shorter sportives

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
i seem to be finding sportives over 60 mls too tiring, just finished the struggle 66mls in 5hrs 5 mins, but found the last few miles tiring, so im thinking of doing shorter sportives in future, im also on blood pressure tablets which dont seem to help,

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    They will get easier the more you do them if that helps :) Make sure you eat plenty as mastering the nutrition side of things is often as important as the training side of things to prevent the dreaded bonk in the final parts of the ride.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There will soon be a 50 milish NapoleonD recovery Sportif...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    NapoleonD wrote:
    There will soon be a 50 milish NapoleonD recovery Sportif...

sign me up
    8)
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Just choose the medio fondos rather than grand ones in events like Giro di Lombardia or Nove Colli etc. Some sportive events have three or more different routes to choose from, so you can stil take part but never have to be out all day. When I did the medio fondo from Como last year (the Giro d'Lombardia stage sportive and one with a civilised start time at 9:00) I was out for less than 4 hours and back at lunch time, which was most enjoyable. I was on holdiay after all! (you are meant to enjoy these things!)
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    There's the Stag Run at Ride to the Horns in Bedfordshire on 14th June. 50 miles, which is 2 x 25 mile loop so you have the chance to take a breather if needed.