on two different bikes, one a low stretched out xc bike, the other one a more upright full suss bike.

I'll try eating something straight after a ride, thats the only thing i can think of. Having said that, i haven't changed my routine after a ride and these headaches are a fairly recent thing. Off to the doctors next week i think.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    KB8 wrote:

Fair enough, i was thinking it might calm it down, i get it when i forget to apply sunscreen yet im fine all day when i do.

Maybe you're just overdoing it trip.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    Hypoglaecemia (low blood sugar)? Many of the symptoms include a headache, which I think i've experienced once, when I hit the wall on a six hour ride. summer 06.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Dazzza wrote:
    KB8 wrote:

Fair enough, i was thinking it might calm it down, i get it when i forget to apply sunscreen yet im fine all day when i do.

Maybe you're just overdoing it trip.

I say its down to dehydration, its better to drink little often than gulp loads at long intervals. I get the same headaches after playing football, if i remember I take 2 paracetamol before playing
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headache ... s-exercise

I suspect it's entirely due to the heat.

Google "exertional headache".
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Are you wearing glasses (cycling ones not prescription)? If so they may be ill fitting and your straining your eyes.

If your helmet has a visor on it, again these sometimes strain your eyes trying to look past them. I’ve found I’ve got a head ache when I’m peering over the top of my glasses
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    dunker wrote:
    what actually is heatstroke?

Sunstroke (or heatstroke) is a failure of the body to regulate bodyheat. Basically, you get so hot that you're unable to cool down.

Nausea and, in extreme cases, you stop sweating, exacerbating the problem.

Keep cool and wear a hat.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Sounds like a brain tumour.

Now say with me, in your best Arnie voice, "It's nawt a toomah".

Drink twice as much as you are now (if you can) and eat a bit more. If that doesn't cure your symptoms, see a doctor. Sounds like mild dehydration (I get the same headaches when I haven't had enough to drink), but could easily be a dozen other things.
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Had a similar problem but headaches went away after my fitness improved, prob after 4rth longish run (20miles) of the year. I guess my head was just telling my body something!
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I've pushed myself to extremes many times in heat and never had a headache from it.

But I have had sun/heatstroke and it's pretty nasty - you feel extremely weak and shakey and unable to do anything, let alone cycle hard!

If your eyes hurt, get some good glasses (I've suffered from eyestrain headaches for years - sorted now).
    Sounds like you're drinking enough - are you drinking much booze and/or tea or coffee? They are diuretic so actually dehydrate you.

Pokerface's advice is good - heed it!
  • trip
    Thanks for the help,

I went to see my doctor last week and he seems to think its muscular, and has given me some anti-inflammatory tablets to take after a ride. I'm not convinced but ill give them a go for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    I sometimes get migraines after hard exercise. Always starts by feeling dizzing, vision starts to go then headaches. Been to the docs about it & other constant dull headaches so he referred me to the neurology clinic. While waiting for my appointment I figured the constant dull headaches was caused by drinking too much water sometimes 12 pints a day! Consultant couldn't find anything wrong so gave me better migraine tablets.

I haven't had them for quite a while now & find the following helps:

- Good nights sleep night before.
    - Ibuprofen before start.
    - Plenty to eat before & during a ride.
    - Drink plenty whilst riding.
    - Eat & drink straight after.

So for me I think the problem was low blood sugar levels during a ride.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth