Would You Adam and Eve it !

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Lovely sunny Friday, usual end of the month madness at work, however I managed to finish in good time, excellent, lets get home and enjoy 8)

Got on the bike few miles down the road just before Elephant and Castle top round about, poxy chain snaps :cry:

Nothing I can do so I wait for a bus, all I got from the bus drivers is ‘It’s not allowed’ Cheers guys you are so helpful.

So I start walking home in my cleats, lovely ! After a couple of miles my feet are starting to hurt so I find a safe place to lock the bike up and take three busses home before getting the car and going to collect the bike.

What a wonderful way to spend one of the most glorious Friday evenings we have had for a long time.

Just to add insult to injury, I lost my best gloves whilst I was pushing my bike !

I will get off my soap box now.

Comments

• AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    Bit late now, but I carry a chain tool as part of one of those multi bike tool things, mine's a TopPeak. Never needed it myself but we did help a fellow cyclist out once. I usually carry a SRAM Powerlink, but in a pinch you can drop a link pair and drive the pin back in....
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Had my chain snap on me too this evening :/

I do carry a little multitool thingy with a chain tool though, so didn't end up as stuck as you.
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    Be happy that you are man enough to break your chain. I'vre ridden sporadically for 30 years and I've never broken a chain, You are indeed a hero.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    beegee wrote:
    Be happy that you are man enough to break your chain. I'vre ridden sporadically for 30 years and I've never broken a chain, You are indeed a hero.

Thanks Buddy, first time I have laughed since it broke 8)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's a b*ugger! It was indeed a lovely evening.

Do they allow bikes in taxis? If so, and in case you find yourself caught short in thefuture, there's a Evans and an On Your Bike on the south side of London Bridge.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    You'll generally find a taxi that will take you. Several might drive by with disgusted looks on their faces, but I figure some of them cycle too so they will stop.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    beegee wrote:

I have done it twice, Once within 2 miles on a brand new bike and once on my really REALLY old Townsend, Does that make me even more of a man ? :D:D:D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • nitesight
    nitesight Posts: 119
    What a pain. I feel for you.

I'm lucky I guess because if I can't fix it I use the most essential tool in the kit - the mobile!

Just call out the support vehicle, "Hey sweetheart, yeah I'm fine..would you mind....."

Works every time and usually if I break down near a pub then a pint passes the time, afterall I can't drive in cleats can I ! :D