20MM Maxle.. how do you service them?

Raymondavalon
Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
My Felt Compulsion comes with a 20mm Maxle system on the front wheel.
I took a good look at the front hub and I wondered how on earth one determines the condition of the bearings and/or services the Maxle type front hubs. Any ideas?

Comments

• Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    When you spin the wheel and it feels ropey or the hub wobbles it then needs servicing
  • Raymondavalon
    Right, pretty much got that worked out
    So.. how does one go about disassembling a Maxle type hub?
    Looked it over and there's [obviously] none of the typical "skewer" type axle fittings that allows one to strip the hub down..
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    What's the hub? There's loads of 20mm type hubs. Most just have cartridge bearings - knock 'em out, knock the new ones in. Job done.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cerouax
    cerouax Posts: 9
    I am quite keen to get the answer to this also, since discovering quite a wobble in my front wheel. Before I go removing the brake disc, it would be nice to know what I have to do!
  • cerouax
    Sorry DaveHill - you posted while I was logging in. How do you go about "Knocking it out"?
  • Raymondavalon
    dave_hill

Mine is the Felt hub. Knowing it's "cartridge" (or sealed race) bearings is quite reassuring
    I'll certainly be removing the front disc to have a closer examination as they will need changing one fine day.

As for knocking a bearing out, best done with a mallet (not hammer) and use a flat nosed punch with care, as the punch is of a harder material that the hub area and a slip could result in damage.
    Alternatively you could use a small bearing puller, these are available from most automotive spares outlets.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My Felt Compulsion comes with a 20mm Maxle system on the front wheel.
    I took a good look at the front hub and I wondered how on earth one determines the condition of the bearings and/or services the Maxle type front hubs. Any ideas?

so what is the, as has already been asked, the hub.

the maxel is just the axle the hub is a 20mm standard hub. (rear maxles are 12mm).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_hill
    cerouax wrote:
    Sorry DaveHill - you posted while I was logging in. How do you go about "Knocking it out"?

:shock: Snigger...

Seriously though, it depends what hub you've got.

I have Hope Pro IIs. You take the 20mm adaptors out of the ends of the hub which reveals the bearings underneath.

I then just use a 1/2" aluminium rod which I thread into the hub and rest it againt the inside of the bearing on the opposite side from which I'm working.

A few sharp taps with a hammer, working around the bearing, usually sees it out. Flip the wheel over and repeat.

Then I use an old socket to drive the new bearings in, usually with a little copper grease smeared on the outside of the new bearing.

As stated, that works for Pro IIs, but I can't see it being much different for most other cartridge bearing hubs.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    I'll certainly be removing the front disc

You may not even have to do that.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Raymondavalon
    dave_hill wrote:

Magnifique!
  • cerouax
    Thanks all, my hub is a Specialized Stout (stock on Pitch Pro)... I will take a closer look tomorrow.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill wrote:

Magnifique!

Absolutement. C'est une pièce grande de gateau.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic