Completely wrecked my front derailleur cable

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone,

Got a new bike about 4 weeks ago and thought I would be clever by trying to adjust the front gear cogs as it was rubbing a little. I loosened the allen key bolt and the cable came loose.

I can't fix it now. The cable is really frayed, and when I manage to secure it again, there is not enough tension in the cable, and none of the front gears work at all.

I'm thinking I should just take it back to the shop and pay for it to be repaired. Do you think t his would cost a lot of money? Or do you think I could repair it myself (taking into account the possibility that I'll wreck it even more).

Thanks everyone.

BTW, it's a mountain bike - Trek 6500.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Replacing a cable is easy enough- just buy a replacement inner and thread it through the existing sleeves. But setting up a front mech is a bit of a pain in the baws.

A trick that can sometimes work... If the cable outers have a lot of slack in, then you can trim a little off those and so win back some extra cable, which can be enough to refit and rebuild...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    Yup, It can be a P.I.T.B to set up properly... but once you have the cable all set up then have a swatch at this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngm6dr-1na0

it will be a help to u... :wink:
  • redrabbit
    Thanks guys.

How much do you think it would cost to get the problem repaired - e.g. just get the cable re-attached in the bike shop?

If it's cheap to replace the cable, I would get that done too.
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    redrabbit wrote:
    Thanks guys.

How much do you think it would cost to get the problem repaired - e.g. just get the cable re-attached in the bike shop?

If it's cheap to replace the cable, I would get that done too.

price varies from shop to shop.... :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    probably a fiver or so plus the cost of a new cable.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • redrabbit
    ilovedirt wrote:
    probably a fiver or so plus the cost of a new cable.

£5? I really hope it is that cheap!

Plus about £20ish for the cable probably. The bike was only bought about 4 weeks ago, maybe I can try and get a good deal, even though it's not a fault, they may give me a good rate as it was bought from there and is still really new.

And I'll be buying some new pedals worth about £30 which I can get fitted at the same time.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Calm down, sounds like you're panicking a bit and this is really not a big thing.

Since you've effectively messed up your indexing already i would urge you to buy a new cable and have a go at setting it up yourself. You really can't do anything wrong as long you don't physically move the front mech on the frame. You can't make it worse than what it is now (which isn't really a problem, it's just a setup and adjust issue)

Also if you have moved the mech on the frame it's also not a problem, you'll just need to adjust this, there's loads of guides on the net for this.

If you can't get it working correctly, just pop back to the shop and ask them to do it for you. If you bought the bike from them I'd be tempted to ask them to do it for free, especially if you're buying pedals at the same time. Take it in when it's quiet and it's a 10minute job for someone who knows what they're doing. It's only going to cost you a couple of quid if they do charge you, i can't see it costing more than £10, closer to £5 as the previous poster said. (a cable shouldn't cost more than a few pounds as well)