which hope brake mount adapter?

stu8975
stu8975 Posts: 1,334
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
my mate is stumped on which adapter he needs to fit i.s forks...setup...i.s forks...postmount caliper (mono m4) 183 rotor...we both thought it was mount 'J' but this doesnt work..looks like a bigger rotor would be needed..and help appreciated..pics are with mount 'J' fitted..

DSC00214.jpg
DSC00215.jpg

Comments

• gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    This may sound a little silly but is the 'J' mount on the correct way round i.e. top to bottom?

Sometimes there is a very slight change in angle of the caliper mount holes in relation to the fork mount holes which is not immediately visible to the naked eye - the mount adapter looks symmetrical when it is actually slightly offset - and when flipped over the disc and caliper match up.

I only say this because I had a similar problem with one of the other Hope mounts (IS caliper to post mount forks) which resulted in a self inflicted "slap to the head" when I realised that it was on the wrong way round. I was on the verge of abusing my LBS for giving me the wrong mount...

Just thought I'd ask.....

• stu8975
    Yes its on the correct way as far as im aware..'J' at the top with with raised bolt holes agianst back of the I.S. mounts on forks...this is the only one that is stated to fit and there was no mention of needing a bigger rotor like on some mounts, ive tried my adapter from my rear brake (07 mono mini) - mount F and that fits a bit better but still not lined up correctly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is the fork? and what is the adaptor?

photo from the other side so i can see what is actually happening.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stu8975
    Forks are 07 fox f100rl w/I.S.mount, hope mount 'j' which is stated for I.S. fork mount to postmount caliper w/183mm rotor, but as pic shows it doesnt work. The caliper is sitting way too high so the pads only just catch the top of the rotor, linky for adapter below. Havent got any more pics as hes took the bike home .Looks like it would work with a 203mm rotor but its overkill for what he uses it for. When fitted with hope mount 'F' this brings the caliper more onto the rotor but still isnt lined up correctly.

http://www.hopegb.com/voir_hbm_image__t ... age_1.html
  • nicklouse
    do you have the picture from the caliper side?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stu8975
    na havent got any more pics..improvised a bit if it helps, not actual brake..see pic below...
    If you imagine black mount attatched to i.s. mount on forks, but caliper sits approx 10mm further to the right so it nealy clears the rotor altogether.

avid-ball-bearing-5-07-mtb-front-disc-brake-with-160mm-rotor-black-2008-front-.jpg
  • nicklouse
    and what good it that?

pics of the fork, the, rotor and The caliper and i may be able to tell you what is wrong.

Wow that avid brake is fine. what Fing good is that.

Sorry but FFS.