How long do you keep your bike?

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited June 2009 in MTB general
How long a period do you keep ypur bikes and use them regularly? I've just bought a 2nd hand one that I'll be keeping for a maximum of two years I'd imagine.

Do you keep them for a year then replace or is it much longer?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A bike is for Life not just for Xmas.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    To keep a bike is a difficult thing.

If the components are replaced over time due to damage etc it remains the same bike but if the frame goes and you transfer the components to a new frame... is that the same bike?
  • diamondbacker
    diamondbacker Posts: 224
    Hmmm, good question. I'd say that the frame counts as the 'bike' for the purposes of this discussion.

If you change the frame, to me, it wouldn't be the same bike.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    It's down to personal preference really. was talking to one guy, hes had his bike for 8 years, replaced parts as and when is needed. I suppose as long as you can get the parts then a lifetime really.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I bought bikes in the following years

the bikes form 1991 and 2000 are now officially pensioned off although I still own them, they will go to family to lead second lives as commutors. the other bikes all get used regularly, they are different styles (big FR, burly HT, flightly lightweight SS)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    First bike i had for 2 years (halforad carrera line) before i snapped the ridgid forks. Last bike i had for 9 years replacing bits as required (planet x jack flash). Current bike i've had for 3 weeks (SC Superlight) and i expect i'll have it for a fair few years yet.

I had SC Bullit which i built up to go out with a mate who used to ride DH before an accident so he started to ride bmx (boo!!). Although it was fun at the time i didn't have enough time to really get into it so after about a year i sold it on.

Unfortunatly bikes cost too much to replace every year or two - if i were loaded with spare £££ i might be tempted to change more often.
  • Lanzachris
    Lanzachris Posts: 38
    I had my last bike 12 years! Still works fine after updating the forks and rear shock about 10 months ago. Bike was a trek Y22 so being an urt sus design I thought it was a bit out of date with todays bikes. So for my birthday my girlfreind bought me a cube ams 125 xt. Great bike! loving it loads thanx!!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've still got every bike I've owned since about 13... The old mtb's lasted 17 or 18 years, though right now it's in bits and having basically everything replaced bar the frame, forks and wheels... The cheap carrera kraken I got last year to see if I could still do mtbing and to see if I still enjoyed it is in the garage but it's a spare/spare parts mule now so only about 3/4 of it is actually there. I planned to sell it but it's so handy having a spare...

I guess technically the scandal frame I had might count as a different bike? But every part on it was either off the kraken or transferred onto the cotic so I don't count it. But that's the thing, I think it will be with me for the long run but it's not often the same bike from one month to the next. The question is, which part of a bike contains its soul? At what point does an old bike become a new bike?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Northwind wrote:
    . The question is, which part of a bike contains its soul? At what point does an old bike become a new bike?

Got to to be the frame?

Not the saddle that just carries my sole

Cheehee
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I always said frame but the Scandal just doesn't stick in my mind as a different bike, it was just the Kraken with a different frame. But then, the Soul definately is a different bike to me, despite having only one other new part fitted to it when I built it up. So all in all it's a load of irrational rubbish :)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • andyhilton
    andyhilton Posts: 156
    I'm a serial bike part upgrader so I always seem to be in flux. Bikes are a collection of parts. So I guess I count keeping bikes as keeping frames.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I intend to keep the bike i bought this year as my 'best' bike for about 3 years before buying a new 'best' bike and this one will be demoted to commuting duties. I wouldn't get rid of it until i damaged the frame or it needed so many replacement parts at once that it would pay for a decent chunk of a new one.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    In Bristol, as long as it takes for someone to steal it. A year is usually good going - I'm on 18 months so far!