Best womens bike clothing?

quentin_miller
quentin_miller Posts: 98
edited June 2009 in Women
Hi,

I just got a Carrera Kraken 16" for my girlfriend, and we are going to go to the lakes together soon.

I just wanted get some advice over which bike shorts are worth looking at for her? what brands are good, comfy etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    A lot depends on personal preference. I find that Sombrio stuff is really nicely made - doesn't fall apart. Bit pricey, but you can sometimes get good deals on Wiggle (I got my shorts for £11.99).

Only downside is that they don't do any 3/4 length shorts, but that's just my personal preference.
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    I love the Polaris range.

They do a great pair of shorts called Kontour which are baggy and come with removable padded undershorts that you could wear under any shorts.

They also do 3/4 length ones called Zephyr which don't come with the padded undershorts - I'm sure they must be really good quality as the blood came out of them no problem after I'd had an SPD incident... :lol:

Their 2008 stock is being sold directly on ebay so many bargains to be had...
  • chi11i
    chi11i Posts: 11
    My girlfrind is just getting into MTBing. Typically the most imoptant thing on a ride is what she is wearing.

She despratly want jerseys with skulls plastered all over them, does any one know of stockests that do a good range of womens "skull" clothing?
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    chi11i wrote:
    My girlfrind is just getting into MTBing. Typically the most imoptant thing on a ride is what she is wearing.

She despratly want jerseys with skulls plastered all over them, does any one know of stockests that do a good range of womens "skull" clothing?

Something like Northwave's Voodoo jersey?

northwave-89181038-med.jpg

Or Sombrio's Lofter jersey, a bit more freeridery?

553-0-full-image2-17.jpg
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    My g/f loves Scott gear, she finds the fit and comfort spot on for her, she is kinda tiny though. She picked up some cannondale kit on the cheap online and hates it.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • chi11i
    chi11i Posts: 11
    Yes that looks ideal Mrs Toast! Thanks
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Rock Racing have cool skulls, too :)

http://shop.rockracing.com/pl/c/15.html
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Just a warning about the North Wave top with skulls on. I tried it on, and although it really is lovely, it comes in teeny tiny sizes. I'm about a size 12 on top and the large was too small on me!!

Wiggle have some Sugoi armwarmers with skulls on and if you can still get them, Race Face do some rather fetching freeridey full fingered gloves (not too heavy duty though) in either pink or pale blue with a sort of abstract skull/dirt splat design. I have pair and love them :)

Minx is an excellent place to shop for girlie gear www.minx-girl.com - loads of lovely goodies.

Personally, I rate Cannondale's fit and style quite highly and Harlot is nice for casual looking stuff (from Minx)
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Harlot

What a great name for a clothing range :D Must investigate.

I have some fab Alltura 3/4 length baggies... got them 1/2 price from Cycle Surgery....

But I do need some tops - atm I'm sporting your Helly Hansen (not the pale pink girly ones, but the black men's in a small).

Gotta look good!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • The Harlot stuff is great, and the pad is called the Beaver Comfort Zone 8)

I recommend the Scarlet capris
  • Actually, Wiggle don't have the armwarmers any more, but Minx do, along with a whole load of other skull bits, like another pair of armwarmers, a jersey and even a skulls Buff!
  • What is the sizing like in the Harlot stuff? I normally take about a size 8-10 in bottoms and ten in a top, but due to climbing i find that a lot of bike specific clothes are pretty tight around my shoulders and back. Currently i ride in an old tatty wicking top, but would like nice jerseys and shorts :)
  • Currently i ride in an old tatty wicking top, but would like nice jerseys and shorts :)

Of course! You know, wearing fab clothes makes you ride your bike better.... :P

• Ditch Witch
    Yeah, but tatty clothes does wonders for your steez *nods sagely*
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • too true, sistah :wink:

• Ditch Witch
    Word ;)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • sweet

• Ditch Witch
    Duuuude (what's mine say?)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • wassuuuuuup!

• Like totally maaaaaan :p
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    surely this is the only way a lady should appear in public riding a bike:

LadyOnBike.jpg
  • I think that might snag on the trails, although if anyone does manage a trail dressed like that, hats off!
  • SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    You wait, what goes around comes around in fashon... Next season I will be riding a penny farthing too :wink:
  • I'm loving the idea of a full suss penny farthing 8)

Harlot sizing seems to be pretty cool. I was a UK14 (possibly a little bigger) and the large in the capris was cool. Am now a fairly standard 12 and can still get away with wearing them although I worry about builder's arse a little :wink:

They're well stretchy and adaptable. Maybe a small for a Uk8-10?? Maybe worth trying both small and med.

What is it with the sizing in women's bike gear??? Why can one brand be so far off the mark it's unreal and others seem to get it right?

In my experience ones who have got their sizing OK:

Cannondale
    Harlot
    Sugoi (mostly- but NOT the tri shorts!!)
    Pearl Izumi
  • Altura sizing is good - I was very impressed to fnid myself in a medium pair of 3/4 length baggies, which they had as a size 14. Yay!

• The only real experience I've had with Altura was a pair of baggy shorts a few years back now. Not a bad fit, but even the large was a bit snug, especially across the thighs, and I was about a 14 then. Gues they've changed their sizing a bit :D

I'm mostly resigned to buying a large in lycra shorts anyway, as I hate the 'stuffed sausage' look created by too tight leg grippers.

Oh, and Ground Effect stuff is SUPERB!! and the fit is great (New Zealand girlies obviously come in all shapes and sizes)

Don't be put off by the whole shipping from NZ thing. They are not expensive and I've actually ordered stuff from UK mail order peeps and had it take longer than their deliveries! Excellent gear.
  • I might just have a look at Ground Effect. I don't mind shipping from other places if its reasonable.

I wish i could wear pearl isumi, i tried a jacket on from them think it was a large and i couldn't clap my hands. The bottoms are okay.

I've got a pair of endura baggies and they fit fine, other than the velcro which is khack but i may get out my needle and thread and give some sewing a go.

if someone can whip together a full suss penny farthing, i''d love to try it out, although i have a feeling it would end in tears!!!
  • Ditch Witch
    I have the same problem with Pearl Izumi. Large? Balls :roll:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Balls :shock:

Err...... hmmm

• To be fair, I HAVE only tried Pearl Izumi's bottoms, not the tops. Found the bottoms to be OK tho.

If I see someone pedalling 'round the course at Eastnor in a couple of weeks on a Penny Farthing I'll know who it is :lol:

Anyone had any luck finding female friendly winter spd shoes? I'm looking for the insulated type ones. Apparently Shimano sold out of theirs last year :shock: