Rock N Roll gold chain lube and chain noise

Wappygixer
Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I've recently been using Rock N Roll gold chain lube due to a few good reviews.
My past 2 rides I've been out, about 30 miles into the ride I get horrible chain creaking noises.
It happened on Friday afternoon so I relubed my chain Friday evening ready for Saturday.Saturdays ride and about 30 miles in and my chain was creaking again.
Chain wear is not the cause as its well within tollerence according to the Park chain checker.
I clean my chain on a regular basis and look after my whole drive chain in general.
I'm thinking its the chain lube I'm using.The main reason for using it was for cleanliness but if its not much use I'll switch to another.
Any reports on similar with Rock N Roll gold would be very welcome.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've never had a problem with it.

Did you saturate the chain as per the instructions and then wife off the excess?

The only thing that annoys me about it is that it flings black much all over your chainstays.

I've just switched to Squirt Lube for the summer.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Wappygixer wrote:
    I've recently been using Rock N Roll gold chain lube due to a few good reviews.
    My past 2 rides I've been out, about 30 miles into the ride I get horrible chain creaking noises.
    It happened on Friday afternoon so I relubed my chain Friday evening ready for Saturday.Saturdays ride and about 30 miles in and my chain was creaking again.
    Chain wear is not the cause as its well within tollerence according to the Park chain checker.
    I clean my chain on a regular basis and look after my whole drive chain in general.
    I'm thinking its the chain lube I'm using.The main reason for using it was for cleanliness but if its not much use I'll switch to another.
    Any reports on similar with Rock N Roll gold would be very welcome.

I'm not getting that with Rock n Roll but I was with Purple Extreme which is why I switched to R&R.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    k-dog wrote:
    Did you saturate the chain as per the instructions and then wife off the excess?

Excellent idea .. :wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have my doubts that your lube is at fault. Lube is lube pretty much no matter who makes it or what they call it. Well lubed items don't make lots of noises unless they are "shot".
    Look elsewhere. i.e. something loose, something worn out, something not properly assembled(chain?), etc.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    rockmount wrote:
    k-dog wrote:

Excellent idea .. :wink:

:lol

If that's not a Freudian slip I don't know what is.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I'm pretty certain its the chain.On Friday evening when I got home from my ride I put some fresh chain lube on and rode around the block and it was all quiet with no noise at all.

Lubing wise, yes I soaked the chain, ran the drive chain for a while and cleaned off the excess.

I cant see anything being worn out as its not done many miles really.I do have a couple of new cassettes and chain laying around I could try but the chains only done around 1000-1500 miles max and thats a high estimate.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wappygixer wrote:
    I'm pretty certain its the chain.On Friday evening when I got home from my ride I put some fresh chain lube on and rode around the block and it was all quiet with no noise at all.

Lubing wise, yes I soaked the chain, ran the drive chain for a while and cleaned off the excess.

I cant see anything being worn out as its not done many miles really.I do have a couple of new cassettes and chain laying around I could try but the chains only done around 1000-1500 miles max and thats a high estimate.

I know what you're saying but I still doubt it's a lube problem. All of those lubes work IF
    you use them regularly. I'm thinking chain problem as opposed to actual lube failure. I've used R & R off and on for some time - no problems and things stay quiet. IMHO it's NOT
    a lube problem, it's a mechanical one. Something is not quite right. Good luck. And by the way it's not unusual for almost all bike noises to sound like they are coming from the chain, crank, bb area.