Lycra - Do I have to?

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
There are those of us who look absolutely great in lycra and there are those who just look like a lump of plastercine stuffed into a small plastic bag - sadly I fall into the latter. I 'm not fat but I bulge in some of the oddest places, plus I get that 'bagginess' between the legs after a while (sorry for the mental imagery). So rather than go through the ritual humiliation of I wear lycra shorts under some baggies and wear a rugby top instead of a lycra top.

Since I started riding again I have noticed even the people on the shoppers are clad in multicoloured condoms, and I must admit I'm feeling a bit left out. The question is do I stick to what's comfortable or punish society and get a lycra kit? I know the answer, but I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts, and I'm also slightly bored, sat in the back yard on the laptop...

And no, I ain't shaving my legs! Not gonna happen, ever, ever!

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Get the lycra look! You'll soon notice the bulges moving to more appropriate places. I look horrid in lycra too, but it is more comfortable and not as hot and sweaty as other clothing.

I'll never shave my legs either...... I don't have massages every morning so there is no need
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    guilliano wrote:
    Get the lycra look! You'll soon notice the bulges moving to more appropriate places. I look horrid in lycra too, but it is more comfortable and not as hot and sweaty as other clothing.

I'll never shave my legs either..... I don't have massages every morning so there is no need

Just wait until you fall off and they have to clean the wound!!!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Been there, done that. Never had a problem with wound cleaning on hairy legs before. It's not like I'm a bear
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    bibshorts are more comfortable than baggies - way more, but you do what you feel comfortable

shaving isn't that necessary
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Anonymous
    I haven't got hairy legs. I wish I hadn't stopped shaving over the winter after my last 'off'!...

Anyway, Bunneh, choose the clothes you like and don't give a t0ss what otter people think!
  • jos2thehua
    jos2thehua Posts: 76
    Yeah, I have no reason to shave my legs either because I don't get massages and the last time I shaved in places other than my face... :roll: :oops: ...I itched for days.

On the topic of the lycra, I would say do what is most comfortable for you. Don't make it into a popularity deal. Just do what your personally feel is correct. Don't rely on other people to make decisions when it comes to comfort. That's a huge mistake!
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    I don't want to be seen in lycra shorts either.

So I bought these mountain bike shorts to wear over the top. http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=106 They are not too baggy and also comfortable for touring (I have just got back from a week touring southern Wales).
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    You gotta go with what's comfortable for you, even if that isn't going to be so comfortable for those that see you! :lol:
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    You don't have to wear lycra.

Just cycle naked. :idea:

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070609/070609_nakedbike_vmed_6p.widec.jpg

EDITED to make it 100% worksafe. You never know, you might work somewhere where the sight of a naked man on an extremely tall unicycle is a sacking offence.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    No you don't need lycra. It horrible sweaty overpriced rubbish . There got that off my chest. I regularly do 100milers in just ordinary clothes, comfortable. I tried lycra but it is just just horrid, and I do look look stunningly good looking in lycra too. Shame really! :twisted:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    volvicspar wrote:
    No you don't need lycra. It horrible sweaty overpriced rubbish . There got that off my chest. I regularly do 100milers in just ordinary clothes, comfortable. I tried lycra but it is just just horrid, and I do look look stunningly good looking in lycra too. Shame really! :twisted:

you must look like and smell like a complete meff riding 100miles in day clobber! :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    volvicspar wrote:
    It horrible sweaty overpriced rubbish .

Well a man who drinks volvic would know all about "overpriced rubbish"
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Order of priority:

1. How comfortable you feel. :D

2. How cool you think you look 8)

3. How ridiculous you actually look :shock: :oops:

Personally, I don't give a stuff about 3, so I wear lycra for the other two reasons.

Have you tried purpose-designed MTB baggy gear? It is a good compromise. For me, the best thing about "proper" cycling kit is the way it deals with perspiration. For that reason, I never wear anything cotton on the bike. A soggy rugby shirt doesn't appeal.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    anyone who wears a rugby shirt other than for the purpose of playing rugby football should be taken out and shot for crimes against fashion :lol:

are you jeremy clarkson?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Um, it is entirely possible...I do wear jeans an awful lot...with shirts...Oh.My.God...shoot me now!

*runs off crying*
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You can get MTB baggies with pads - try Endura or Gore. They are fine on any bike but don't really go with skin tight tops. I go for this option when commuting.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Anonymous
    I like tweed. And I don't mean the perfume...

http://www.rapha.cc/timothy-everest-and-rapha-threepiece-cycling-suit
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited June 2009
    Why Lycra is the only way to ride, at least for me anyway.

- More comfortable. The clothes are purpose designed for road cycling. T-shirts and shorts are not. The extra padding makes a huge difference and I am not sure how you could ride more than 2hrs without it consistently without being in a lot of pain.

- Sweat. Designed to be breathable in the right areas and any sweat drys very quickly from the material as does rain.

- More aerodynamic. This should be self explanatory.

- Compression. The tightness on the legs is useful.

- Rear pockets. Exactly what you want which you can't get with a t-shirt.

- Takes up little room. If you want to take a gilet or leg/arm warmers, lycra takes up very little room so you can carry it in your pockets easily.

- Dangerous. Lose bits of clothing flying around could get caught on a branch or on other riders.

- Looks. Much more original, exciting and attractive. Helps identification.

- Race. If you want to race, lycra is a given.

I guess it depends on how seriously you want to take the sport and to what extremes. Everyone can ride how they wish as more bikes on the road the better. I would advise lycra if you want to ride faster in more comfort and style especially for longer distances.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Yes, you do.

Next!

(Also try riding in the boiling heat wearing a rugby shirt)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Landlocked
    Landlocked Posts: 37
    First post on the road forum and thought i'd add my two penneths worth...

If i'm doing a long run, its got to be lycra, but on my daily commute, i wear MB padded shorts and cheap Decathlon cycle tops.

just dont feel comfy walking into Starbucks in tight Lycra!!
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Always worth remembering the weight loss gains of lycra; first time you see yourself in the mirror you never eat a proper meal again :shock:

Go with the majority here - wear what you want. You might change your mind later but only do that if you want.

Freedom - a wonderful thing.
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    Landlocked

Just wear what you are comfortable in. No-one is forcing you.

And even if someone on here says - 'Oh but Lycra's essential', they are not you.

I wear Lycra for Audaxes, weekend training rides and comuting. When out for a pootle with my 10yo daughter I might, but I might not.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Landlocked
    Landlocked Posts: 37
    thank Lycra Man.

I do wear lycra, but my run into work is only 6 miles so i dont get that hot etc.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I wear lycra so my wife and children can laugh at me. Cheers them up no end, especially my 'Pampers' shorts and the 'Freddie Mercury' bibtights
  • keef66 wrote:
    I wear lycra so my wife and children can laugh at me. Cheers them up no end, especially my 'Pampers' shorts and the 'Freddie Mercury' bibtights

I can go along with that one.

Lycra is not a problem for me or my somewhat oversized 92Kg body. Indeed, I have been referred to by colleagues as 'a legend in his own lycra'. Not too sure that's a compliment, but do I care?

As for the family...quite happy to embarrass them by returning from a ride in my lycra when friends, young and older, are round.

Then there's the put down from my 20 year old son who has for the last 3-4 years referred to me as 'Big Daddy'. I don't think he is talking literally but it's more of a Shirley Crabtree reference!
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Bunneh wrote:
    Since I started riding again I have noticed even the people on the shoppers are clad in multicoloured condoms, and I must admit I'm feeling a bit left out. The question is do I stick to what's comfortable or punish society and get a lycra kit? I know the answer, but I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts, and I'm also slightly bored, sat in the back yard on the laptop...!

Baggy clothes tend to act as a parachute relative to lycra - worth keeping in mind, especially as you get into cycling more.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    anyone who wears a rugby shirt other than for the purpose of playing rugby football should be taken out and shot for crimes against fashion :lol:

are you jeremy clarkson?

Brilliant!!!! :lol: