Centre Parcs - Do I take my Zesty?

sharpy1
sharpy1 Posts: 100
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Hi guys.

Going to Centre Parcs (Sherwood) in a couple of weeks and was really looking forward to exploring the local trails, I even went to the extent of buying roof bars and a Thule 591 for my pride and joy. Anyways, in the small print, where you have to tell them your car details and bike details, they highly recommend against taking expensive bikes!!

After doing a quick search on here a few of the related posts are in the 'stolen' section so it got me thinking whether to risk it or not!

We luckily have lodge number 1 so wont need to commute around the park on it and lock it up with the 4 million hire bikes, and I was planning on leaving it locked inside the lodge when its not in use.

Can I have your thoughts please folks.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you have another bike you could take?
  • sharpy1
    Unfortunately not. 1 horse stable for me. :cry:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    what is everyone else doing ? I'd not use it for nipping to the pool.

To get to the trails you have to go off site - so that would be a bit of a pain, and you'd need someone to show you where to go ?
    If you go to CP - you may as well use their stuff and facilities I reckon ?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I really wouldn't bother. My friends had their little car trailer stolen at Centre Parcs last year so it does happen. I think it would be more fun to thrash the guts out of the CP hire bike and even hone your skills a bit on a steel rigid and enjoy the care-free life of leaving a shitbox bike unlocked anywhere because no-one will nick it.
  • sharpy1
    cougie wrote:
    what is everyone else doing ? I'd not use it for nipping to the pool.

If you go to CP - you may as well use their stuff and facilities I reckon ?

They are hiring when they get there.
    P-Jay wrote:
    enjoy the care-free life of leaving a shitbox bike unlocked anywhere because no-one will nick it.

Quality line, looks like Im hiring then!!!
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    The bikes are horrific there if you didnt already know
    Dont take an expensive bike as the only option is to lock up the front wheel only :shock:
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    When we went to the rip off that is Center Parcs. We kept both of our bikes locked in our 'Villa'.

They do provide wall brackets to lock your bikes to outside the property, but they aren't too secure.

I wouldn't leave the bike around Center Parcs itself, we walked if it meant leaving the bikes unattented.

Cheehee
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    Its quite common to hear of little chavs hopping the CP Fence and throwing bikes back over so leave the Zesty at home in bed.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I wanted to hire a trailer but brought along my own hack bike to tow it. Against the rules apparently, if you take their trailers they must be attached to their bikes. That means a rigid steel monster with 9 gears towing a trailer with children in up all the bl$%dy hills.

I ended up breaking the rules on this occasion.

Time enough to get yourself a hack / winter / town / dogsbody bike. Both mine came from the rubbish dump.
  • Adamsbodie
    Adamsbodie Posts: 76
    Get yourself a cheapo bike from the local rag or fleabay, Center Parcs bikes are dreadful!
    Paul
  • Nero50
    Nero50 Posts: 47
    Hi

A work friend of mine just had his beloved Zaskar nicked from centerparcs in nottingham (presume sherwood then?) last weekend. He said they ask you to register your bike details with security, including location, and his was nicked from the middle of a rack of 8 when it was outside. Stinks a bit of an inside job??? Doesnt at all give much confidence in security.

Id be gutted if i lost my Zesty.
    Zesty is here!
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    If you are going to Sherwood CP, the Sherdwood Pintes trail centre is only say 5 mins drive around the corner. The LBS on site has a selection of bikes to hire - check here; http://www.sherwoodpinescycles.co.uk/ might be an option rather than taking the beloved! :)
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    It's not just Sherwood that has an issue, it's seemingly most Centre Parcs.

I'm not sure if I should take my bike to the Loire Valley en France, whats the pikey count like over there?
  • sharpy1
    Guys, thanks for all your advice.

Have made my mind up not to take it, couldnt stand it if some thieving pikey swine robbed it!!! Just pissed off as we should be able to enjoy our sport and not have to hire a shitbox, as P-Jay so eloquently put it, for fear of some scumbag nicking our pide and joys :evil:

Depends on SWMBO but may do as hoochy suggests and nip to sherwood pines for cpl hours :lol:

Cheers again for all your terrifying stories about Stealer Parcs!!
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    Any bike that has an airshock or forks that say rockshox , fox or marzocchi on thm is fair game . Ever considered insuring your rig? I learned that lesson the hard way when my customised prophet got nicked . Had to save up over 3 months to get my Ransom to replace it