knocked off today - ouch !

n5gooner
n5gooner Posts: 21
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
doing my normal commute Leatherhead to Soho and got knocked off on the A24 just before Tooting Bec tube.

I was along side this chaps car, when he decided to just turn into his drive way (left turn), knocking me flying.

Had several people stop and ask if I was ok - several people stopped to say they would be a witness, one chap gave his details (thanks for that if your reading) got the driver details etc.

Think the bikes ok, think I'm ok on the whole.

The driver said he didn't see me, well that because you didn't look !!! This could have been avoided if he'd looked.......

right - that's all done and said now - feel better, still picking bits of road out from my arm though :lol: Still it is only the second time in 8 years of cycling into London so not so bad I guess....

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Ouch. Glad you're in one piece.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm glad you're okay mate, :shock: it seems like a day for knocks, bumps, (near) accidents and aggressive drivers.

Just as a matter of interest - did you filter up to him, or did he overtake you?

(not that it matters, just curious)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it's in the stars - or something.

The stretch of my ride between London Bridge and Holborn seemed particularly hazardous today with many more vehicles parked in the cycle lane than usual, two people stepped out in front of me, one woman forcing me to screech to a halt, and I think she barley noticed me even then. The number of vans and taxis cutting me up - right of the bleeding scale! A veritable assault course, it was! :evil:
  • n5gooner
    n5gooner Posts: 21
    I'd been alongside him for a little while, filtered upto him about 30m away by some traffic lights.
  • bluesacs
    bluesacs Posts: 95
    For some reason the traffic was pretty heavy early on this morning; just one of those bizarre days.
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Used to live on an accident blackspot junction and I can tell you that on hot days there were ALWAYS more incidents. In fact, whenever there was a change in the weather or the day before any holiday weekend. People just aren't thinking as usual ...well...even less than usual.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Glad you're alright by the sounds of it.

Definitely some madness going on in the sunshine today.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Hope you aren't feeling to sore.

The guy was clearly at fault but that is a mistake that drivers commonly make and for that reason I am very wary about filtering up the inside.

I certainly would not hold a position alongside a vehicle for any length of time.

Don't want to rub salt into your road rash - I had an off that was someone else's fault but on reflection I could have avoided. No prizes for being in the right and hurt!

J
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ouch! Lucky you're ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    n5gooner wrote:
    I'd been alongside him for a little while, filtered upto him about 30m away by some traffic lights.
    D'Oh.

Glad you are okay, but really.. D'Oh.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Good to hear you are in one piece. Get your bike checked over at your LBS, the driver should pay for any damages (even if they are minor).

p.s I have a friend who knocked over a cyclist at a junction and apparently the cyclist said 'I didn't see you' after the accident. This is something you should NOT say, as the driver can (and did) use that as evidence that the accident was no-one's fault and therefore the driver was not responsible for bicycle damage repairs.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Glad to hear you are OK. That doesn't sound like fun but this sort of thing happens too often. Doesn't half shake you up, though it can also sharpen the mind for next time.

Might be worth contacting those witnesses, have the LBS check your bike's condition and contact the perpetrator re. your situation.

I'm shopping for a white/yellow/red top to wear for commuting. My pride can't quite handle wearing hi-viz in broad daylight. A week ago a taxi driver pulled out of a side turning and knocked me off then claimed he hadn't seen me. First time ever, I hope it's the last. Bike only required rear wheel trueing by LBS. It was on a rural B-road with good line of sight and no other traffic, dry and overcast so no rain/blinding sun etc.

I filed a Police report and emailed the relevant Council dept. Police don't want to know if no-one's injured, but IMHO the git should still receive a letter. After all, shouldn't the error be formally recognised and not ignored simply because he didn't hit me hard enough to cause injury?

I had a close call a while ago. Local electrician's van passed me and immediately turned left into the car park of an industrial unit right across my nose. I emergency braked to a foot or two from his rear panel as he considerately (not) stopped half way up the kerb in front of me. When I rang him about it he claimed I "came out of nowhere" (he was alongside secons before) and blamed me for going so fast (15-18mph on MTB on a straight 30mph urban road). I concluded that he was either feeling extremely guilty or just a d*ckhead. After his van passed me yesterday I gave it the V's just for old time's sake :twisted:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    n5gooner wrote:
    doing my normal commute Leatherhead to Soho and got knocked off on the A24 just before Tooting Bec tube.

Impressive daily commute distance! Glad that you are OK.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just make sure you and the bike are OK - it was two weeks before I realised something was not right - AC joint injury and I've got nerve damage in my spine/neck (which is giving pain in arm and hand.....6 months later).

Are you insured - i.e. CTC/BC etc....... cos if not, get it......at least for future incidents.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    fossyant wrote:
    Just make sure you and the bike are OK - it was two weeks before I realised something was not right - AC joint injury and I've got nerve damage in my spine/neck (which is giving pain in arm and hand.....6 months later).

Are you insured - i.e. CTC/BC etc....... cos if not, get it......at least for future incidents.

+1 on see a doctor. Always be sure. +1 on taking the bike to the LBS

I would also second joining the CTC and or British Cycling. They can help with legal stuff*, but are great for other kinds of advice too.

* You may actually have a case for compensation. The CTCs lawyers can help you on a no-win-no-fee even if you're not a member, so follow the link from their website. Sadly the only way some drivers will learn is when several thousand £££ comes either out of their pocket or their insurer has to pay out and whacks their policy cost right up (as happened with the driver who hit me - he know pays over double what he used to, I was told)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    But this was effectively an undertake, right? When does filtering become an undertake? Grey area, but whilst the driver should have checked nearside mirror, and should have indicated (although if you are alongside it can be difficult to tell) the cyclist should bear some responsibility for ghosting into the blind spot and staying there.

I don't want to be sanctimonious here, but if everyone's alright and there is shared blame, perhaps chalking it down to experience is the best way forward, rather than lobbing letters from solicitors about and increasing everyone's insurance premium.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    But this was effectively an undertake, right? When does filtering become an undertake? Grey area, but whilst the driver should have checked nearside mirror, and should have indicated (although if you are alongside it can be difficult to tell) the cyclist should bear some responsibility for ghosting into the blind spot and staying there.

I don't want to be sanctimonious here, but if everyone's alright and there is shared blame, perhaps chalking it down to experience is the best way forward, rather than lobbing letters from solicitors about and increasing everyone's insurance premium.

note: I said "may" :wink: One thing to ask though is "did the driver indicate"? You're right on the money with shared blame if it is indeed that way.. though I do wonder. The accepted coincensus has long been cyclists on the left, cyclelanes to filter up the left, etc, etc. It has a bearing on how people cycle sometimes.