Any Roadies Use Hydration Packs?

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
Do any of you guys use hydration packs when road riding? I'm finding that two bottles of water aren't enough for long rides, i don't have a cafe stop either so i'm not able to ask them for a refill......

If so, what sizes do you use, 1L or 2L?

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Nope. Two 900ml bottles usually do a fair distance (I'm not much of a drinkier). There's always garages, etc. to get water for refills if you're desperate. Or you can buy carriers to put a bottle or two on the back of the saddle.

For me, a hydration pack on the MTB is a necessary evil - it's the only way I've found to avoid gunked up or lost bottles.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Thanks mate, i'll see if i can get some bigger bottles, as the ones i have are of the smaller type, i believe you can also get the special vests that have the bottle compartments on the lower back? I've seen them wear them on tours, and the guy gets past all the bottles through the car window and he puts it in his back.....
  • hutty72
    hutty72 Posts: 4
    Just use 2 bottles 750ml. Plenty of public toilets where i live in the lakes so can plan a route and refill when needed. carry some high5 sachets so can put some carbs in aswell.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    For long rides (4+ hours or so) I use couple of bottles + camebak racebak. Its got a 2 l capacity. Its a base layer that fits under normal cycle top so quite aero (indeed for TT it claims to be more aero than not using one). Pretty much a must for long TT as bike's only got one small bottle mount.

Also use this for racing as easier to drink from than reaching down for bottles and no risk of losing bottle.

Giving it a real test in 100 mile TT I am doing tomorrow.

PS: There arent special vests where you can put bottles in back. They are just normal cycle tops. Prior to getting Camelbak for long rides I'd carry 3x750ml, two on the bike one in centre back pocket.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob
    PPS before using Camelbak I tried using the bottle mounts that fit behind saddle. However found these not to be so good as quite often lose bottles, especially on sketchy descents.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Don't use one but if two 700ml are not enough for very long rides and you don't have an option to refill then it might be worth considering.

Keeping hydrated is so important and the drop off in performance from even a small level of dehydration is quite something.

On that super long and hot stage in the Giro, apparently each rider got through 40-50 500ml bottles!! That is 20-25 litres which goes to show how much it is required. Addmitedly it was amazingly hot, very long, they were racing and were also using the water to spray themselves to cool down but even so. About 4000 litres or so for everyone!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Soni wrote:
    Thanks mate, i'll see if i can get some bigger bottles, as the ones i have are of the smaller type, i believe you can also get the special vests that have the bottle compartments on the lower back? I've seen them wear them on tours, and the guy gets past all the bottles through the car window and he puts it in his back.....
    That's just a tight jersey that keeps the bottle where it's put. No special vests.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    sis do 1ltr bottles available at Wiggle
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've used a small camelback slipstream (my wife's) on long rides, 1,5l bladder with room for a few extra bits, plus 2 600 or 750 bottles. Water in the bladder and energy drink in one or both bottles.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I use a camelbak for longer rides but then I've always been used to carrying stuff on my back from my off-road running exploits; it just doesn't bother me the way it does some people. Most roadies hate 'em but I did see quite a few on this year's Fred Whitton, I suppose they might have been moonlighting mountain bikers for the most part. I've got a 2l and 3l 'bak, and figure on getting through about half a litre an hour.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    I use a Camelbak Hydrobak (1.5L) when i go on a long ride where i don't know in advance whether there are any shops to buy water.

It's pretty slim and after a few minutes you forget that it's there. It's much easier to have a drink from when you are working hard than a bottle. I'm not a great drinker and find that when i use it i drink much more than normal.

It also has a little zip pocket which is handy for carrying some extra provisions.
  • i seem to need a lot of fluids on the bike. i use both 800ml water bottles and a camelbak racevest. i find the racevest invaluable as it's so handy and i don't have to stop and sometimes there are just no shops open or to hand when you need them, particularly when you're cycling in remote areas.

if i'm going on a long ride on a hot day i'll go through a 1 x 800ml carb drink, 1 x 800ml water, and a racevest (2 litres) of 4:1 carb/protein drink.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I have an aqua-rack on the seatpost, that will allow me to carry a total of 4 bottles if I need to, I took 3 -800ml bottle today,, and didn't quite finish the 3rd. There are other methods of fixing one or two bottle cages behind the saddle.
  • bahzob
    Just finished 100 mile TT on quite warm/hot breezy day. Happy to say that racebak worked fine, along with 750ml bottle mounted between bars. Took a few sips every 5-10 mins or so and timed things well, with around 300ml left at end of ride.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • plankton
    plankton Posts: 78
    I use a Camelbak for hot long rides. I fill it with just water and have a stronger energy mix in a bottle. This way I can also get a refreshing face wash if it's really really hot and adjust my energy drink intake at the same time.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    bahzob wrote:
    Just finished 100 mile TT on quite warm/hot breezy day. Happy to say that racebak worked fine, along with 750ml bottle mounted between bars. Took a few sips every 5-10 mins or so and timed things well, with around 300ml left at end of ride.

I've just finished that one too. I took 2 750ml bottles on the frame and 500ml bottle in my jersey pocket, and I still finished in a state of decline because of dehydration. I'll probably ride another 100 this year and if I can't talk herself into standing by the road with a couple of hand-ups I'll being getting myself a racebak.
  • arnie-77
    arnie-77 Posts: 61
    SIS do indeed have a 1000ml waterbottle - pretty sure you won't get it to fit in your bottle holder though... though....
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • bahzob
    bahzob wrote:

I've just finished that one too. I took 2 750ml bottles on the frame and 500ml bottle in my jersey pocket, and I still finished in a state of decline because of dehydration. I'll probably ride another 100 this year and if I can't talk herself into standing by the road with a couple of hand-ups I'll being getting myself a racebak.

Wasnt the Hounslow event by any chance?

Not trying to sell racebaks but I find when doing TT its dead easy to drink without having to shift position. Only frustrating thing is that Camelbak have an add on "tube director"
    http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/accessories/tubedirector.aspx
    that lets you position the tube exactly where you need it. I had to buy this separately but found its worth it. Shame it doesnt come as standard on the racebak given its purpose.

Few other things to note
    - a jersey/skinsuit with a full length zip is handy, otherwise need to be a bit of a contortionist or need helper.
    - When bag full and in TT position might find back of TT helmet rubs against pack. Not a problem for me but might be for others. "Solution" is to put less fluid in. Benefit of sorts is that reminds you to drink early on.
    - I found around 200ml left at end of TT. Think because tube runs to top of bag so cant suck up dregs when back is flat. Will try putting bag in other way so tube at bottom.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • - I found around 200ml left at end of TT. Think because tube runs to top of bag so cant suck up dregs when back is flat. Will try putting bag in other way so tube at bottom.

err.... all of the camelbaks are designed so that the tube should be at the bottom for this very reason. the tube will also be quite a bit shorter then as well. why would you ever think the bag should be placed so the tube would be at the top? it makes no sense at all.
  • bahzob
    - I found around 200ml left at end of TT. Think because tube runs to top of bag so cant suck up dregs when back is flat. Will try putting bag in other way so tube at bottom.

err.... all of the camelbaks are designed so that the tube should be at the bottom for this very reason. the tube will also be quite a bit shorter then as well. why would you ever think the bag should be placed so the tube would be at the top? it makes no sense at all.

Makes sense if you think about riding in TT position as opposed to upright.

So, assuming you have a flattish back the bag is horizontal. Which means the outlet hole at the "bottom" of the bag is actually on its top side.

So next ride I'll flip the bag over so the tube is still, of course, at the bottom when vertically but also on lower side when bag is horizontal.

Put another way I'll flip it 180 degrees through its long axis.

Hope that's clear...
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Ugh, wouldn't be able to stand a camelback on the road, would annoy the hell out of me (& I own 2 for mtbing).

As for
    It's much easier to have a drink from when you are working hard than a bottle.

What? me thinks some practise is in order. It is prefectly possible to drink at all but anerobic levels and without looking down, which is necessary for bunch racing.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    bahzob wrote:

It was indeed. After good first 50 miles I blew it by getting dehydrated and the final 10 miles was an exercise in suffering. I made a tatical mistake in not having a bottle hand-up or leaving a couple of bidons in one of the lay-bys. The latter would have cost me 20 seconds and given me 15 minutes.

I took a look at the Racebak on Wiggle last night and my finger did hover over the 'Add to basket' button. Does it cause much of a heat build up?
  • bahzob
    bahzob wrote:

It was indeed. After good first 50 miles I blew it by getting dehydrated and the final 10 miles was an exercise in suffering. I made a tatical mistake in not having a bottle hand-up or leaving a couple of bidons in one of the lay-bys. The latter would have cost me 20 seconds and given me 15 minutes.

I took a look at the Racebak on Wiggle last night and my finger did hover over the 'Add to basket' button. Does it cause much of a heat build up?

Bad luck..I suffered too but due to saddle not drinks. Like said 2l in Racebak 0.8 in Aero bottle on bars and a bit from bottle on bike was enough. Had a bit left in racebak at end + bottle on bike was quite full.

re heat build up: I havent noticed any yet. Used it Sunday and on all three days of Tour of Wessex which were pretty hot. There's an insulated pad that sits between the reservoir and your back and the material that the vest is made of is lightweight and breathable, not noticed it making me sweat any more.

Havent tried option yet but if weather is forecast to be really hot could do part mix water/ice cubes or even freeze whole reservoir. In this case might actually help keep temperature down. If dont do before will most likely have to try out when in France/Italy over summer.
    Martin S. Newbury RC