Cyclist Down

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Bishopsgate, London.

Bike on the floor and bus stopped. Police there marking out.

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Sounds nasty. Hope they are ok.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Bit sh1ty!

Hope the guys alrite.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :(:(:(
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Bummer. :( Hope they're okay.

Do you know if it was a man or a woman?
  • Gazzaputt
    Police were there investigating. Bus was stop in the outside lanejust after Liverpool St station.

Bike looked ok not mangled and there was a helemt that looked intact next to it.

What worried me for the person involved was the way the Police were measuring distances etc.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    LFGSS wrote:
    Rider's bike: Black geared hybrid, "Ridgeback", flat bar with a wide black "comfy" saddle. Bike looks >5 years old.

Rider's helmet: Red. No injured parties at the scene.

PCSO at scene told me that the rider was "seriously injured but alive". PCSO wouldn't tell me anymore.

Looks like an accident between bus in the main lane of traffic and the rider caught between the bus and any traffic that may have been in the bus lane heading towards Shoreditch High St. Contraflow is in operation while pol-is calculate what happened.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    :( This is very upsetting - that is two that I know of in the last week.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :( Northern section of Bishopsgate is another horrible road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Apparently it was a woman. Mrs OSK saw the aftermath which wasn't pleasant.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Apparently it was a woman. Mrs OSK saw the aftermath which wasn't pleasant.
    was?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Hit by a bus..?
  • cjcp
    Can't find anything in the Standard online.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    this must of happened at about 10.30 on friday as i went past at 10.45 and the whole road was blocked but i couldnt see anything but loads and loads of police.

My thoughts go out to whoever it was and hope they are ok. Will look for flowers tomorrow...
  • Hi, I was the rider down on Bishopsgate on 29th May.

I've only just found this forum/thread so just wanted to say that I'm still around and on the mend. I've been having loads of physio, which has really helped, and I'm starting to walk a bit without any support. It's proving to be a long road to recovery but I'm determined to get my life back and to get back on my bike...

I can't really go into detail about what happened as things are still ongoing but if there is anyone out there who witnessed the accident I'd be really grateful if they could get in touch.

Thanks.
    A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
  • cjcp
    :) Great to hear you're on the mend and thaks for posting.

Is there any CCTV footage of the incident?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

The policeman who took my statement said that they had located CCTV footage of before and after, but not of the actual incident.
  • cjcp
    How does that work? Is it not running continuously, or is there a couple of secs delay between each frame?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    How does that work? Is it not running continuously, or is there a couple of secs delay between each frame?

Not really sure - think that the bus might have got between me and the camera.
  • cjcp
    palaeobore wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Not really sure - think that the bus might have got between me and the camera.

Do buses have cameras now, to protect the drivers?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gazzaputt
    palaeobore wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

The policeman who took my statement said that they had located CCTV footage of before and after, but not of the actual incident.

Was the CCTV from a bus?

The accident I had the CCTV came from a bus which had before and after but nothing of the actual accident.

Glad to hear your on the mend. Shook me up seeing your helmet lying in the road all on it's own was very poignant.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Glad to hear you're on the mend...Hope you're back riding soon

regards

Greg
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    palaeobore wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Was the CCTV from a bus?

The accident I had the CCTV came from a bus which had before and after but nothing of the actual accident.

Glad to hear your on the mend. Shook me up seeing your helmet lying in the road all on it's own was very poignant.

I don't really know the details - I was so doped-up on pain-relief when I spoke to the police that I didn't think to ask many questions! It's all in the hands of my solicitor now...
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Glad you're on the mend too! Hope you have a swift recovery and the legal outcome is sorted. If it was a First bus CCTV I think there set up is a frame every 2 seconds from what others have told me (know ex employees).
  • palaeobore wrote:
    Hi, I was the rider down on Bishopsgate on 29th May.

I've only just found this forum/thread so just wanted to say that I'm still around and on the mend. I've been having loads of physio, which has really helped, and I'm starting to walk a bit without any support. It's proving to be a long road to recovery but I'm determined to get my life back and to get back on my bike...

I can't really go into detail about what happened as things are still ongoing but if there is anyone out there who witnessed the accident I'd be really grateful if they could get in touch.

Thanks.
    Glad to hear (well, read) that you are on the mend. It can be a slow process but keep your chin up and keep doing the exercises :wink: Best Wishes
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Thanks for all the good wishes.

The physio says that I can do short sessions on an exercise bike (at low intensity). Luckily I wasn't riding my good bike when I had the accident so I've ordered myself a CycleOps trainer :D
  • Glad to hear you're ok - Mrs OSK was pretty shook up by what she saw (after the incident) so I'll pass on the good news. She's planning on her first commute this Friday, I'm coming along with her, and that's part of the route so will take care.
  • Glad to hear you're ok - Mrs OSK was pretty shook up by what she saw (after the incident) so I'll pass on the good news. She's planning on her first commute this Friday, I'm coming along with her, and that's part of the route so will take care.

I can imagine it must have looked pretty messy. Having an experienced commuting buddy sounds like a great way to start commuting - hope that it all goes well and that Mrs OSK enjoys it. I loved my commute in to work (didn't usually include Bishopsgate) but think I might need company the first couple of times when I go back to it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    palaeobore wrote:
    Hi, I was the rider down on Bishopsgate on 29th May.

Thanks.

Great that youre ok. Stick at it - and post on here for moral support if you need it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    palaeobore wrote:
    Glad to hear you're ok - Mrs OSK was pretty shook up by what she saw (after the incident) so I'll pass on the good news. She's planning on her first commute this Friday, I'm coming along with her, and that's part of the route so will take care.

I can imagine it must have looked pretty messy. Having an experienced commuting buddy sounds like a great way to start commuting - hope that it all goes well and that Mrs OSK enjoys it. I loved my commute in to work (didn't usually include Bishopsgate) but think I might need company the first couple of times when I go back to it.

I think a peloton of the US 1st Armoured Division may be slightly disruptive to traffic, but then who's going to argue? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I think a peloton of the US 1st Armoured Division may be slightly disruptive to traffic, but then who's going to argue? :wink:

:):):)