Boardman frames

Si78
Si78 Posts: 963
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

Whilst faffing around with my Boardman I found a small 'Made in Taiwan' sticker hidden under the cables under the BB.

Are Boardman frames made by Merida???

Si
Why has my sig been removed by the admins???

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    99% of all quality frames are made in Taiwan.

Merida are just one of many frame makers in Taiwan. but they maybe.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Si78
    nicklouse wrote:

Cool, didnt realise so many frames were made there!

Was just curious as to who had taken the time to grind down all the welds smooth :D

Cheers nicklouse

Si
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    They aren't made by merida, they are made in that factory owned by giant who produce frames for a multitude of different manufacturers.
  • Si78
    rwalworth wrote:
    They aren't made by merida, they are made in that factory owned by giant who produce frames for a multitude of different manufacturers.

Cheers, how did you find that out? There seemed to be a bit of secrecy over who makes the Boardman frames, so I was curious.

As long as they are not made by apollo or shockwave im happy :D

Si
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    nicklouse wrote:

That seems a slight over statement.

Maybe 90% of big chain sold bikes are made in Taiwan, but surely not 99% of all quality frames?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Santa Cruz, Chumba, Orange, Whyte, Nicolai and some others aren't made in the East.
  • Uncle Peter
    Uncle Peter Posts: 324
    Don't Orange have some of thier frames made in Taiwan?
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    Si78 wrote:
    rwalworth wrote:

Cheers, how did you find that out? There seemed to be a bit of secrecy over who makes the Boardman frames, so I was curious.

As long as they are not made by apollo or shockwave im happy :D

Si

Yeh tell me about the secrecy! I work in a halfords store thats how i know, but I still couldn't find out who makes the hubs lol, thats the biggest secret of them all.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    Was just curious as to who had taken the time to grind down all the welds smooth

the frames are hydroformed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroforming
  • spin_to_win
    spin_to_win Posts: 22
    You can double pass a weld and remove the bead look, (this also reduces stress at the weld) which in many industries is looked down on as unfinished anyway, many of the taiwan factorys seem to be doing that finish as Scott,specialized,giant and yes santa-cruz,orange,marin and thus whyte are being finished in this way. Nothing wrong with taiwan
  • Si78
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    Was just curious as to who had taken the time to grind down all the welds smooth

the frames are hydroformed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroforming

yes the individual parts of the frame are hydroformed, but they still have to be welded together.

The only 'un-finished' welds on my Boardman are around the BB.

All the other welded joints have had the weld material built up, and then ground back smooth. Evidently by some Taiwanese chap :D

Si
  • Si78
    You can double pass a weld and remove the bead look, (this also reduces stress at the weld) which in many industries is looked down on as unfinished anyway, many of the taiwan factorys seem to be doing that finish as Scott,specialized,giant and yes santa-cruz,orange,marin and thus whyte are being finished in this way. Nothing wrong with taiwan

Correct. Its what I do at work when carrying out a weld repair on a casting die.

My original post was because I'd found a 'made in taiwan' sticker on the bike and i was wondering who made the frames for Boardman.
    T'is a very nice frame too.

Si
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    rwalworth wrote:
    Yeh tell me about the secrecy! I work in a halfords store thats how i know, but I still couldn't find out who makes the hubs lol, thats the biggest secret of them all.

Formula I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Si78
    rwalworth wrote:

Oh yeah...my hubs are unbranded...Why are my hubs unbranded??? lol

Hmmmm, specs just says 'Richey Pro rims with sealed bearing hubs. Same on Sport, Comp and Team, so they wont be cheapies will they...

Get digging around matey, see what you can find out!

Si
  • Si78
    Northwind wrote:
    Formula I think.
    Is that good or bad?? lol
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Don't know really... The formula hubs in my kraken are not awesome, the front hub on the bottom end boardman is the same I think, rear looks a little different. The seals aren't very good but other than that they're decent enough. The freehub failed on the rear one but when i warrantied it they supplied a revised replacement so I guess that's no longer an issue.

The ones on mine are very, very similiar to shimano lx.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kazzie
    kazzie Posts: 23
    Si78 wrote:
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    The only 'un-finished' welds on my Boardman are around the BB.

Si

If you have a full sus Boardman you will also find that many of the welds on the back end are not smooth welds, this is so you can easily spot any cracks.
    The frames/bikes are assembled in 2 different factories in the far east. you can tell which bike was from which factory by the frame number.