Custom cassette building (myself)

slowbutkeenMag
slowbutkeenMag Posts: 17
edited June 2009 in Workshop
I have a 9-speed Shimano cassette. Currently the top three sprockets are 21-24-27. They are on a spider. I want to have a cassette that goes up to 30. I plan to sacrifice the 13. My question is - can I use the cassette I have now (or a brand new version of the same), including the spider that holds the current big three sprockets, and simply add a 30 on the end (with a spacer). Or does the spider have to be at the end?

I'm old to riding, but new to doing my own work on the bike (beyond the most basic of maintenance). Any advice gratefullly received.

Magnus

Comments

• I haven't made my own cassette yet but was thinking about it the other day, and found these are answers.

Sheldon Brown said it’s ok to just add and gives more information on making custom cassettes here (about 2/3 rds down the page)

They also sell custom cassettes if you want to buy one instead.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I thought about doing this too.

But, I was in my LBS this morning and decided to get advice on what was possible. They advised against anything over a 28. They said 29 may be possible but 30 wouldn't work.

Therefore, I think I am going to go with a BBB 12-28 frome on of these outlets:
    Greyville (£45).
    Dotbike (£40).
    Rich
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Or:

Parker Int'l (£35)

I also fancy one of these BBB cassettes. I've seen one close up, and they don't look too shabby, but they are heavier and probably not as hard wearing as the SRAM Rival/Force cassette I'm using.

FYI: The ratio of the BBB cassette is: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
    It looks pretty hill-friendly.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    why dont you go out and ride, rather than getting anal about trying to get 3 more teeth on your cassette, maybe if you spent the extra time riding, you wouldnt need the extra 3 teeth.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    cullen_bay wrote:
    why dont you go out and ride, rather than getting anal about trying to get 3 more teeth on your cassette, maybe if you spent the extra time riding, you wouldnt need the extra 3 teeth.

oooh hark at her.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Miche also sell individual 11-30t sprockets for Shimano 9sp.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Anything bigger than 28T generally will require an MTB mech - the sprockets foul the jockey wheels. Cassettes are generally constructed with the ramps/teeth profiles optimised for shifting - assuming you can get the spacing correct, mixing sprockets may still mean the shifting might still be fairly clunky.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Rich
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You can convert the cassette as you describe. It may not change quite as well from the 27 to 30 or 12 to14 but it works OK. The rear mech is a bigger problem. It has a recomended limit of 27 teeth but will run 28 OK. On some frames you can go bigger but this depends on the geometry of the mech hanger. Some work, some don't.