E13 chain device

stev0
stev0 Posts: 131
edited May 2009 in MTB general
the time has come for me to replace my chainrings, cassette and chain, but hav fancied the idea of a changing from the standard tripe ring 44/32/22, to a double ring 32/22 with an e13 chain device, i use my bike for mainly all mountain riding but do ride uphill alot, just wondered if the chain device wud make any difference to climbing, i.e make it harder, and what are the main advantages of using a chain device, and is it worth it? i do ride alot of rocky, rooty steep descents. If it helps the bike is a commencal meta 5.5.2 2007.

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    What sort of chain device you thinking about??

I've just ordered an E13 bash ring to replace my outer ring, so when I crash, my bike doesn't bite me quite so hard....

It will mean that you can't use the 44t ring if you get a bash ring... But you could slightly increase the size of the middle ring, say to 36t, to compensate.

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • stev0
    chaind.jpg
    thats the sort of thing i mean
  • Chaz.Harding
    I guess if it made pedaling more difficult, people wouldn't buy and use them!

I spose it must keep your chain more secure, and allow you to use a granny ring too...

Dunno mate, as I've not used one before! Sorry!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • you only need a bash if your scraping your outer ring on rocks constantly really. You can get bash guards that cover all 3 rings though!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Well, in that case, I don't need a bash Benj... :lol:

My BB is about 15ft in the air (ok, slight exaggeration, but it's bloody high!), but every time I've come off, I've always been worried that my chain ring will try to perform some sort of surgery on the inside of my leg / calf / anywhere, really....

A wise investment for £30 if it doesn't stop me riding for weeks...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    i've got the E.Thirteen DRS bashguard and guide on a 36/22 dual ring set up.

It's silent
    It doesn't affect shifting
    36 is plenty big enough for going fast
    You will never drop your chain again
    You can bash into things until your heart is content.

£109 well spent IMO.
  • stev0
    i think im going to go for one, iv decided on the E Thirteen device DRS, have been reading up and i think i need the old version because my frame doesnt have mounts for the 05 version, am i right in saying this?, my frame is an 07 commencal meta 5.5.2, if that helps?
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    Well, in that case, I don't need a bash Benj... :lol:

My BB is about 15ft in the air (ok, slight exaggeration, but it's bloody high!), but every time I've come off, I've always been worried that my chain ring will try to perform some sort of surgery on the inside of my leg / calf / anywhere, really....

A wise investment for £30 if it doesn't stop me riding for weeks...

Exactly a bash ring will stop that