Too Much or Not Enough Water

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2009 in Health, fitness & training
A friend of mine takes a 3litre camel pack when riding.

We ride a local loop that at max is 20mins from the car.

He doesn't take a water bottle (in cage approx 800ml)

We ride for periods of 15-20mins, then stops and takes a drink.

The total trail is on average 20miles.

Is taking a 3litre camel pack a good idea or not?

And should he just use a water bottle with 800ml of water in it then just grab a re-fill from the car when it's empty.

Cheers guys

Graeme

Comments

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    How long is a piece of string?

I take a 3 litre camelbak but rarely finish the whole thing.

It depends on his hydration levels, how much he sweats, and how much he drinks in one go, all sorts.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He's on line now, I bet he's watching...;)
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Lots of factors involved in that; weather, how hard you breathe through your mouth, how hydrated you were before you start. So depends how hydrated he is when he kicks off, I've done 20 miles taking no fluids with me at all and been ok at the end because I was well topped up when I set off. Most times I'd be reasonably well hydrated before I set off on a ride and for a 20 miler I'd take a 1 L bottle with me, and get through it. If the weather was warmer and the sweat levels were increased then I'd be taking my light 1.5 L hydration pack and the 1 L bottle.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited May 2009
    It's better to take a 3 litre camelback, and only drink as much as you want when you want it. You don't want to run out of water mid ride, and a single bottle isn't a huge amount if you're working hard. Most people won't overhydrate severely except under the influence of drugs, though it can happen.

I use a 2 litre camelbak, and I've never yet drained it, but I've occasionally gone out with it half full thinking "I'll not need that much", and come home thirsty.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I take a sip from my camelback every 15 minutes or so....but 1 litre is usually more than enough for a good 2-3 hour ride. thats only 8-12 sips.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • crrazzzyy
    crrazzzyy Posts: 38
    Always take my 1.5 litre camel pack no matter how short the ride is if going for a day will take another 2 litre in bottles ......
  • you cant really take too much fluid with you, i take a 2l bladder with me all the time, ive never finished it and i dont get dehydrated, better too much than not enough i think
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    For rides over a couple of hours in hot weather I'll usually fill my 3L camelbak up although rarely go through it all. Unless you're racing there's no real penalty to carrying a bit more weight to ensure you're hydrated.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I got de-hydrated once and it was very nasty leaving me feelig very poorly for a couple of days. Ever since I have always tried to make sure I carry at least 500 ml for each hour I expect to be out plus 500ml. I always reckon I have it about right if there is a bit of water left in the bladder.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    My daily ride (niw 12.5 miles) is with a Camelbak but with no bladder. I only use it for long rides and the pack is for emergency spares only. I take a water bottle as it's much easier to clean and keep fresh.
  • I always take my camel back with 1.5 to 2 litres in, I get through a lot of water typically 1.5 litres in 30 miles. Did 50 miles on the moors on Saturday and ran out of the 2l I took.

I've also got all my other gear in the bag, If I'm on a short run I take it anyway as extra weight to push my fitness a bit. Not got to the stage of putting bricks in it yet though!!
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Hmmm - forgot to fill up my water bottle just now. Many hills on the ride and the last few were a bit tougher than usual. Thank goodness for Tesco and Lucozade 2 miles from home!
  • gettricky
    gettricky Posts: 103
    I got caught out this weekend in Wales. Drank night before (water) as usual to hydrate and it was proper hot on SUnday, so I glugged down another 3/4 of a litre thinking I'd have processed it and be nice and hydrated by the time we started.

Hydration fail.

I was sick with cramp all the way around. Then ironically couldn't stomach much water and got dehydrated on the final leg of 7 hour ride. Felt terrible Monday morning, like a hang over.

You can over drink, i.e. load your system with too much water than it can cope with, the trick is to drink small amounts regularly.
    ---

Pitch Pro 2009
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    gettricky wrote:
    the trick is to drink small amounts regularly.