Bike Weights - Not the usual thread! Helpful opinions pleas

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited June 2009 in MTB general
OK, I've got my own view on quoted bike weights, but I've got a weight obsessed teenager buying a bike and making a comparison of best buys based on weights quoted on manufacturers websites. I'm arguing that these are variable and depend on how the bike is weighed - some weigh without pedals, some even without saddles and some of the numbers are often not accurate.

Can anyone offer an opinion to contradict or support the above so that the young weight weenie and I can have an objedctive discussion about website quoted weights vs spec and quality for the purposes of buying a bike?

Specifically, do you believe the weights on manufacturers and shops websites?
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Well tyres are a good one.

Lapierres always come up light but they fit ridiculous tyres. Put something sensible back on and they weigh the same as everything else.
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    I would agree with you, the manufacturer claims are always off for many reasons, some just lie.
    If you want to be light as possible go frame only and hand pic components.
    I would always pick a bike that rode well irrespective of its weight.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Weighing a small frame seems to be pretty common. And all the others mentioned above- daft tyres, no pedals, weighed as tubeless without sealant... And of course, just making it up. Quite a lot of making it up I reckon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    I thing Giant quote med frame, some with, some without pedals depending how its sold.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My Meta 5.5 is a small frame, I've reduced the weight on some bits, put much lighter tyres on and use Wellgo MG1 pedals and it is still heavier than they quote.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    A few hundred grams either way isn't going to make much difference (unless it's maybe in the wheels). Bike performance is more to do with the feel of bike which will vary from rider to rider. Read the mag reviews, they often say that a heavy bike (on paper) rides much lighter and vice versa. Overall weight is not the be all and end all when riding. Get him to try a few, preferably without knowing what the weight is and ask him which ones 'feels' quickest etc.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Decathlon weigh the largest frame with pedals, quite refreshing!

What we need is an independant source to measure and publish them. Trading Standards cracked down on fork claimed weights a while ago when many were weighing without steerers or severly cut down ones.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Also accuracy of weighing equipment, just accquired some 09 sid teams and other few things, 200mm steerer, weighed on a Park DS-1 Digital scale at my Lbs.....2lb 14oz....on my kitchen scales3lb 2oz...bathroom scales..3lb 7oz...just got some superstar hubs (supperlegera/superfast) and they come out just about quoted figures on my kitchen scales (within 3g)..look quartz pedals..quoted 125g per pedal...i get 140g per pedal.....some are accurate and some a fair % out. I'll weigh my new Anthem X0 frame next week and see what it comes out at. My mate has a Yeti ASR-SL (m), full xtr (new), crossmax sl's,Fox F100 rlc, easton ec90 bar/ post and a few other weight saving components..comes is slighter heavier (weighed with pedals) than the Anthem X1s quoted weight...everything on it is quoted as being lighter than the spec on the X1 except forks and his Racing ralph evo ust's (prob same weight as typre/tube combo)!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    <looks shifty>

I just bought 5 new Bontrager XXlight innter tubes, claimed 95g. Is it a sign of mental illness that I weighed them all, and if any had been over 95g I'd have been tempted to send them back? :)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    If he's an XC racer than weight matters. If not then get a bike that feels comfortable to ride.

A light bike is not always as good thing.
    I tested a Specialized S-Works Epic in February which weighs about 21lbs and it was just too light for my type riding. It was almost impossible to keep the front tracking in a straight line.
  • myopic
    Cheers, guys. Comments are great back-up on just about everytihgn I've told him - its just got a bit more cred if it comes from someone other than your Dad :wink: . Something happens in the brain at about 13-14 with a change from thinking your Dad knows everything to believing he doesn't actually know half as much as your latest "expert" mate. Not that any of us ever did that, I'm sure :roll:

Anyway the message that quality, feel and spec are more important that quoted weights is getting through, so hopefully he's going to throw his money n the right direction!
  • myopic
    Northwind wrote:
    <looks shifty>

I just bought 5 new Bontrager XXlight innter tubes, claimed 95g. Is it a sign of mental illness that I weighed them all, and if any had been over 95g I'd have been tempted to send them back? :)

Maybe not mental illness, but ..... not entirely.....normal? :wink: I guess they were all within spec then. Did the 95g include the valve caps? :lol:
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    Northwind wrote:
    <looks shifty>

:oops: I gotta ask :oops:
    What did they weigh?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Refreshingly, both my Fox floats and Vanillas were as good as dead on claimed weight with a very sensible amount of steerer...
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    edited May 2009
    for weight confirmations I look at weight weenies

Claimed weigths, especially for whole bikes, are notoriously inaccurate to the point that iirc Cannondale used to refuse to publish claimed weights on the basis that they'd have to lie in order to appear competitive (and just in case you don't know; cannondale XC bikes are far from heavy, I've had 2). Not sure if they've relented on that of late, probably. To put some numbers on it (which I read on the internet, so they must be true) inaccuracies of 30% have been noted in whole bike claimed weights

That's an aside from whether it matters or not, which at the price level I *hope* a 14 year old is looking at, it really doesn't beyond making sure that the bike isn't excessively lardy. A difference of 2 kg I would consider important, a difference of half a kilo I would not.

How about taking him to a bike shop to test a coupe of alternatives out? See if he can tell the difference in the weights.

Or just tell him to can it or his Dad will choose his bke for him and that nice Mrs Beadle down the way, her daughter is selling her shopping bike, that's be great, dropped top tubes have loads of standover and pink is the new white, isn't it? :wink:

/edit ooh ooh and if you want dad expert kudos, start rambling on about rotating weight. If he is an average 14 year old then he will not have been paying attention in physics or math classes and you will blow his poor young mind with your awesome knowledge :D
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Northwind wrote:
    <looks shifty>

Yes, and you're getting progressively worse and it all started with buying that Soul frame. :lol:
  • myopic

/edit ooh ooh and if you want dad expert kudos, start rambling on about rotating weight. If he is an average 14 year old then he will not have been paying attention in physics or math classes and you will blow his poor young mind with your awesome knowledge :D

Cheers, Bomberesque. Tried that one - he thinks I was making it up! Anyway, the main thing is he's now ignoring the claimed weights and focusing on ride and spec :D
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I prefer companies who simply don't put their weights on the website. Frame alone I'd be content with, assuming it was realistic. You can figure the rest out roughly from the wheels + tyres, forks and finishing kit.

Commencal are the silliest I've known for it, their weight is a pure fabrication, I've never seen a frame or full bike come in as claimed, even small, no pedals etc. I'd never trust claimed weights, weighing something yourself is the only way. Even my Zaskar frame was a good 15% over the expected weight, rubbish!

This also leads to everyone assuming they're riding 25lb full sus and 20lb hardtails without actually verifying these numbers at all. I've been really hacking weight off the Zaskar trying to get nearer 20lbs, it's not as easy as claimed weights make it sound. Even my Thomson Elite post and titanium railed SDG saddle got swapped for something lighter.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Claimed weights really are a load of crap. When i built up my Lobster, i entered all the claimed weights into a spreadsheet - just out of interest - all told, it came in at around 22.9lbs. Weighed the complete bike and it came came in at literally 25lbs dead. Someone's telling porkies somewhere!