Use a bike pump for a car?

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I use a Specialized track pump for my bikes, pressure up to something enormous.

Any reason why I couldn't use it for pumping up car tyres as well? Save on having to go to the garage....
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    As long as it has a schreider valve I don't see any problem. :)

Unless ... is your car super cool and have presta valves? :P
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    White Line wrote:
    As long as it has a schreider valve I don't see any problem. :)

Unless ... is your car super cool and have presta valves? :P

Its a Yaris, definitely NOT supercool.

Unless it has my bike in the back :D
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Yes you can - I use mine in preference to driving round looking for a working gagrage pump.. Its a bit tedious iand quite hard work if you need to get a lot of air in - especially when the wife says "now you,ve done yours mine could do with a check".

• The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    You will find that it will take a lost of pumps. The volume of air in a bike tyre is very small compaired to a car tyre.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I may be wrong, but I think just a few PSI makes a much bigger difference on a car than it does on a bike, hence the track pump may not be accurate enough to judge what you've put in. A digital pressure guage should remedy that though (what I do!).
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    +1 for using it for car tyres. I checked the pressures with a car tyre gauge when I first used it and they were almost identical so I'm happy the gauge on my track pump.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    -1 for using it in car tyres, unless you want a 30 minute upper body work-out. Tried it a couple of weeks ago and it takes a ridiculous number of strokes to do even 5 psi.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I take the opposite approach and use the car foot-pump for the mtb tyres. Doddle!
  • Your track pump may just be on its way out, I use mine on the car and whilst it takes a long time it does work, not sure about the gauge though, I usually do the kick test to check the pressure! :lol:
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    There is a good reason that it is a BIKE pump!!