Fitting New Grips

truespin
truespin Posts: 155
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
My current grips are beginning to get a bit twisty and moving around on the bars so am planning on getting some lock-on grips.

However, trying to remove/move the current grips is proving to be a royal pain in the a$$ and I assume that fitting the new ones won't be any easier...

Is there some sort of secret that I'm missing out on? Any tips?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fitting the Lock on is very easy.

to remove the old ones blow compressed air form a compressor down then and they will come off.

Or some lube between the grip and the bar and the work it off. then clean very well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Hairspray's always worked well for me - both sliding off & sticking back on! Just lever the grip up a little so you can spray it right under.
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Blowing them off with compressed air is down right dangerous, one false slip and you've got a serious hospital trip on your hands.

Just slice the top of the old grip with a stanley knife and pull/peel them off.
  • truespin
    Thanks for the advise everyone - I've not got compressed air anyway so sound like I've avoided potential pain ;)

I think I'll give the hairspray trick a go and if all else fails get at it with my knife :)
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    The hairspray never fails!

If you do use the knife be uber-careful - even small scratches on the bar's surface can cause stress points to form. This is A Bad Thing.

But you needn't worry 'cause the hairspray always works 8)
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • truespin
    heh cool - I'll put my faith in the all-powerful hairspray :)
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I jam a thin screwdriver up under the grip then spray WD40 or similar in there. They tend to work off pretty easily then

As stated, Lock-ons are no problem as they are loose fit until you cinch the bolts up.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • hairspray when fitting, knife when removing. don't use hairspray with lockons- not needed.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    put an old spoke under the edge of the grip then drop some washing up liquid in the gap. Then if you twist the grip it will come off. Make sure you dry the bar before you put the new grips on.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time