Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited October 2019 in Pro race
...wins Paris-Roubaix:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id= ... sroubaix09

A taste of things to come I suspect.

Comments

• leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Was there really not a single GB rider in the race? Strikes me as odd. Anyone know why?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    ...wins Paris-Roubaix:

Not if you go by the previous decade of winners it isnt.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Taylor Phinney.... The cycling equivalent of Ronald Reagan cross-breeding with George W Bush. Be afraid be very afraid....!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    ...wins Paris-Roubaix:

What if you go by the fact that he's world pursuit champion at the age of EIGHTEEN!?!?
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    ...wins Paris-Roubaix:

What if you go by the fact that he's world pursuit champion at the age of EIGHTEEN!?!?

I took the wrong drugs at eighteen and could hardly find the early house, when I did it was 9:;45 am, some make better choices.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    ...wins Paris-Roubaix:

I place absolutely no emphasis on what a rider does when he goes round in circles............the road is where he will be judged.
  • Kléber
    MG rightly points out that many Espoirs winners have not become household names but I think this is because the race is a lottery at times, the winner can sometimes be the luckiest. But Phinney has talent all over, one minute he's getting a medal in the Kilo world champs on the track, the next minute he's in the lead break in Roubaix.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    MG rightly points out that many Espoirs winners have not become household names but I think this is because the race is a lottery at times, the winner can sometimes be the luckiest. But Phinney has talent all over, one minute he's getting a medal in the Kilo world champs on the track, the next minute he's in the lead break in Roubaix.

I dont deny the kid has talent for someone his age but its a matter of time to see whether that talent manifests itself when he plays in the big boys playground
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    MG, don't drop dead but I absolutely agree with you - there's a huge gulf between achievements on the track and the road - and, whilst Phinney is undeniably talented, there was little real competition at the last track Worlds. I, like you, will wait and see what happens when he plays with the big boys...
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Kléber wrote:

That is very true -- but what do you make of his switch from Vaughters to the Armstrong gang. I found that disappointing.

I wouldn't let my kid make that move.
  • moray_gub
    Bakunin wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

That is very true -- but what do you make of his switch from Vaughters to the Armstrong gang. I found that disappointing.

I wouldn't let my kid make that move.

You wouldnt let your kid work alongside one of the most if not thee most famous cyclist in the world ???? im sorry but i find one that hard to believe.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    It would depend what strings were attached - going from a team committed to an anti doping strategy to one with links to Ferrari would not be something I'd want my son to do, not least for the fact that it would attract this kind of innuendo
  • Bakunin
    micron wrote:
    It would depend what strings were attached - going from a team committed to an anti doping strategy to one with links to Ferrari would not be something I'd want my son to do, not least for the fact that it would attract this kind of innuendo

I think micron has it right -- do you want your kid involved in a new way of doing things or stuck with a guy that celebrates secrets?

Taylor's move to Armstrong was disappointing.
  • That's the good thing about 18 year olds. They always follow their father's advice to the letter.
  • Bakunin
    That's the good thing about 18 year olds. They always follow their father's advice to the letter.

Amen!
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:

Easy to say when you are sitting at the computer but the reality is if LAs team came calling your kid would be off like a shot with your encouragement , you know it and so do i.
  • moray_gub
    Bakunin wrote:
    micron wrote:

I think micron has it right -- do you want your kid involved in a new way of doing things or stuck with a guy that celebrates secrets?

I would have no problem with my kid being asociated with one of the worlds most famous cyclists and his under 23 team and the anti doping programme that goes with it. You wouldnt have a problem with it either , so just say what you really think instead of jumping on that anti Lance bandwagon that trundles round these parts from time to time.
  • Kléber
    He was already signed up to the Garmin-Slipstream U-23 outfit, which is already very succesful in the US, it's hardly as if Phinney was begging handouts from his local bike shop and riding for the Wobbly Wheelers.

If I was advising Phinney and had to choose between the no-doping environment of Garmin and the "Dr Ferrari's a friend" world of Armstrong, the decision would be made in two seconds flat.

Armstrong provided the full works to impress Phinney, inviting him for a weekend, letting him drive his sports car, sending him gifts etc but I suspect this is as much about Trek trying to get the guy under contract.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    He was already signed up to the Garmin-Slipstream U-23 outfit, which is already very succesful in the US, it's hardly as if Phinney was begging handouts from his local bike shop and riding for the Wobbly Wheelers.

If I was advising Phinney and had to choose between the no-doping environment of Garmin and the "Dr Ferrari's a friend" world of Armstrong, the decision would be made in two seconds flat.

Armstrong provided the full works to impress Phinney, inviting him for a weekend, letting him drive his sports car, sending him gifts etc but I suspect this is as much about Trek trying to get the guy under contract.

I presume if you had a kid who was good at football you wouldnt want him to go to three of the worlds biggest clubs Real Madrid,Barca or Juventus ? after all all three of them have skeletons in their drugs closet. Barca and Real linked with Fuentes and Juve with alleged taking of EPO during the great side of the mid 90s. I think this anti Lance feeling gets taken to ridiculous levels at times and this is one of these times............get real ! The guy decided his better option was with LAs under 23 team i really dont see how any of you can say with any justification it was dissapointing.No diesrepect Kleber but for you tosay you would advise him differnently is laughable in the extreme i mean with all due respect Kleber how can you make that call based on what little you know of the reasons for his move
  • Kléber
    This thread is now heading towards another "Lance doped" / "Lance is clean" 'debate' :wink:

But once again, I'd have advised Phinney to stick with Slipstream but he wants to earn a living and was probably paid more, the choice was probably less about the ethics of any entourage.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    This thread is now heading towards another "Lance doped" / "Lance is clean" 'debate' :wink:

But once again, I'd have advised Phinney to stick with Slipstream but he wants to earn a living and was probably paid more, the choice was probably less about the ethics of any entourage.

These threads always do whenever people are linked with Lance ,under 23 team doesnt matter bad move for a rider............i mean lol or what !
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Well if there is one kid in the pro peleton who's folks can let him know what the real deal is then Phinney's are, they'll have seen it, known the rumours etc. Maybe the kid wants the money and to be fair Garmin-Chipotle aren't exactly setting the world on fire possibly for obvious reasons, although possibly because they just aren't that good.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    eh wrote:
    Well if there is one kid in the pro peloton who's folks can let him know what the real deal is then Phinney's are, they'll have seen it, known the rumours etc. Maybe the kid wants the money and to be fair Garmin-Chipotle aren't exactly setting the world on fire possibly for obvious reasons, although possibly because they just aren't that good.

Hi there.

Ok - I've got a lot of respect for Davis Phinney - and he's fighting an uphill battle against Parkinsons these days...

But, you have to look where he came from. He and Connie were members of _that_ 1984 US olympic cycling team - blood doping stories don't get much bigger than that.

Added to that, realise that Davis made his fame and fortune riding fast and loose on the US criterium scene - were the drug abuse was fast and drug testing loose.

Davis maintains he always rode clean... contrast that with one of his biggest rivals on that scene, Mark Whitehead who these days shrugs his shoulders and says yeah we were all on something - you could see the bulging eyeballs on the start line.

Have listen to this interview:

http://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=225

Davis Phinney is not Greig Lemond.

Cheers, Andy

ps If my kids get good enough for pro cycling I'll try to steer them in a different direction - track maybe?
  • Funnily enough Vaughters has just signed Jack Boberidge who i believe was 2nd to phinney on the track? Wouldnt be surprised to see these to racing the same races, i wonder if its a bit rivalry playing out between LA and JV with these two kids?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Bakunin
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    micron wrote:

I would have no problem with my kid being asociated with one of the worlds most famous cyclists and his under 23 team and the anti doping programme that goes with it. You wouldnt have a problem with it either , so just say what you really think instead of jumping on that anti Lance bandwagon that trundles round these parts from time to time.

Good for you. Yeah, I would have a problem with my kid doing it. I've tried to bring up my kids not to cheat (or to celebrate cheating). But I do think it would be difficult for a kid not cave when a 7x Tour winner knocks on the door.

In fact, I'm more pro-Taylor than anti-Lance, but you should know that given that you know everything I would do in that situation, etc. Also, thanks for the advice, but I don't do bandwagons.
  • eh
    Andy

I think you are saying more directly what I was thinking. Maybe his folks said pick between winning and riding 'clean'.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    D. Phinney and Carpenter were cleared of participating in the '84 blood boosting programme (which, while hardly ethical, was not specifically illegal according to IOC rules at the tme) by the US Olympic Council investigation later that year.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • eh
    The point still stands that they know what the deal is in winning bike races and I find it hard to believe that they'd never have mentioned it to their son.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    At the 2016 World Champs...

uci-road-world-championships-day-20161016-074933-688.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    1345934,owuFsbgVizWPcAoC2z1eoywF3ocxM0QaxM8dD1rTxD9GjloOH+T4rMz5VSWRYOGwLjvcjUu1YrRzqTUZsIYyBg==.jpg
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.