Why Bib Shorts?

AllTheGear
AllTheGear Posts: 248
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
There have been a couple of threads recently regarding these things, one had an issue with the style or fit, another was causing chafing. I was unfortunate to witness a mate of mine standing in some changing rooms wearing a pair, after removing his jersey. It was not pretty.

I use padded lycra shorts, they have that sticky rubber strip in to keep them in place, and cycling jerseys.

I'm just wondering what the point of the bibs is? Why do they have shoulder straps? I don't see how my shorts will ever move or fall off. I'm obviously missing out on something here....?
... and no idea ...

FCN: 3

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    For me, it's not having the waistband - I find it can sometimes dig in a bit on a longer ride, and the bibs remove that.

I voted for comfort...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I found that they eliminate a draft up the lower back during spring/autumn when it can be quite cool in the mornings, even if the forecast for the day is quite pleasant........but i'm under no illusion that they are a good look - my wife did mention freddy mercury once.....

not sure the look issue is the same for women -as demonstrated by the assos model
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Comfort is the big thing for me - nothing could make ME look sexy! :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    +1 for the lack of waistband.

Never had the chafing issues reported by GregT, even on long, hot summer rides. But then I always wear a baselayer. Believe it or not, a good lightweight baselayer will cool you down.

In winter an extra layer of fabric across your kidneys is also a good thing.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    for comfort, certinally not the look on me :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • I wasn't convinced until I tried them - they may look naff but they are damn comfy on longer rides if you get a good pair - I voted for comfort :D
  • AllTheGear
    Thanks for the replies so far, most helpful.

Who voted for sexy? 'Fess up. I've got a reality check for you too: you're wrong!!! :P
    ... and no idea ...

• doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    just dont look in the mirror :wink:

if the waistband thing is an issue on long rides, ie too tight or that unnerving feelling that things are heading south during a ride....forget it with these its one less thing to worry about

just dont expect to look like the bloke in the advert who models them without a top on,reality is best kept to yourself :?
  • NGale
    AllTheGear wrote:

Who voted for sexy? 'Fess up. I've got a reality check for you too: you're wrong!!! :P

if he had have been knocking around then the good commander would have voted for sexy...I too have told him he's wrong :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    NGale wrote:
    AllTheGear wrote:

if he had have been knocking around then the good commander would have voted for sexy...I too have told him he's wrong :lol:
    And then cut them off him to prove a point? ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • NGale
    JonGinge wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    AllTheGear wrote:

And then cut them off him to prove a point? ;)

cutting them off him was another story, totally innocent I must add, but needless to say we are now an item :wink:
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Yeah, they look a bit iffy (even in the context of lycra shorts) but they're nice and comfy. You have to try a pair to really appreciate them though- the waist digging in on normal shorts may not seem like a big deal, but you notice it when bibs don't do it.
  • No waistband is an advantage but it is the covering of the kidneys that wins my custom
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Never found the waistbad a problem, just the bare skin between the top and shorts, epsecially on the longer rides.

Another vote for keeping the kidneys warm, particularly in winter.

Chaffing on a problem - except on the warmest days, I'm wearing a baselayer or compression top on the commute.

Ive found the bibs with the meshing on the back cooler than those with solid material.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've gone for comfort but it nice to know that going from hoods to drops and back about 20 times on the way to work isn't going to leave me with ass cleavage.

As a side note, i didn't wear bibs on friday and my nips were raw!!! :shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    massive comfort thing for me

havent got the hassle of waistband digging in etc. also nice for jersey not to be wet touching the skin and kidneys stay warm

i dont think bibs can make anyone look sexy, people just laugh at me.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    THey are more comfortable but there is an aesthetic thing which doesn't fall under "sexy".

Provided I have a top on, bibs make me look better than shorts do (hold the belly in without getting bulgy :oops: ).

Of course take the top off and ridicule ensues. I entertain the family royally when I get dressed in the morning...

So I'd argue that bibs are certainly not "sexy" in that provoking laughter as you take your clothes off is hardly what you are looking for from sexy clothing but they still have some visual advantages.

Having written that I'm now thinking about body shaping women's underwear. Shudder. No sexy is definitely not the right word...
  • Kieran_Burns
    jedster wrote:
    Having written that I'm now thinking about body shaping women's underwear. Shudder. No sexy is definitely not the right word...

When you say thinking about body shaping women's unbderwear.... in just what context are we talking here????? :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Bib shorts are SO much more comfortable.
    Always wear a wicking top under the short straps, then a jersey over that.
    Once you have a jersey over the top who knows the difference?
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I have a penchant for shors which aren't just black. Hard to get waist shorts that aren't dull and boring and black. When I want to dress like a super hero, bib shorts it is.

Note - if you wear waist shorts, its a darn sight easier to stop for a wee.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I have a penchant for shors which aren't just black. Hard to get waist shorts that aren't dull and boring and black. When I want to dress like a super hero, bib shorts it is.

stop?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • NGale

The good Commander is the same, likes the shorts which arn't dull and boring. although the white shorts are a little startling.

stick with black shorts myself, far more slimming. even got a wolf whistle from one of the guys in work the other day when I went into control wearing them... :lol: :shock:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    NGale wrote:

The good Commander is the same, likes the shorts which arn't dull and boring. although the white shorts are a little startling.

stick with black shorts myself, far more slimming. even got a wolf whistle from one of the guys in work the other day when I went into control wearing them... :lol: :shock:

White shorts + shadow = :oops:
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

White shorts + shadow = :oops:

exactly :shock:
  • Kieran_Burns
    NGale wrote:

We REALLY need to start a campaign to get you to change your Avatar you know?

I had images that completely did my crust in, until I remembered you're a girlie :shock:

:wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • AllTheGear
    NGale wrote:
    ...even got a wolf whistle from one of the guys in work the other day

There we have it, an admission that women like this kind of thing!!

(Never done it myself, in my pre-emptive defence!)
    ... and no idea ...

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    comfort and they can also be used for fancy dress if you want to go as an old style british wrestler... here was Greg T at a recent do

02.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • NGale
    AllTheGear wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    ...even got a wolf whistle from one of the guys in work the other day

There we have it, an admission that women like this kind of thing!!

(Never done it myself, in my pre-emptive defence!)

didn't say I liked it :lol: knowing my lot they were possibly taking the p*ss :lol:

although have to say the bib shorts are rather slimming and disturbingly comfortable... :shock:
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I put comfort, to be honest I thought I would never get any. The wife took the piss once while flicking through a bike mag and asking if i was going to get a "mantard" as she put it now I had a sports bike.

Oh how she laughed when I cam home with a pair. But as only a few quid more than the shorts I thought I would give them a go. Fine for the long ride at the weekend but I keep to the shorts for the commute.

+1 for keeping in the gut and handles. 8)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    If I could find a women's pair which is under £50 I might consider them as I am indeed feeling the pinch a little around the waist with normal shorts!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif