BackAche?

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
I've been suffering from backache on my last few rides and for a few days after.

I've got the leg/pedal measurement about right (108% rule), and have shortened the cockpit by bringing the saddle forward, but I'm still getting it.

I'm riding a hybrid BTW with flat bars, spds, and skinny tyres 26").

Not sure if any of that info helps, but can anyone suggest why (pretty much all of a sudden) this is happening?

Are there any other rules of thumb (like the 108% rule) i can apply to posture/cockpit etc?

Thanks
BJB

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It could be that you are not stretched enough - try moving the saddle back. I'm assuming your bike fits!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • BigJimmyB
    The aches are fairly recent. After they started I moved the saddle fwd as I felt I was having to lean too far to get to the bars.

Now I'm not so sure......
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Hmm I've been getting lower back ache today on my commuter, particularly on uphill bits, stretching seemed to ease it. Wonder if I need to look at my saddle position as well (put a Charge Spoon on recently, hadn't had back ache before, plenty of other aches though).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    if you have a riser stack over the headset you could try raising the bar/stem height so your more upright, a shorter stem may also help.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • BigJimmyB
    Strangely Jon, I've recently gone over to a spoon.....

Stem is as high as it can go really.

I'll just have to keep playing with the vriables til I get it right.

Thanks
    BJB