Drop off's and quick entry descents ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Lads,

We've been over to Swinley forest a few times recently and a few of the trails (Corkscrew for example) have what is to be bloody HARD entry points. Not quite a vertical drop but a good 75deg drop of 8' for example.

How the sodding hell do we do these ?

Even at the end of a couple of runs, there's a 3' vertical drop off,is it a question of just having a go and picking up the front as you leave so you land both wheels together ?

Bunny hopping and minor jumps are OK for me... uphills are great... but damn i struggle with hard entry into routes/trails.

Tips and advice please ?

Comments

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    just make sure you have pleanty of speed and pull your weight right over the back wheel, as long as your going fast enough you dont really have to worry about pulling the front up just sail right off it.

if its a slow drop i usually wheelie off just enough to keep the bike level as the back wheel drops off.

just practice off a kerb, try n get both wheels hitting the road at the same time.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    richg1979 wrote:
    just make sure you have pleanty of speed and pull your weight right over the back wheel, as long as your going fast enough you dont really have to worry about pulling the front up just sail right off it.

if its a slow drop i usually wheelie off just enough to keep the bike level as the back wheel drops off.

just practice off a kerb, try n get both wheels hitting the road at the same time.

Easy on a Kerb mate :) it's when you get higher i get worried :)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    eye up the drop, decide where the best line is and make sure you start from well back. Give yourself plenty of room to roll up to the edge then just let yourself 'drop off'. Hit them just below jogging speed and float down, landing both wheels together, weight slightly back. If they are uber technical and twisty then you need bigger balls :)
    They are an awesome adrenaline rush when you hit them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A steep incline you may be able to roll down with your weight right back over the rear wheel.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    its always easyer the faster your goin, if you hit it slow and get it wrong you over the bars, if you hit it fast n get it wrong you just land a bit nose heavy.

and as supersonic says for inclines.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Those drop offs at Swinley that weeksy59 is referring have a tendancy to appear at the last minute. Unless you know the trail well, they can catch a rider out.
    I love Swinley, but due to it's size and multitude of trails, I don't know it well enough to be prepared for every eventuality along the various trails, so I battle with the dop offs myself, but since fitting an adjustable seatpost (CB Joplin) I follow Supersonic's advice and hang my @ss over the rear wheel. It's not quite as glamorous as flying down the drop offs, but it's safer and it works for me.
  • JK in the UK
    JK in the UK Posts: 132
    weeksy - what trails other than the corkscrew are you referring too? Also what bike do you have? Just intrigued as it'll give me an idea to how it feels riding it so I should be able to advise accordingly...

Top tip for corkscrew is don't go ahead and 'scope out' the entry 'drop' - just do it. Roll over it with your ass over the back wheel behind the saddle.

I took a couple of mates round it who are relatively new to biking and they both ummed and erred about it. The first set off way way too slow, wobbled over the edge, applied the front brake and went straight over the handlebars!! The other decided not to bother! :lol:

On the other hand I've taken my girlfriend round the corkscrew. Admittedly she is a seriously dappy mare with absolutely no fear of pain or injury, but she shot straight off the drop in, chasing me! Still, I was bloody surprised and all she had to say afterwards was 'yeah, it was ok. A bit like a rollercoaster but could have been longer or steeper'. :shock:

Now, she was on my full susser but if she took this riding malarky seriously I think she'd be bloody awesome and show me up big time. I'd better not encourage her too much!!!

Moral of the story: ok, hesitate and check out any drops but for those roll ins just do them. Don't pedal like mad to launch them though. You want to be going just fast enough so you're not wobbling etc.

EDIT: oh btw - saw your post about Afan. Believe me it WILL keep both you and your mate as happy as larry. Seriously, if you've never been away for any 'proper' riding, then it'll be an awesome awesome awesome eye opener - DO IT!
  • Stumpy Ade
    Stumpy Ade Posts: 81
    There is a nice little spot for practising just round the corner from corkscrew, (turn left after corkscrew 200m uphill on left) steep drops with a gentle run off ( if some tw@t doesn't put a bloody big log half way down :evil: ) just plant your arse over the back wheel, a bit of pace and away you go.