Tyre Advice for Training - Continental GP4000s or Armadillos

HighgateN6
HighgateN6 Posts: 30
I seek counsel from the wise men and women of the board again.. I am confused again….. surrounded by indecision and inertia! :oops:

I have bought the Continental GP400s tyres:

1. Compared to the Specialized Armadillos I am going 4k faster on the flats and 1-2k faster on the hills, much more comfortable, more grippy. I can reach a much higher Cadence much easier ….I have not had a puncture yet, probably better in the wet.. :)

2. However, what should I do because I feel that the Armadillos were heavier, slower and increased the leg strength…Should I train on the Armadillos and when I go to the Alps on long endurance use the Continentals? :?

3. Or should I use the Continental and keep the Cadence and Heart rate high and enjoy the comfort, grip and speed that the Continentals bring? I mainly go up and down hills in Highgate. :? :roll:

What should I do I am confused…! :? :?

In complete painful inertia about this decision and would love the advice of the forum again!!! Thanks to everyone for their last posts…... :?
:? :? :? :!: :?: :?: :?: :idea:

Comments

• nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    It seems a bit odd to me thinking about deliberately training on a tyre that slows you down.

If you've got a faster tyre, but still want the hard work out why not just pedal harder :wink:

IMO a good training tyre is the lightest, fastest tyre that doesn't puncture too often or get cut up before it wears out. Everyone has their own definition of "too often" and "wears out".

Michelin Krylions work for me, but there are lots of other choices that work well for other people.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    nmcgann wrote:
    If you've got a faster tyre, but still want the hard work out why not just pedal harder :wink:

+1.

Matthew
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Michelin Krylions work for me too
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    HighgateN6 wrote:
    1. Compared to the Specialized Armadillos I am going 4k faster on the flats and 1-2k faster on the hills, much more comfortable, more grippy. I can reach a much higher Cadence much easier ….I have not had a puncture yet, probably better in the wet.. :)
    4km/h faster ? maybe if the armadillo's were @ 30 psi.

What's important is that the GP4000s were more comfortable. The armadillos are more puncture resistant and do last longer but if you find them uncomfortable then don't use them. Any speed difference between the 2 would be too small to notice, they're both tough training tyres.
  • HighgateN6
    HighgateN6 Posts: 30
    Thank you all so much for making it clearer....It is the comfort that I am feeling the rest is a delusion of speed.... very good I love Zones of comfort will stick to them they are the best....

The GP300s are about though 0.5 -1km faster on a hill and definately 2-3k faster on a flat....Will keep them on until I get too puncture prone and will go back to the Armadillos worst case....Pedal movement is easier..

Thank you every one again :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :D:D:D:o:o:) 8)