finish, a nice fast downhill to the end it was not. Just a shame the queue
for the massage was quite long. All in all an excellent warm up for next
weeks 'Magnificat' at Highclaire. 8) 8)

See you all there. :wink:

'Never knowingly underweight'

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Yes, although I finished in pretty much the same time as last year, about 6 hours and a half, I found it a lot harder... the last 20 miles being really painful... probably the heat and consequent dehydration... last year was quite mild in comparison.

Fortunately it was less windy than anticipated by forecast.

The Chiltern 100 is a well organised event and at 19 pounds offer more food than most other pricier events, sign that someone is pocketing cash elsewhere... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Really great event - I agree that because of the weather it was harder than last year. I think that I like 18C and mist :-) must be a British thing. I really cramped up a lot which is something I haven't done cycling in a long time. It's good they finally got some "real" cycling food at the second feed. The first feed is a bit of a joke - I don't need to stop 57 kms into a ride???

Was the course 100% the same as 2008? I thought it seemed a tad longer - maybe 6-7 kms, nothing drastic, but a bit longer...any Garmin traces out there to compare? My track today was 167 kms. 5:58 riding time... Typcially, the last 70 kms were a complete TT :-(

Bring on Highclere! I just hope it's a bit cooler - but it's good training for 3 sportives in France I have planned.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Really great event - I agree that because of the weather it was harder than last year. I think that I like 18C and mist :-) must be a British thing. I really cramped up a lot which is something I haven't done cycling in a long time. It's good they finally got some "real" cycling food at the second feed. The first feed is a bit of a joke - I don't need to stop 57 kms into a ride???

Was the course 100% the same as 2008? I thought it seemed a tad longer - maybe 6-7 kms, nothing drastic, but a bit longer...any Garmin traces out there to compare? My track today was 167 kms. 5:58 riding time... Typcially, the last 70 kms were a complete TT :-(

Bring on Highclere! I just hope it's a bit cooler - but it's good training for 3 sportives in France I have planned.

Same course, yes
    left the forum March 2023
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Good account of the event, with personal insights from Simon O'Hagan here:

http://cyclotherapy.independentminds.li ... /6846.html
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom