Carbon road bike and speed bumps

beaniesurrey
beaniesurrey Posts: 3
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Hi, my mate decided to take my carbon framed Trek out for spin - but he decided to go (at speed) onto a slightly gravelled track with quite a few speed bumps without telling me! :( Should I be worried? I have checked the bike over, haven't noticed any cracks so far...

Comments

• gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    yes
    and I would check the wheels for broken spokes

and while your at it - look under the crank for road kill

??????

and by the way you have heard of "Paris Roubaix?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ever watched the Paris Roubaix?

Your bike will be fine!

Welcome to the forum by the way :D
  • Cheers NapoleonD. First carbon bike so being a bit sensitive about it I guess - I am sure everyone was the same on their first one :-)

BTW, have certainly heard of the Paris Roubaix, but always thought they had special set ups for their bikes unlike bog standard off-the-shelf machines.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    My lugged carbon Bianchi cracked at the junction of the seat tube and top tube when I hit a pot hole. I got a replacement on warranty and the 2nd one cracked in the same place sometime on the cobbles during the Tour of Flanders sportive and was replaced on warranty The 3rd one - well I sold it without building it up and am now riding a Cervelo.

So, most carbon frames are OK, but it is worth checking over.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    If it won't cope with speed bumps or rough road surfaces it isn't fit to ride anywhere. I'm sure it'll be OK. If it's not, it's faulty.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    You actually lent your mate your best bike? :shock:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    markos1963 wrote:
    Your frame will be fine. Just don't let it get wet :wink:

or ride under power lines
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Anonymous
    markos1963 wrote:

or leave it in the garage in sub zero temperatures.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    NapoleonD wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

or leave it in the sun :P
    regards,
    dbb
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It should be no problem. My 2000 Trek 5200 has done the Tour of Flanders sportive and then the Scotton 100 which is 100K with 50% off road, some of which is more suitable for MTBs. I was passing some of these as well so it got some stick. The only damage was a puncture. Good carbon is plenty strong enough.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I got passed last night by a guy on a shiny new carbon bike. I swear I caught up with him 5 minutes down the road where he had stopped to carry his bike over the cattle grid
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dbb wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

or leave it in the sun :P

+1 I have heard they WILL melt.
  • Anonymous
    They do, at the end of the Tour during blistering heat, all the pro's bikes look like they were moulded by Dali.
  • Barry Nice
    Barry Nice Posts: 50
    APIII wrote:
    I got passed last night by a guy on a shiny new carbon bike. I swear I caught up with him 5 minutes down the road where he had stopped to carry his bike over the cattle grid

I swear I have a friend who does this with his Alu Pinarello :roll: . He also wont take it out in the rain and the LBS owner swears its cleaner now than when he sold it straight out of the box :lol:
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I with Geoff_SS and NapoleonD. They are bicycles and they had better be able to stand up to the usual, and sometimes unusual, road conditions(carbon, steel, whatever).
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Carbon fibre is actually a form of liquorice, if you are ever lost in the out-back, simply leave your carbon frame in the sun until soft ... and you have a supply of nourishment until help arrives ... :wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    A carbon road bike will be fine as long as it's make from diamond rather than graphite or bucky balls.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    Hi, my mate decided to take my carbon framed Trek out for spin - but he decided to go (at speed) onto a slightly gravelled track with quite a few speed bumps without telling me! Should I be worried? I have checked the bike over, haven't noticed any cracks so far...

What about cracks in your [former] mate, after you'd beaten the crap into him?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I haven't laughed so hard on a bike forum in all my life. Especially "Carbon fibre is actually a form of liquorice..."

FWIW - my carbon bike hangs on my living room wall. Too afraid to ride it. Ever.
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    It's all new to me...
    I've never heard of this carbon fiver... Is it a new credit card or sumthin'?