Always tierd

XxxBFGxxX
XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
Hello guys

UI ride about 20m mile a day. i have a very physical job aswell. For weeks now i have been feeling very tierd. not just at the end of the day. i mean all day every day. i also have started to not sleep properly. i.e. i go to bed nackered but then cant get to sleep. and also wake up after a couple hours sleep and never get back off.

any help or advise would be good cheers.

geordie

Comments

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Time to look at your diet, I think.

If you ride 20 miles a day AND have a physical job, you need to seriously read up on sports nutrition.

Make sure you're properly hydrated, too.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    T.A.T.T. syndrome. Or to give it it's full medical name, Tired All The Time syndrome. Doctors have been known to write that on patients notes :shock: .

More seriously I've heard that lots of exercise can actually disrupt sleep patterns. Obvious question but how long are you in bed for? Do you have some quiet time before bed to let yourself wind down. Maybe lay off the caffine, especially in the afternoon and evening.

If you can, have some rest days to allow your body to recover.

Might also be worth using a sleep aid for a few nights to help re-establish some more normal sleep patterns but they're not a long term solution.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I had this at the end of five months cycling in and back every day and doing loads of high intensity exercise at lunch times.

I took a week complete rest (which I appreciate might not be easy with your job) and ate a lot (fish and chips and whatever I fancied). I feel much better now. I also bought some REGO recovery now I'm back in training to try to help me recover faster, but have yet to use it. Will use it today.
  • Echoing the above
    - diet and nutrition - including cutting out caffeine for a few weeks,
    - rest,
    but also
    - stress

And if you believe you are ok on the above then try self medication techniques.

Failing that...going to the docs for a few days of sleeping pills can reset your body. I am loath to advise pills but sometimes you just need some sleep. Bear in mind though that the type of sleep these pills give you is not a deep sleep where your muscles can grow and your body can fully replenish itself. So only use as a last resort for a day or two to jump you back into the normal sleeping pattern.

Good luck.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    dont realy get stressed at work i dont let it bother me lol.

as for diet i eat alot of tuna chicken and pasta. lots of fruit aswell.

i also drink alt of water.

there is ne other thing that dawned on me today i have an abses in my mouth above atooth. i am wondering if that could be making me feel so fooked all the time. the tierdness is like ia m on somthing if ya know what i mean feel realy dosy and not quiet with it somtimes
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above really. Sounds like you need a break, a good holiday and recharge your batteries.

Also may have a vrius or be a bit run down.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Definitely take a break XXX. I know Northerners are tough, but that sounds like a punishing schedule.

I find the hayfever season really knackers me out, with that fuzzyheaded feeling you describe. If you don't feel better after a few days rest / healthy eating etc, maybe get yourself checked out for alergies, as they can be quite debilitating.

Drinking and shagging can also take their toll! Not that I do either to excess :( , but both, combined with cycling and work will definitely wear you down. I've been trying to cut back on them - honest gov! :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wedding cakes have this problem :lol:

Seriously - nutrition is probably it. I cycled to Skipton and back along a bouncy towpath (45 miles) - first longish run after getting back into biking. My sustainance on the trip was

1) a pint of beer at Kildwick
    2) a bag of chips at Skipton
    3) an ice cream at Bingley 5 rise.

I borked spectacularly; could hardly get on and off the bike! I think I deserved it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • XxxBFGxxX
    as it happens ya mention hayfeavour lmfao i have that and asthma. i belive it is under control now loads of tablets and bloody sprays. thin this weekend i may take it easy. well after id o over time tomorrow. a lay in sunday i think.

cheers for the advise guys
  • supersonic
    The tablets can make you drowsy (depends what it is).

Also get that abcess checked - is an ifection, I had one a couple of years ago, made me feel rank.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    supersonic wrote:
    The tablets can make you drowsy (depends what it is).

Also get that abcess checked - is an ifection, I had one a couple of years ago, made me feel rank.

i know what ya feel about feeling rank mate. i wake up and taste it every fooking morning lol. have blood in my mouth some mornings.
  • supersonic
    I went to the doc and they gave ma a short course of anti biotics. Worked wonders! the abcess was under a wisdom tooth and the whole area inflamed - and it burst a few time (yuk). I found rinsing my mouth with a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide (1%) helped clean it out.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    had mine for a few months now and it kics shit out most days. need to get to the dentist realy
  • supersonic
    A few months, wow! I put up with mine for about 3 weeks!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    Hello guys

UI ride about 20m mile a day. i have a very physical job aswell. For weeks now i have been feeling very tierd. not just at the end of the day. i mean all day every day. i also have started to not sleep properly. i.e. i go to bed nackered but then cant get to sleep. and also wake up after a couple hours sleep and never get back off.

any help or advise would be good cheers.

geordie

Like others have said diet and hydration is paramount, i work my arse off 5 days a week and still manage to find the energy to hit the gym 5/6 days per week, then at the age of 35 i have no choice. :lol:

Just take it easy and see what you respond to best, also some dextrose/protein blend post exercise is fantastic for recovery, just make sure you get a meal an hour or so afterwards or you get the inevitable sugar crash.

Sounds to me you're overdoing it so take your rides a bit slower and stay well hydrated.

Lots of veg and lean protein is good as well, you eat crap you will inevitably feel crap.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • XxxBFGxxX
    i find the ore psta and chicken i eat the better i feel. but still get days were ia m nackered.
    mind i aint mentioned i work shifts tends to be worse when ia m on ealrys
  • Dazzza
    Well try eating more wholegrain foods, you are probably eating a lot of white foods, switch over to wholemeal and wholegrain you will find the carbs are released over a much longer period causing less fluctuations in your blood sugar level.

I get up 4.40am every morning and i work in a boning hall so it's nothing but hard work whilst im there, and i still find the time and energy to manage my exercise.

Try laying off caffeinated drinks and soft drinks, the only time i have caffeine is pre workout where i need a kick up the backside, you will find yourself with more energy as you will get less dips in energy evels as you're nervous system isn't always stimulated.

It's not about finding more energy just learning how to balance out your usage, when i come home i usually have a good hours rest before i nip out that way i can handle the strain.

Do you have to ride 20 miles per day, im assuming it's your ride into work?

Have smaller but more regular meals, say 5/6 meals per day but reduce your portion sizes.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • XxxBFGxxX
    yr the 20 mile aday is 10 ile to and 10 mile from. then i ride for fun at the weekends.

i realy need to lookinto to a more balanced diet by the sound of it. but not sure were to start.
  • Dazzza
    Yup, i find my energy levels not more just more stable so i can better handle and plan my workouts, something simple like riding that bit slower for instance will help.

Have a read of this site it has good advise and go from there.

http://www.mealplansite.com/

www.muscletalk.co.uk

Just eat plenty of greens, slow release carbs and healthy fats, good organic peanut butter and honey are good sources of carbs and healthy fats/protein just watch the calories naturally.

It's all fairly simple just adjust things slowly so you can settle in, it's hard knowing what to eat at first but you will settle into a routine, it's not about eating more or less just eating smart.
    Giant Anthem X
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    your abscess canot be helping , I would get that sorted asap.

I work shifts too and If my sleeping is messed up ( as it usually is ) then I feel like my legs are hollow on the ride home. Its also not all about what or how much i eat but when i eat . A wee burst of energy for the ride home always helps. Have a few rest days if you can.. sometimes it all gets a bit much. If you can have a couple of days off to RELAX AND REFUEL , you will feel better.. GET TO THE DENTIST....sorry for shouting!

Andy
  • XxxBFGxxX
    dont wrry about shouting mate every one is giving me grieve for it. but i hate dentists and rather suffer lol