Tranpennine Cycleway

Kev-Lar1960
Kev-Lar1960 Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Has anybody done the Trans Pennine Trail coast to coast and if so how good was it I am thinking of doing it as a holiday on my trusty 15 speed racer :)

Comments

• john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    You should be inundated with replies soon.

Have you read http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`ve done a bit of it at the west coast end.If you are going to stick to it you need a mountain bike.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • ikenbikeit
    ikenbikeit Posts: 32
    Much is offroad on gravel paths but nothing to rough. There are a couple of steep hills on the western side but you will manage. I would'nt have tyres that are too skinny though.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    I crosses the section from Doncaster to just short of Manchester. My memory is not 100% but I don't recall it being very rough, escept for a mile or 2 crossing West of the pass in the middle of the Pennines on farm track. It's probably doable on a tourer mostly, but not a racer.

The section between the Humber Bridge and Hull is interesting, seems to be a path along the Humber which gets swamped in high tide. Perhaps I took a wrong turning, would like to stand corrected as will probably get some use of it in the future.
  • Joatamon
    Joatamon Posts: 31
    Jest west of the Humber Bridge is a section of path which has recently been improved, it's right on the foreshore but I'm not aware that it gets covered.

Between there and Hull, through Hessle, the route moves inland, so it's possible you were taking a diversion.

The Woodhead Pass bit is very steep for a short while and is probably only cyclable on a full on mtb. You can always get off and push for a few hundred yards. Otherwise, a tourer would be fine, I've done it on 1.25" tyres.

There's a good route map here

http://mockcyclist.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/14/
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    Joatamon wrote:
    Jest west of the Humber Bridge is a section of path which has recently been improved, it's right on the foreshore but I'm not aware that it gets covered.

Between there and Hull, through Hessle, the route moves inland, so it's possible you were taking a diversion.
    That is possible, I was in a hurry to catch a train so gave up on confirming if it was the real route and ended up joining the Clive Sullivan Way. Usful to know about the section to the west, as I just head up there to catch trains out of Hull and an alternative is just to pick them up further down the line.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Not a solid surface for much of the route and can be muddy and waterlogged - A nountain bike is essential
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)