Lovely commute home

Sailorchick
Sailorchick Posts: 202
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Had a lovely commute home last night. Its half term so very little traffic and what there was seemed in a really good mood, maybe cos its was sunny. Had a white van man sit patiently behind me all the way along one road where there was no passing spaces due to parked cars. Was almost home so on another road with parked cars everywhere had another car stuck behind who actually said thank you to me when I found a gap in the parked cars to let her pass.

However, just as I'm thinking everyones driving sensibly a BMW driver ruins it. Waiting at the bus stop outside my house and a guy comes along on a nice road bike. Was admiring the bike and wishing I could go that fast as a BMW pulls out of a junction almost taking out the bike who he obviously hadn't seen. Never heard a cyclist yell so loud and the look he gave the driver was brilliant. Thankfully I've not had such a close call yet (only one lady screaming abuse at me) but hope I handle it as well as he did.

Comments

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Somehow, you just know that BMW drivers will behave like c0cks !

I shouted rather loudly at a woman in a small people-carrier type thing who drove blithely out just in front of me on a roundabout the other evening. I saw her approaching the roundabout - I was already on it - realised she wasn't even looking for oncoming traffic, so was expecting it, but still...

But enough of the bad drivers stuff. Yes, it's lovelyto be out on a bike in the warm air. I rode home last night at 11pm in a t-shirt :)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    quote/]
    Fact of life 8)
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    But enough of the bad drivers stuff. Yes, it's lovelyto be out on a bike in the warm air. I rode home last night at 11pm in a t-shirt :)
    I've been doing that for weeks, at 00:30. :D But then again, I'm hard as nails. :P

I had some dumb blonde pull out in front of me when I was already on a round-a-bout yesterday. :evil: Glad to say the brakes are still working good. I would have so given chase, but there was a nice big hill after it.
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    I wish I could say the same. My commute home at the moment is mad, there are two main ways in and out of Blackpool to Lytham, the prom and what we call the back way. Mr gas man has decided to dig the prom up and lay new piping so that way is closed so everyone is going the backway, this is my way home and the que's are pretty long and this hot weather is making people very very angry sat in their tin cans parked up in the middle of the road and they are starting to get very aggressive with each other. Need to keep my wits about me.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    quote/]
    Fact of life 8)

There are some exceptions to the rule, me for one :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    crashedbmw.jpg
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    crashedbmw.jpg

Yes thanks for reminding me, however I was travelling at a very sensible speed at the time, the cause was most likely a catastrophic mechanical failure - def not driver error :oops:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sorry itb but you did leave an open goal :twisted: I spent ages searching for the actual pic but somehow just writing the jpg name seems nerdily funnier :lol:
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    Sorry itb but you did leave an open goal :twisted: I spent ages searching for the actual pic but somehow just writing the jpg name seems nerdily funnier :lol:

0b4954ecf10b4410b3a395c426c5dbe8.jpg

Shudder :? one lucky itboffin