Global Warming or Television

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,170
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
A wind turbine that has been granted planning permission in Hastings has raised complaints from councillors because they fear it will interfere with TV signals. Crazy attitude.

One million species extinct by 2050, 4oC temperature rise or whatever it is, better do something about that then, wind turbines will/may help. But on the other hand there is nothing like a bit of daytime Jeremy Kyle to keep the ‘proles’ anesthetised is there. A real catch 22 situation if ever I heard of one.

:roll:

Edit: I changed the subject tiitle cos no one had replied.
:roll:
Mañana

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Well I was reading the other day that global warming was just invented by PC scientists to deprive motorists of their fun. It was written by a Professor J Clarkson.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Ironic really as Global Warming is only an issue in society because of TV - yes it is a classic Catch 22.

If you are interested in this sort of stuff you should read up on Beck and the 'Risk Society', he puts it all into an even wider perspective.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    johnfinch wrote:
    Well I was reading the other day that global warming was just invented by PC scientists to deprive motorists of their fun. It was written by a Professor J Clarkson.

Writing in New Scientist or the Daily Mail?
  • pb21
    passout wrote:
    Ironic really as Global Warming is only an issue in society because of TV - yes it is a classic Catch 22.

If you are interested in this sort of stuff you should read up on Beck and the 'Risk Society', he puts it all into an even wider perspective.

Quite, global warming is a breakdown in our connection with the natural world, mainly due to the notion that everything non human is a ‘resource’ to be used. This disconnection and continuation, facilitated by laws that only benefit the western view of civilization i.e. economic growth and power are all that matters, have led us where we are. Alienated and scared of nature, Seemingly going through a mass extinction event but more worried about not being able to watch eastenders or drive to the local takeaway.
    Mañana
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    MrChuck wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Writing in New Scientist or the Daily Mail?

The London Review of Sciences. :wink:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    passout wrote:

Was that before or after "Devil's Haircut"?

edit - and then I thought - hope he didn;t mean Jeff Beck - he'll think I'm thick or somehting
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Porgy wrote:
    passout wrote:

Loser.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I hear 'The Wire' is rather good...
  • pb21
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    I hear 'The Wire' is rather good...

Granted
    Mañana
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    johnfinch wrote:

"And on that bombshell....":wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I thought ex-U.S.vice president Al Gore invented global warming. Or did he invent
    the Internet? Maybe it was both. Quite a guy.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    dennisn wrote:
    I thought ex-U.S.vice president Al Gore invented global warming.

He didn;t invent it, he just really really likes it, I think. :?
  • passout
    MrChuck wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    passout wrote:

Loser.

...so why don't you kill me?

Ullrich Beck I should say.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    On the one hand, global warming. On the other, television. Which is the more important issue? One of my own favourite TV shows surely has the best way to settle the debate.....there's only one way to find out - FIGHT!!!! :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • passout
    Does anyone else think that they are sort of the same thing?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is this a Poll? Do I have to choose my favourite? Well telly at the moment is absolute sh1te, so I'll have to opt for global warming.
  • pb21
    passout wrote:
    Does anyone else think that they are sort of the same thing?

A human creation which is 99.9% bad.
    Mañana
  • passout
    Yep and both the product of technolgical progress & linked directly to consumerism.

Just for the record I do watch a bit of TV. I thoroughly enjoyed 'A Night in the Museum' last night....although I did pause momentarily to think about Polar Bears whilst the adverts were on. I'm complex see!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Did you hear that WInd Farms give radar black spots ? So the MOD fear that enemy planes could sneak in under cover of them.

Yeah most TV is rubbish. Altho the apprentice is on tomorrow.