its scorching out

mountainroadie
mountainroadie Posts: 244
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
its very hot :oops: today and meant to be like that for the weekend
are any of you lot going for a cycle and if so how many miles ?

is it a normal route ?

how many gels .bars ,bottles do you take ? if any !!

and whats your weapon of choice.

Comments

• I certainly won't be commuting this weekend but will be out on my mtb somewhere. Probably a nice leisurely pootle over the Downs to a nice pub in Sompting for Sunday lunch.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    edited May 2009
    It looked a nice day so I went out this afternoon. It was a bit warm and 500ml (of calorie free electrolytes) was barely enough for 23 miles, my usual run.

I'm my own boss so all you rat racers stuck in offices - sucks to be you :P

I took it easy and did slightly below my usual pace. I thought it was calm before I set off but there are a few exposed 'hills' around and it was windy in places... nearly got blown clean off the road at one point! There were headwinds but not too bad and it was a big chainring only day.

I was hot setting off but the wind chill makes up for it when moving. Modern cycle clothing does the business and was essential today - I'm comfortable in the same gear, over a wide range of temperatures. A cotton T shirt would have been suicide. I was wearing a very thin short sleeve blue jersey and padded lycra shorts. No risk of overheating but my fluid intake was higher than usual.

Weapon of choice is a light road bike!
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Had a nice country ride, and am now wi-fi-ing in a beer garden with the missus. 8)
  • 139sroberts
    139sroberts Posts: 14
    Had the day off work so went for a cycle on my sirrus sport 2009. Did 25 miles round weston, banwell and kewstoke in decent time. Was a lovely day, have a massive tan to show for it :)

2000ml of water and 2 cereal bars.

just finished cleaning the bike, few beers down the sea front with the mrs i think then get some tea.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I went to lift my foot up at a junction near home, and it was stuck a bit.

That's how hot it was.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    will be cycling to work tommrrow for my late shift, may just have to get me legs out and put on the bib shorts :shock:

That'll terrify them in work :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    NGale wrote:
    will be cycling to work tommrrow for my late shift, may just have to get me legs out and put on the bib shorts :shock:

Yep , I'm doing the same .

An 11hr shift for me 07:00 - 18:00 :roll: , but theres only a few people in on a Saturday, so I should avoid mass hysteria . :shock:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    AndyManc wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Yep , I'm doing the same .

An 11hr shift for me 07:00 - 18:00 :roll: , but theres only a few people in on a Saturday, so I should avoid mass hysteria . :shock:

I'm on a 4pm to a 2am and again only Control staff in on weekends and the occassional director who comes in. They know what I'm like, although they haven't had the 'pleasure' of seeing me in the full lycra yet :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'll be going for a ride of some kind tomorrow... and I'll no doubt take far too little liquid and forget to drink any of it.... :roll:

Having cycled a fair bit in Oz earlier this year this ain't so bad - you've just got to dress for it...
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    This was me a couple of days ago... It would have been fantastic today in this weather,
    2 bananas, 2 slices of matl loaf,1 bar of chocolate ,1.5 litres of water , and a lucosade type thing towards the end...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/hilly-prep

and a couple of pics

Photo-0087.jpg

Photo-0089.jpg

This evenings commute to work was superb.. I added a few miles because it was so nice.Still only 14 or so miles though. More pics. I smudged the lense with my sweaty finger ...sorry!
    Photo-0090.jpg

Photo-0092-1.jpg

Photo-0094-1.jpg

And Ive been at work over an hr and I am still sat in my bib shorts..... :shock:
    Andy
  • just back from a mtb ride sitting high up on the lomonds clear blue sky
    sun beating down 8)
    breathtaking views over loch leven

1 bottle 500ml electro drink

got that just off the bike feeling :wink:

weapon= trek elite 9.9

just typing this in and made up a protein shake

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • richara3
    You will be somewhere in the distance in my 3rd picture...I can see you waving !

Andy
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Richara3/Andy - very nice! Wish I'd gotten further out of edinburgh than balerno!

Also I think I like your userpic a lot 8)

(is that a tricross sport?)
  • richara3
    Tardie.. It is indeed a tricross sport, I love it ... its just a little bit heavy compared to a pure road bike. the lighter tyres and some new wheels once I have worn through the current rims will help.

There are some nice spots in and around the big smoke...
    Andy
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    beach tomorrow

sandbanks.jpg
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I'll be going for a ride of some kind tomorrow... and I'll no doubt take far too little liquid and forget to drink any of it.... :roll:

You need to set yourself alarms or something if need be...and better to have (quite a bit) more liquid than you need rather than less...got badly dehydrated once as a kid (not on a bike), wouldn't want to feel that way again.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • AllTheGear
    StuAff wrote:

You need to set yourself alarms or something if need be...and better to have (quite a bit) more liquid than you need rather than less...got badly dehydrated once as a kid (not on a bike), wouldn't want to feel that way again.

+1 for that...

Today I had 500ml of drink, but it wasn't really enough, although I didn't notice I was sweating I was covered in salt when I got back, could end up in a very bad way indeed.
    ... and no idea ...

• doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    AllTheGear wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

+1 for that...

Today I had 500ml of drink, but it wasn't really enough, although I didn't notice I was sweating I was covered in salt when I got back, could end up in a very bad way indeed.

mmmmm its not that hot, I can run a half marathon in these temps without a drink and i really cant see you developing a thirst on a bike unless you are doing 40 milles plus

rehydrate when you get in ...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    richara3 wrote:
    Tardie.. It is indeed a tricross sport, I love it ... its just a little bit heavy compared to a pure road bike. the lighter tyres and some new wheels once I have worn through the current rims will help.

There are some nice spots in and around the big smoke...
    Andy

Mmm. I'm going to find myself at the foot of Crow Road tomorrow.... tough call between a long evening row in Stirling and the Mennock Pass on Sunday, or Crow Road and the Campsies on Saturday and a row on Sunday.

I think Mennock Pass, as I may be forced to have a Jacobean Steak in Coulter on the drive back.
  • AllTheGear
    doog442 wrote:
    AllTheGear wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

+1 for that...

mmmmm its not that hot, I can run a half marathon in these temps without a drink and i really cant see you developing a thirst on a bike unless you are doing 40 milles plus

rehydrate when you get in ...

I'm sure I could have done it without a drink, it doens't strike me as a particularly healthy thing to do though? I need to function well for the rest of the day too...
    ... and no idea ...

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll take 750ml for an hour's blast, even when the temps are cool, as I sweat an awful lot.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    Yeah, I know when I'm getting dehydrated when everything suddenly starts feeling very heavy and hard work, and I start to feel like I'm burning up from the inside out. Then I drink... :oops:

Yeah, an alarm or something. You'd think the edge would be able to do that....
  • AllTheGear
    edited May 2009
    Can you can get it to beep at waypoints?
    ... and no idea ...

• richara3
    richara3 wrote:

Mmm. I'm going to find myself at the foot of Crow Road tomorrow.... tough call between a long evening row in Stirling and the Mennock Pass on Sunday, or Crow Road and the Campsies on Saturday and a row on Sunday.

I think Mennock Pass, as I may be forced to have a Jacobean Steak in Coulter on the drive back.

Mennock Pass looks good. ( just google it) I will be cycling to Moffat later in the year. This could be part of the route home. Failing that I can get a train to Sanquhar from Polmont and cycle back . It looks like a nice 50 or 60 miles.

Andy
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I just don't seem to cope with heat, i even feel weak in the sun, i don't burn but i overheat very easlly heatstroke is always a issue, I'd say i even could do with Dertrius's thinking cap.

which i think means that it's very likely i'll take the shortest route for the tour of the Black mountains and maybe pick up some of the winter/spring sportives which are more to my running temps, I used to be the postie in shorts in feb...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, I know when I'm getting dehydrated when everything suddenly starts feeling very heavy and hard work, and I start to feel like I'm burning up from the inside out. Then I drink... :oops:

Not tried this but:
    Menu Button > Training > Alerts > Time/Dist Alert
    Set Time Alert to repeat and Alert At to, say, 15mins
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    The other option is to have a stopwatch on a continual 15 min countdown.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    But, but then I'd have to buy a watch. Think of the tan lines :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    What's one more ridiculous tan line? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:

Not tried this but:
    Menu Button > Training > Alerts > Time/Dist Alert
    Set Time Alert to repeat and Alert At to, say, 15mins

Jon, you are a living, breathing edge manual! Thanks, I'll try that today... :D