Creaking shock, time for a service?

Ciaran500
Ciaran500 Posts: 348
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Got my meta about a year ago and its been running fine and been well looked after but recently its developed a creak and I'm nearly sure its coming from the shock. Tried my best to eliminate every other possible source of a creak.

Is it just time to get the shock serviced or is it to early to need a service?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more likely bushes and bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ciaran500
    I removed the shock and moved the bike up and down and it was silent, although I couldn't put weight on it so it doesn't completely eliminate them.
  • jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    Take a good look at the top pivot of the triangle linkage. That's the one that makes the racket on my Meta (and others have reported this on the Commencal forum)

I run this bolt very slightly loose. If it's nipped up tight it sounds like my frame's about to crack in half. Think it's the plastic washer type thing binding and releasing as the suspension compresses.

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • Ciaran500
    jmj wrote:
    Take a good look at the top pivot of the triangle linkage. That's the one that makes the racket on my Meta (and others have reported this on the Commencal forum)

I run this bolt very slightly loose. If it's nipped up tight it sounds like my frame's about to crack in half. Think it's the plastic washer type thing binding and releasing as the suspension compresses.

J
    Thanks, I'll give it another look when I get a chance.
  • Ciaran500
    jmj wrote:
    Take a good look at the top pivot of the triangle linkage.

No dice :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78uPhwmyg0 - Made a video of it, you can clearly hear the noise there.

Certain its the shock fault now. The other question is whether its worth getting a full service or should I just buy the seals and lube and give it a good through cleaning.
  • jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    Personally I'd send it to Mojo, then if there is anything nackered internally it'll get sorted, rather than spending time and money changing seals and oil to find it's still making dodgy noises.

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06